1 2
ThingWithWheels
ThingWithWheels New Reader
2/1/17 3:40 p.m.

I'm trying to find a use for 100+ of these.

They came off of some machined tubes and have a 6" ID, 1 3/4" tall, and about 1/8" thick. They are fairly rigid plastic, LDPE. I have a garage organization problem right now (by problem I mean it isn't happening) and I feel like these should have an organizational use. Maybe just screwed to the wall to hold parts or just small parts trays. Being shallow doesn't help but one could probably hold about 30lbs with just a screw and washer holding it to a board.

Other uses? Hats? Dog bowl?

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/1/17 3:46 p.m.

Throw them in the garbage. I guarantee you will subsequently find the ideal use within about 48 hours.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
2/1/17 3:54 p.m.

Parts holders for nuts, bolts, etc. when you take stuff apart.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
2/1/17 3:56 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: Parts holders for nuts, bolts, etc. when you take stuff apart.

This, and sell 'em on Ebay for $5+ ea.

ThingWithWheels
2/1/17 3:57 p.m.

In reply to Furious_E:

I've actually thrown out about 500 of these and still haven't come up with anything.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/1/17 4:04 p.m.

molds for hockey pucks?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
2/1/17 4:07 p.m.
fasted58 wrote:

Glue a cheap magnet to the bottom. Make up a mad y0 tite label, like Car Hoons Parts. Five bucks easy.

McTinkerson
McTinkerson Reader
2/1/17 4:44 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote:
fasted58 wrote:
Glue a cheap magnet to the bottom. Make up a mad y0 tite label, like Car Hoons Parts. Five bucks easy.

Neodymium disk ones are cheap

ThingWithWheels
2/1/17 4:57 p.m.
McTinkerson wrote:
Dr. Hess wrote:
fasted58 wrote:
Neodymium disk ones are cheap

Those magnets are much cheaper than expected. I would try that on a few to keep in the garage.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/1/17 5:31 p.m.

In reply to ThingWithWheels:

I'm pretty sure your garage organizational problem starts with the fact that you just can't bear to throw E36 M3 like this away.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
2/1/17 5:45 p.m.

Keep 10 for parts trays, put the rest in the recycling bin.

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
2/1/17 5:49 p.m.

Maybe donate them to a rec center craft program?

ThingWithWheels
2/1/17 5:50 p.m.
SVreX wrote: In reply to ThingWithWheels: I'm pretty sure your garage organizational problem starts with the fact that you just can't bear to throw E36 M3 like this away.

Whoa whoa whoa. One problem at a time....but also yes.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
2/2/17 10:43 a.m.

They would work well as coasters to protect the fine-finished wood surfaces in your garage. Set a cold, frosty can or bottle right in it and not have a worry about water marks.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/2/17 10:50 a.m.

Combined with 6" cardboard tubes, they seem like you could make storage containers of any size.

With clear acrylic tubes, you could even see what you are storing.

You could attach 6-8 to a circular support, then stack a few to make one of these:

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
2/2/17 11:32 a.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: They would work well as coasters to protect the fine-finished wood surfaces in your garage. Set a cold, frosty can or bottle right in it and not have a worry about water marks.

you must have a very different garage than I do ;) do you let your wife out there?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
2/2/17 11:40 a.m.
Grtechguy wrote:
1988RedT2 wrote: They would work well as coasters to protect the fine-finished wood surfaces in your garage. Set a cold, frosty can or bottle right in it and not have a worry about water marks.
you must have a very different garage than I do ;) do you let your wife out there?

No, I was joking. There isn't a "fine-finished" wood surface anywhere in sight. My garage is a mess!

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
2/2/17 11:55 a.m.

Screw as many as you can fit to the bottom of a 4x8 sheet of plywood. Flip the plywood over. Run a small piece of tubing to each one connected a compressor or blower. Mount a large fan and seat on top of the plywood. You got yourself a hovercraft. Or maybe it wont work. I don't know, I'm not an engineer. But a grassroots hovercraft would be sweet.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
2/2/17 2:02 p.m.

how about calling the place you got those machined tubes from and seeing if they would buy them from you for 1/2 the cost of new.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
2/2/17 2:46 p.m.

Recycling bin ballast.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition SuperDork
2/2/17 3:03 p.m.
Rusnak_322 wrote: how about calling the place you got those machined tubes from and seeing if they would buy them from you for 1/2 the cost of new.

+1. I know a business here that does nothing but sell used oil pipe protectors back to oil pipe companies. They make some pretty good money.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
2/2/17 10:51 p.m.
gearheadmb wrote: Screw as many as you can fit to the bottom of a 4x8 sheet of plywood. Flip the plywood over. Run a small piece of tubing to each one connected a compressor or blower. Mount a large fan and seat on top of the plywood. You got yourself a hovercraft. Or maybe it wont work. I don't know, I'm not an engineer. But a grassroots hovercraft would be sweet.

Something flexible works better, take some heavy poly sheeting or a cheap tarp, wrap it kinda loosely around a piece of plywood and staple or duct tape it down at the edge of the plywood, hold down the middle few inches down with some scrap wood or whatever, cut some air holes in the sheet near the center, connect shop vac or leaf blower to a hole in the plywood and see if it will lift your car.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/3/17 6:53 a.m.

insert into recycle bin. Have more room in garage for things that actually serve a purpose

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
2/3/17 7:41 a.m.

Fill it half full with water and freeze it. Ice coasters.

ThingWithWheels
2/3/17 8:03 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve:

I like this idea. I actually have one of these rotary bins now but it's about 4 feet in diameter and takes up too much space, need to get rid of it. This could be a useful replacement. There are some carbon fiber tubes in my garage I can't find a use for and this would be perfect. Maybe drill a couple holes in each one and use a hose clamp to hold them to the tubes.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Qr4Qyn3YIEhCXGlbPaIjAnOBYYjgWFe9CwxDd8gHEEi580eeQ0rMtWXug8op6R3i