1 ... 628 629 630 631 632 ... 1735
GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
8/10/21 11:12 a.m.

In reply to Bent-Valve :

Sorry bro, there's  just a weirdly high number of adults who think threatening a teenager with death is somehow acceptable (?!). E36 M3 like that can't fly.

But making fun of Gary? Always acceptable. Sweaty armpit of America.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/10/21 11:15 a.m.
Bent-Valve said:

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

I haven't counted the years, in fact I haven't paid much attention to it, I saw the massive engine and laughed about that.

And just so I keep the meme thing going...

Never been to Gary Indiana, but now I wonder what I'm missing? laugh

AND Its another meme I find funny, if you live in Gary, I'm not sorry. Hell, invite me over so I'll know what the heck this meme is about.

Gary is one of those cities that built up around a single industry, and then the industry left town but left the city behind.

I have never been there, but drove past it a few times, and the vibe I get is abandoned shopping mall, except some people live there.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/10/21 12:13 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Bent-Valve said:

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

I haven't counted the years, in fact I haven't paid much attention to it, I saw the massive engine and laughed about that.

And just so I keep the meme thing going...

Never been to Gary Indiana, but now I wonder what I'm missing? laugh

AND Its another meme I find funny, if you live in Gary, I'm not sorry. Hell, invite me over so I'll know what the heck this meme is about.

Gary is one of those cities that built up around a single industry, and then the industry left town but left the city behind.

I have never been there, but drove past it a few times, and the vibe I get is abandoned shopping mall, except some people live there.

Put it this way: I have lived in Chicago. I've had a knife pulled on me. I have walked through (from one end to the other) statistically the worst neighborhood in Chicago in terms of violent crimes per capita, as well as 2 other neighborhoods in the top 10. I've felt on edge doing that, but I've never felt unsafe, but I knew enough to know that I need to walk quickly, look pissed off, and keep my head on a swivel. I also removed my credit cards and ID from my wallet, put $12 in it, and was prepared to toss it to someone if necessary. That was the worst place in Chicago. 

I stopped for gas one time in Gary. I filled up about 3/4 of a gallon - my trip computer said I had 0 miles left, for the past 6 miles - and proceeded to GET OUT and stop somewhere safer. I had to take a leak too, I ended up peeing in an empty gatorade bottle I had in the car, while driving on the interstate, which felt infinitely safer than being at that gas station. It is the only place I have been that I can recall that I really felt scared. My spidey sense was going off the charts, at this gas station, in broad daylight. 

Was that accurate? Was I really in danger? Well, probably not. But I've learned to trust my gut on things like this. 

Later, I worked at an office in downtown Chicago with a few people who lived a few towns over from Gary. Their train broke down, and they all had to get off at the Gary station. The transit employees were repeating an announcement over the PA stating DO NOT LEAVE THE STATION UNTIL YOUR RIDE IS HERE. DO NOT WALK ANYWHERE. 

No Time
No Time SuperDork
8/10/21 1:28 p.m.

This thread prompted me to google and I came across this:
Article on Gary

Also, a meme to stay in the rules of the thread. Use it in good health:

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
8/10/21 1:43 p.m.

I messed up switching highways, and ended up driving through Gary to get back to the interstate.  Was only mildly concerned, but the place just seemed sad.  Mostly boarded up buildings, and several that had burned up, or collapsed, or burned up, then collapsed.  Looked like the set for a post apocalyptic TV show.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
8/10/21 2:06 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

I messed up switching highways, and ended up driving through Gary to get back to the interstate.  Was only mildly concerned, but the place just seemed sad.  Mostly boarded up buildings, and several that had burned up, or collapsed, or burned up, then collapsed.  Looked like the set for a post apocalyptic TV show.

One of my shops was in Gary, it got held up more than any other in our chain. We posted an armed guard after 5pm. It was a desperate sort of place for a long time but now it feels as if it's getting stronger. 

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve Dork
8/10/21 3:06 p.m.

of course if yu do give a crap and your Rex

I ahte 3 pm at work, my rbain dont orkw right.

Where is spellcheck when u need it? laugh

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
8/10/21 3:25 p.m.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
8/10/21 3:28 p.m.

But seriously wtf is up with his legs/feet?

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
8/10/21 3:53 p.m.
Subscriber-unavailabile said:

In reply to M2Pilot :

I'll let you know after I have lunch with Edward Snowden tomorrow 

I just saw Steve_Jones response to my post. Please accept my apology.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
8/10/21 3:53 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

UGh, Crocs...

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
8/10/21 5:19 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

I lived in Gary for a short while maybe 45 years ago.  Back then it was nothing like it is today, for the most part.  Mainly it was a blue collar, middle class town centered around the steel mills.  Interestingly, one of my school buddies went back to his HS reunion this past weekend there.  It was in an anomaly for Gary, Miller Beach.  It was nice then and still is today.  Mainly it is an artsy, touristy area right on Lake Michigan.  We used to skip class and go to the dunes as it was less than a mile from school.  There's even a Frank Lloyd Wright house there.  Anyway, pics of probably the only place in Gary that you can get out of your car.  

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/10/21 6:01 p.m.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
8/10/21 6:26 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Help me understand.  I'm guessing that's the Mona Lisa?  And some famous painter dude?  And who's the other chick?

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thekeycuts.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2020%2F09%2F8-help-a-brother-out.gif&f=1&nofb=1

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
8/10/21 6:28 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Mona Lisa, Van Gogh from a self portrait, and Girl With The Pearl Earring by Vermeer.

Not sure what the context of the meme is, though

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/10/21 7:20 p.m.
Duke said:

I rushed over to share this with my wife. Her response, "That is so excellent." 
Have to agree. 

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
8/10/21 9:11 p.m.
Subscriber-unavailabile said:

I have one of those somewhere. I got it with an old Mazda and never used it. Now I have to find it. 

No Time
No Time SuperDork
8/10/21 9:23 p.m.

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve Dork
8/10/21 9:49 p.m.

Ok so I am understanding Gary  isn't a great place. Maybe I don't want to be invited over OR Chernobyl really is a better idea.

johndej
johndej Dork
8/10/21 10:19 p.m.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
8/10/21 10:25 p.m.

In reply to Bent-Valve :

Chernobyl actually sounds really sweet. Little warm tho.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/11/21 5:43 a.m.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
8/11/21 5:43 a.m.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
8/11/21 5:47 a.m.

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/11/21 7:18 a.m.

This is a test. I posted in another thread. The forum thinks I was the last person to post, but there is nothing there. Let's see if this one works. Maybe I got banned and didn't know it. 

20 Extremely Funny Test Memes Every Student Can Surely Relate To -  SayingImages.com

1 ... 628 629 630 631 632 ... 1735

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xe5dzcmWz8f9nTM9DSJk7lPpQ9aHYTghKCQ4k8mR7Tb28AtdHUAWYI30uCQ30yt6