1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 ... 94
matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
9/2/22 8:26 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Congrats on your success. It is easy to be fooled into thinking that optics make shooting easier. Simpler, yes; easier, no. If you can't hold the gun steady while pulling the trigger, the red dot centered on the target is just a guarantee of a miss.

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
9/2/22 8:46 p.m.

I ran into a minor confession a couple of days ago. Years back I bought a 4.5" Sig Trailside used. It did not have elevation adjustable sights, but was otherwise awesome. I decided that I really needed adjustment for elevation, and the longer sight radius of the 6" model would be nice (at least with irons, the 4.5 balances better), so I found one of those used a couple years later a couple hours away.

Oddly, the 4.5" with simpler sights came with a test group medallion, and the 6" did not. When I sold the 4.5" I kept the medallion. I knew it didn't go with my gun, but I still thought it would be a fun representation of what the platform is capable of.

I looked more closely and the serial number on the medallion matches the 6" serial number. I bought 2 guns, years apart (time) and hours apart (distance) and it turns out that at some time before, a single person had own both and moved the medallion. The I, better lucky than good, moved it to its correct pairing while I thought I was doing the opposite.

Obscure stuff travels in small circles...

Edit: FYI, the gun was imported by Sig (right before the Mosquito), but not made by them. It is actually a Hammerli X-Esse.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/5/22 8:08 p.m.

finally had some free time today. Needed to rotate ammo and hell the mossy hadn't been shot in almost a year. So the old Tiburon fender got used. I forgot how tight a pattern that 500 keeps at 7yds. 00 buck and all went though the same hole. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/6/22 8:13 a.m.

Picked up my son his first rifle. A Ruger 10/22.  I remember my grandfather having one of these and as a kid I spent summers varmint hunting around the farm out in MO.  My son went old school with the blued barrel and the wooden stock. (I let him pick what he wanted). Just a classic rifle that will most likely be passed on to to future generations.  We have not been to the range yet with it due to non stop rain. 

More thaughts on the USP Expert.  It is interesting that it is no frills simple to operate and yet it is so perfect to use.  Years from now I could see this being compared to the 1911 in terms of defining a generation of pistols.  People have asked me about it and the only way I can describe it as the 1911 of the polymer framed pistols.  I would be interested to here what others think.

dean1484
9/10/22 9:54 p.m.
bobzilla said:

I would bolt that back on the car. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/10/22 11:07 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

If I still had a Tiburon sure. 

dean1484
9/12/22 6:35 p.m.

I would hang it over the fender on my Saab just to mess with people. If they ask I would tell them it was one hell of a hail storm. laugh

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/12/22 6:41 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

The way Indy is going it'll make me safer. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/13/22 8:24 a.m.

Last night I did a little maintenance on the EDC. The recoil spring assembly on  ATI Compact was worn and he bushing no longer supported the barrel. The Kimber 4000465 assembly is almost a drop in so I ordered it. Came in last night and I had to dremel little pie sections on the rod guide to fit properly but took 5 minutes. Lock up is better, barrel no loner has play in the slide and it cycles so much crisper with a tick less recoil.

Sorry... I took no pics because I'm dumb.

It's this little bugger

No photo description available.

stroker
stroker PowerDork
9/13/22 9:34 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

that seems like a whole lotta grip for not much barrel...  Or is it me?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/13/22 9:49 a.m.

In reply to stroker :

its the angle of the photo.

Here's what they looked like stock:

ATI Titan with dark brown grip, dark gray body on a woven gray-and-white background.

dean1484
9/13/22 12:38 p.m.

A smaller 1911?  

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/13/22 1:39 p.m.
dean1484 said:

A smaller 1911?  

Yes, commander frame, 3" bbl and slide. Mags hold 1 less than the full size. Same grip angle, same grea trigger, same contros in he same location. Transition from one to hte other is not really noticable.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
9/13/22 1:49 p.m.

