1 2 3
yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
1/20/15 6:19 p.m.
mndsm wrote: I can imagine that it is. But that makes me want to have a scale pirate ship and go shooting scale cannons, because I can't have anything nice.

Actually, they do that.....normally with scale ww1-2 battleships, but they use co2 bb cannons and battle til things sink.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
1/21/15 7:50 a.m.
motomoron wrote: In the mid-90s I quit racing RC cars in favor of road racing full size motorcycles 'cause it was cheaper. Truth.

Same here, only dirt bikes.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
1/21/15 8:02 a.m.

So, is it possible to get a truck/buggy better than a walmart toy without falling down a multi-thousand $$$ rabbit hole?

Second, I want a boat to play with on my 70'x120' pond. I think for that a walmart or HF boat should be enough.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
1/21/15 8:54 a.m.

Anybody know the cheapest drone with gimbal camera and GPS?

I don't need high quality video, but it would be fun to learn how to do preplanned routes and stuff with the GPS.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/21/15 11:04 a.m.

In reply to neon4891:

Yes it is. Buy one and leave it stock. The factory brushless setups blow away anything you remember. Only upgrade things that break. An occasional new body and tires drive till the wheels fall off.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
1/21/15 11:15 a.m.

In reply to neon4891:

Build your own out of balsa....cheaper yet.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
1/21/15 1:27 p.m.
neon4891 wrote: So, is it possible to get a truck/buggy better than a walmart toy without falling down a multi-thousand $$$ rabbit hole? Second, I want a boat to play with on my 70'x120' pond. I think for that a walmart or HF boat should be enough.

Absolutely. Entry level basher will run you about 200$ all in, be truly rtr and smoke damn near anything you've ever run. Its ridiculous how fast the beginner hobby grade stuff is, and its.pretty robust.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
1/21/15 1:41 p.m.
mndsm wrote:
neon4891 wrote: So, is it possible to get a truck/buggy better than a walmart toy without falling down a multi-thousand $$$ rabbit hole? Second, I want a boat to play with on my 70'x120' pond. I think for that a walmart or HF boat should be enough.
Absolutely. Entry level basher will run you about 200$ all in, be truly rtr and smoke damn near anything you've ever run. Its ridiculous how fast the beginner hobby grade stuff is, and its.pretty robust.

I am seeing min $300 for a RC10T type brushless with radio and charger, where are you seeing $200?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/21/15 2:15 p.m.

In reply to tuna55:

TRAXXAS dood.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
1/21/15 2:30 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: In reply to tuna55: TRAXXAS dood.

Love em, but $$$, no?

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
1/21/15 3:59 p.m.
yamaha wrote:
mndsm wrote: I can imagine that it is. But that makes me want to have a scale pirate ship and go shooting scale cannons, because I can't have anything nice.
Actually, they do that.....normally with scale ww1-2 battleships, but they use co2 bb cannons and battle til things sink.

They have the scale guys at my lake. Some other things they bring out are impressive in terms of firepower. Like third world nation firepower, model rockets and all sorts of stuff.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/21/15 5:02 p.m.
Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/21/15 6:53 p.m.

I can't wait for my nephews to get old enough to get into r/c. It will finally give my dad and I a excuse to overspend on it again.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
1/21/15 8:29 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: In reply to tuna55: Rustler $200 Rustler $175 Slash $150 Slash $200 Graver Digger $250

And Traxxas is what i'd call Tier 1 stuff. Step down to the more entry level IE Duratrax, ECX, Armma, etc... and it gets even cheaper.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
1/21/15 8:30 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
mndsm wrote:
I am seeing min $300 for a RC10T type brushless with radio and charger, where are you seeing $200?

You're talking associated, which is pretty much the big dog outside of small top tier racers. Associated is the king of the racers.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
1/21/15 10:27 p.m.

ok, I can't get those links to work, but are they brushless? I can't tell.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
1/21/15 10:31 p.m.

They're used, but it looks that way.

MINIzguy
MINIzguy Reader
1/21/15 10:40 p.m.

I've got a few Kyosho Mini Z's (as you can see in my username).

I want to find a good excuse to buy a indoor helicopter. I think with Radioshack closing, I may be able to pick up a cheap $20 heli.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UberDork
2/3/15 11:10 a.m.

To bring this back from the dead, I had no idea Short Course Truck RC cars exploded back in 2009.

I have found this:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__24971__Turnigy_Trooper_SCT_4x4_1_10_Brushless_Short_Course_Truck_ARR_.html

I have watched countless reviews on youtube of it. I want one, its so cheap! I don't care if its garbage (which the reviews say it isn't). At that price, they have $20 transmitter/reciever combos LOL! Plus cheap lipo batteries and cheap lipo chargers.

We have a local track, this seems like a blast for $200. And since it is 4wd, if I want to blast around in the winter, no problemo. I am a hardcore nitro guy, but I do get tired of how incredibly finicky the nitro buggies were and thousands of dollars expensive. This should be fun :)

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/3/15 2:07 p.m.

My brother was looking at that exact thing. I said for the price, buy 2 and cannibalize one for parts.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/3/15 10:45 p.m.
moparman76_69 wrote: I have a 2wd stampede that I bought on sale (the next gen stuff was coming out) at tower a couple-3 years ago. I hardly run it since I've found that it is almost as expensive as my real cars.

i have 2 stampedes. one from 1994 that i got new and is still stock, and one that i got used with aftermarket motor, speed control. then i did the widetrack conversion on it. it's a beast in the house or outside. dirt, rocks, mud, grass, snow, pavement. it's all fun

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
2/3/15 10:57 p.m.

In reply to HiTempguy:

Wow. I need a few of those. I wonder whose chassis they clomed for it.....

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UberDork
2/3/15 11:42 p.m.
mndsm wrote: In reply to HiTempguy: Wow. I need a few of those. I wonder whose chassis they clomed for it.....

Seems like a hodgepodge. It does have a center diff which is a bonus, unfortunately the front and rear diffs need to be sealed in order to fill them with diff fluid.

All the race classes around here are basically either 17.5t sensored brushless class 2s lipo, or unlimited 2s lipo. I figure if it doesn't break and I can keep it on the course, it could be a legitimate weekend warrior contender.

slefain
slefain UberDork
6/24/15 2:51 p.m.

And so the insanity continues. Today I won this at a Lexus press event:

Holy crap. Brushless, AWD, and fully ready-to-run. The battery is NiMH which is fine. I put down the fastest lap time around their parking lot R/C car course with one of their promo cars. This is my first proper on-road R/C car. I've had AWD before (a Kyosho Infrerno) but this will be new.

Part of me wants to drop the brushless setup in my Wheely King just to see what happens (probably broken diff gears).

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/24/15 4:02 p.m.
slefain wrote: And so the insanity continues. Today I won this at a Lexus press event: Holy crap. Brushless, AWD, and fully ready-to-run. The battery is NiMH which is fine. I put down the fastest lap time around their parking lot R/C car course with one of their promo cars. This is my first proper on-road R/C car. I've had AWD before (a Kyosho Infrerno) but this will be new. Part of me wants to drop the brushless setup in my Wheely King just to see what happens (probably broken diff gears).

Stick a 3s on it and the real party begins......

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sE9FJrNihy7L0eXWftieIaINWsVqlTi1HHSPpMkpLQ6jH0oPoqFuVpbOTZm1Abak