1 ... 4 5 6 7 8
Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/28/21 11:12 a.m.

In reply to Saron81 :

That came out nice. I picked a couple up but haven't decided on decals, I'm trying to find a set to do Greg Sachs' TRW car or Lake Speed's.  Being a Long Islander we were required to cheer for Sachs when we went to Daytona in 86 abs had high hopes since he won the 400 the year before. I will probably work on the LeMans first though. 

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
1/28/21 1:42 p.m.

That's a sweet Grand Prix. Maybe we should do a Nascar theme in future months, it would be cool to see everyone's take on them laugh

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/28/21 5:17 p.m.
slowbird said:

That's a sweet Grand Prix. Maybe we should do a Nascar theme in future months, it would be cool to see everyone's take on them laugh

Daytona 500 is next month, isn't it? Could be a good February theme...

Claff
Claff Reader
1/28/21 5:46 p.m.

I'm in for NASCAR.

I solved my problem with paint misbehaving between multiple coats by just saying damn the torpedoes and quitting after a single coat. So far it's worked for me, but the sample size is small.

The '32 will be done tomorrow likely. Just have to marry the body to the chassis and stick the few remaining trim pieces on. Paint needs a little touch-up here and there but mostly on the underside so it's not a big deal if I don't get to that until after the deadline.

Photos were shot with the flash on to accentuate the difference between the black fenders and charcoal body (Interior is primer gray). Hopefully when it's done and photographed for final submission we have a decent day outside and I can take advantage of natural light.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
1/28/21 5:52 p.m.

Link to the build/review video:  Hey Little Cobra

That coupe is looking good!

Can we make it general roundy-round pavement race cars? I've got an idea or two but it would be a short track production based car. I like the more freelance ability than being locked into a NASCAR replica build.

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
1/28/21 6:12 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks! I actually wanted to do Rusty's Kodiak car... but this livery caught my eye. I don't even remember actually seeing this car on track. It didn't run in the 86 Daytona 500 for sure... which is odd given the photo below (from July maybe?) 

I've wanted to check out the Lemans but wasn't sure which one to build... lol. 
I've built a couple of 80s/early 90s nascars lately, and actually have another 2 Bill Elliott cars to do... which is odd because I probably haven't built any nascars for about 25 years prior to these! The chassis get tedious to me though, as they're all the same. I'm in for sure if Daytona is February's theme! Daytona wouldn't limit it to just nascars either!

Wally (Forum Supporter)
1/28/21 6:24 p.m.

In reply to Saron81 :

I'm not sure because it was long ago and I was 10 but I believe there was a problem in the 125s and he needed to run a different car.  I'm almost certain I saw it there as I thought the film strip paint scheme was pretty cool but it may have been at Dover. 

I'd be up for a Daytona/NASCAR build next month, it would be easier than this months project for sure as paint is fighting me every step.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
1/29/21 3:01 a.m.
ddavidv said:

Can we make it general roundy-round pavement race cars? I've got an idea or two but it would be a short track production based car. I like the more freelance ability than being locked into a NASCAR replica build.

Short track cars are basically grassroots Nascar, so I think that's appropriate laugh

Also really liking the "Daytona" suggestion. Let's see an IMSA GT Mustang or Camaro!

Heck, there's a handful of actual Nascar-type cars that were converted to race the Rolex. I have plenty of reference pictures if anyone needs them!

Wally (Forum Supporter)
1/29/21 6:01 a.m.

In reply to slowbird :

Speedweeks could work as a theme. You've got all the activities at Daytona and the surrounding short tracks for February. Pretty much any circle track and road racer fits. If noone claimed it yet I'll dig a couple things from the pretty good prize closet for the winners. 

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/29/21 9:08 a.m.

You should totally host! Return to Daytona month would be awesome. Nascar/speedweeks has a ton of options.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
1/29/21 9:15 a.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

Sounds like a plan. I'm cutting this month close as the paint and weather haven't cooperated.

BenB (Forum Supporter)
BenB (Forum Supporter) Reader
1/29/21 9:58 a.m.
slowbird said:
ddavidv said:

Short track cars are basically grassroots Nascar, so I think that's appropriate laugh

Also really liking the "Daytona" suggestion. Let's see an IMSA GT Mustang or Camaro!

Heck, there's a handful of actual Nascar-type cars that were converted to race the Rolex. I have plenty of reference pictures if anyone needs them!

The new Tamiya Mustang GT4 is an outstanding kit! It just falls together. This is the only pic I have of mine, along with the Nunu M6 GT3. There are lots of IMSA decals available for both, including some for the 2019 Daytona M6.

Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
1/29/21 10:29 a.m.

That is awesome. Love the Simpsons graphics! 