Still pretty accurate?  That's an even shorter barrel than the 1991A1 Compact pictured here:

compact

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/13/22 2:41 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

That was my first 1911. Those have a 3.5" bbl. With the 3" I can ring he gong at 47 yards, but it's a bit like shooting artillery. POA is about 12" about POI. At 7-10yds it's good. Better now with the new bbl bushing. It was shooting low-left about 3". now it's just a little low about 1/2". To take the shooter out of the equation I used he 5" at the same distance and same hold and could put 3 shots in the same enlarged hole, POI where the sights pointed.

EDIT: and yes, I'm a 1911 whore. Truck sale goes through I'm buying another.

slantvaliant (Forum Supporter)
slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/13/22 3:30 p.m.
bobzilla said:
dean1484 said:

A smaller 1911?  

Yes, commander frame, 3" bbl and slide. Mags hold 1 less than the full size. Same grip angle, same grea trigger, same contros in he same location. Transition from one to hte other is not really noticable.

If it's a Commander frame, why would it hold one round less?  Commanders have the same grip length and use the same magazines as full-size (Government Models).  An Officer frame would be one round shorter ...

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/13/22 3:41 p.m.

In reply to slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) :

You are correct. I always confuse commander and officers. Officers used the shorter grip. Commanders used fs grip and 4" bbl/slide

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/13/22 3:45 p.m.

On a different note, I've switched he holsters over to the Bianchi Carrylock holsters with active retention. Very comfortable, leather and look/feel like quality. Had one for the compact for a couple months and love it. Took about an hour of practice to forget the motion of the middle fingger to release the gun and now feels normal.Got one for the 5" and its just as good. Check amazon for these things because they have pre-opened ones for less than half price that look new, but were bought, tried and returned. The 5" cost me $15 shipped.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/21/22 12:54 p.m.

Ammunition Depot is running flat rate $10 shipping on orders over $150.

I went in to maybe restock a bit and prices are still pretty high, but not as bad as they were a while back.

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
9/21/22 12:59 p.m.

I went out Saturday with dad and little bro (13)

Bro was plinking away with the .22. He doesn't like anything else because skinny kid and recoil. That's fine. I brought the BP stick and was having my own fun. 
Bro: "You had to build that gun?"

yup

"And you had to make the powder?"

yup

"And all that work just for one shot?"

yup

"Thats DUMB!"

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe Reader
9/22/22 10:50 a.m.

Wife is waiting on her CCW to come in the mail, but after a few glowing reviews and checking some out in store, she bought a Walther PDP F-series 3.5".   She told me about them having a grey compact 4" in store, so I stopped and picked it up same day for me.  She's shot both in a training class, and loves both. 

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/22/22 12:38 p.m.

I just ordered what I hope is the last part in my AR build.  I tried using low buck, found, used parts where I could and things ended up costing more than I wanted.  Last part is Daniel Defense rear sight.   The build was put on hold a few times because of price escalations.  I just waited it out until the prices returned to something like normal.

Noddaz
9/25/22 1:58 p.m.

Speaking of rifles.  What is a good low buck rifle bag to carry an AR to the range?

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
9/25/22 2:48 p.m.

I don't have any specific brands to offer; but most of my cheap stuff came from a table at a gun show. That being said, anything is fine for taking things to the range. If you find features you like and a price you are comfortable with, it's good.

I have several soft bags with mag pockets and the like, but I never use the pockets. I have a couple of Cabelas "dry boxes" that get range gear and mags. Similar to these but a little bigger:

Box

Noddaz
9/25/22 3:10 p.m.
bobzilla said:

finally had some free time today. Needed to rotate ammo and hell the mossy hadn't been shot in almost a year. So the old Tiburon fender got used. I forgot how tight a pattern that 500 keeps at 7yds. 00 buck and all went though the same hole. 

Bob, next time don't lean the target against your car.  cheeky

1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 ... 94

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xcQ01Z1JoLXE3CELjrWldew6bnN7tQnzs6zXecC4Dwcs6fuWTgGgKv9X5OFyhD9U