1 2
Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
12/4/23 1:48 p.m.

Here in MA, you can get "Antique plates". To get those, the car has to be 25 years old or older, and there are restrictions on when you can use the vehicle, since the cost of registration is about half of what a normal set of plates cost. You can also get "Year of Manufacture" plates which are cool. For years in MA into the 1970's, the plates have the year they were issued stamped into the plates. If you find a pair of them, and that plate number is unused, you can register your car as an antique with them! 

Registering a car as an antique has zero effect on getting a state inspection, though. Here in MA, there's a rolling 15-year emissions exemption, so they have to pass a safety inspection only. They mainly look at if it has working lights, a horn, minimal body rust, no structural rust, and a front end that isn't falling apart. They do it all on camera now, so there's no fudging it like people would do on really questionable stuff in the old days. That's probably a good thing. 

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/4/23 3:15 p.m.

But getting back to the OP's point, if there is any leeway in a rule or law people will exploit it. In Maryland I see daily drivers on a regular basis with historic tags.  

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
12/4/23 11:12 p.m.

Nine year old zombie thread...

It's always funny to start reading a discussion and find a response you wrote many years ago that you totally forgot about.

camopaint0707
camopaint0707 Reader
12/5/23 7:28 a.m.

Same deal in Pennsylvania, and I fail to see the issue.  You want your 1997 Camry as classic.  Go for it.  Emissions testing is a scam anyway.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/5/23 9:05 a.m.
Noddaz said:

But getting back to the OP's point, if there is any leeway in a rule or law people will exploit it. In Maryland I see daily drivers on a regular basis with historic tags.  

Last time I was in Easton, I saw a Honda Civic, with badly primered paint, delivering pizzas, with historic tags.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0ga4amHVy9ek2xDRYri0wKIIPArD4gklxolQoD7I21zhpEP5Qej0RkNequxJ719W