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
1/29/21 11:31 a.m.

Mr. Sparkle!!

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
1/29/21 1:18 p.m.

I like the Speed Week thing. I'm not much of a NASCAR fan and browsing offerings online I didn't find much of anything I liked. I had not considered the 24hrs aspect but think I will still stick with roundy-round which is still outside my normal tastes.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
1/29/21 3:38 p.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

Check Southern Motorsports Hobbies.  They have a pretty big selection plus aftermarket decals for almost anything nascar 

Claff
Claff Reader
1/29/21 4:25 p.m.

D'OH

Final assembly on the '32 was chugging along. I had the body on the chassis and was test-fitting the grille shell when I heard a little rattle. What's rattling? It's the windshield, which has come loose and is now resting on the seat. The only way to get to that is to crack the body off the chassis, then crack the interior out of the body. Neither of those is going to happen, so we're going to submit a car that you're going to need WWI flying ace goggles (or channel your inner '80s Satch Carlson) to drive.

This question is poorly timed, but how do you attach windshields? I've been using Elmer's clear glue, which I know isn't very grippy but, when it works, is a lot neater than regular ol model glue when dealing with clear plastic.

The Deuce is done aside from minor paint touching up and a photo shoot.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
1/29/21 6:10 p.m.

When my ancient bottle of Micro Krystal Kleer window maker ran out I first tried Elmer, but while searching for more NLA Micro I found Testors clear parts glue and window maker. It works a little better than Elmer's. I have not tried yet to make a window, the size limit for the old Krystal Kleer was about 3/16" square., so only small 1/43 scale vent windows. I have also used clear epoxy with some success, prior to finding Krystal Kleer in a model railroad shop.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
1/29/21 9:25 p.m.

Kristal Kleer is NLA???

Guess when my bottle runs out I'm done building kits. sad

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
1/29/21 9:32 p.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

Looks like Amazon still has it.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
1/30/21 12:42 a.m.

I use this stuff called Mod Podge, they sell it in the craft section. It dries clear and seems to hold pretty well, although it takes a while to set.

The Fiesta is currently in "fitting flat decals to curved surfaces" hell. This briefly overlapped with "hand-paint parts of the body with no real guidance from the instructions" hell. I'm relatively optimistic that it will turn out ok though.

The Mini is worse. After the red paint debacle, I realized I had to paint the roof white. Putting more paint on top of already messed-up paint never goes well. Also I would have put the white down first and then the red if I was thinking before I started.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
1/30/21 7:10 a.m.

Relax. You've got two whole days to finish it. wink

Hey Claff...if you can fish the windshield out of the coupe...I've used clear plastic sheet to make flat glass. You can probably just slide a piece into the backside with some tweezers. I save clear sheets whenever I get them in packaging for clothing or whatever. Much thinner than kit glass and actually looks better.

BenB (Forum Supporter)
BenB (Forum Supporter) Reader
1/30/21 8:44 a.m.
ddavidv said:

Kristal Kleer is NLA???

Guess when my bottle runs out I'm done building kits. sad

You can still get it direct from Microscale, the only downside is they have a $20 minimum order: LINK

Wally (Forum Supporter)
1/30/21 10:12 a.m.

I've been using dots of 5 min epoxy to hold in windows. 

Claff
Claff Reader
1/30/21 3:48 p.m.

Deuce is done aside from the little windshield debacle (I just saw the post recommending clear sheet, might try that if I get bored later).

Aside from that, the only other real assembly issue probably could have been fixed if I test-fitted stuff before lathering on the glue. The spare tire mount apparently should be angled back towards the body, but I put it on pretty much straight up and down. Doing this, the bottom of the spare tire interferes with the back bumper. I saved it by angling the bumper down a little, which saved me from having to remove and remount the spare mount or doing something more radical like taking a chunk out of the middle of the bumper.

Overall it's a good kit for as simple as it is. Proportions look good but the axles aren't centered in the fenders so things are a little off. The headlights don't fit well in their housings... again, stuff I could have addressed better if I took more time to build. The only thing I really didn't like were the wheels/tires being molded together.

After this small-scale car, and the snap-together Expedition before that, I'm ready to sink my teeth into a more typical level of detail kit the next time. I have a few NASCAR kits in my stash, so I don't even have to go shopping for the next one (though I might buy new decal sheets since I don't have much faith in 1995 stuff still being viable).

Thanks for the organizers for hosting as always.

The previous photos were shot with my antique D100. The picture below is with my phone. Strange how the body color seems so different between the two.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
D4urrkTP2rd9wITgfF2H7QGNB60fWYKlrnNknL0FPQqiAUgXVHbD0pXHq2G0qF2c