Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
8/23/21 8:41 p.m.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/23/21 8:45 p.m.
Duke said:

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

I didn't say that Olive Garden is the best Italian in town.

I said it's the best readily available cheap-but-not-formica-tables-cheap Italian in town.

There's a distinct difference.

You say Formica tables like it's a bad thing.

The best Chinese I ever had was from a place that had crappy Formica booths, and the floor tile still said "Royal Castle" (in 2008!).  Everything they made was awesome and their mapo tofu was exquisite.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/23/21 9:00 p.m.
Donebrokeit said:

WEEEeeeeeeeee......

matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
8/23/21 9:22 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

Librarians are not dragons; they are book wyrms.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
8/23/21 9:54 p.m.

That's why I love mom-and-pop restaurants.

I've never had a bad meal at one and it drives my wife nuts. I like to say "I've never eaten here before, what do you do better than anyone else?"

Nobody running a place like that wants you to have a bad time and they're proud of what they make. I can't believe how much good food I've found.

I bet if I did that at Olive Garden, I'd get breadsticks because they're free and they're salty so I'll buy more drinks.

NoviceClass
NoviceClass Reader
8/23/21 10:11 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

This might do it...

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/23/21 10:48 p.m.

In reply to matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) :

Sons of Literacy 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
8/23/21 10:58 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) :

Me too

Wally (Forum Supporter)
8/23/21 11:00 p.m.
Duke said:

I said it's the best readily available cheap-but-not-formica-tables-cheap Italian in town.

I'm good with Formica. As much as I like a formal dinner I'll happily sit in a pizzeria and have spaghetti and meatballs.  If I'm traveling I'd rather that than whatever the locals pass off as pizza (cough St Louis cough). 

In reply to ShawnG :

It took a little time to get Jodi comfortable with doing it but once we did she never wanted to go back to a chain with few exceptions.  In 20+ years I don't think we had a bad meal, and we'd often get to talk to locals either working there or other diners (on of the perks of an obvious accent). People are happy to tell you about their hometown, share fun stories, and places to visit.  It really added to our trips.  We really liked Italian food and I'll put every seedy dive looking place I've been up against the Olive Garden.  

Wally (Forum Supporter)
8/23/21 11:03 p.m.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
8/23/21 11:04 p.m.

Pete. (l33t FS)
8/23/21 11:12 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

Pete. (l33t FS)
8/23/21 11:16 p.m.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
8/23/21 11:35 p.m.
Duke said:

I'm good with Formica. As much as I like a formal dinner I'll happily sit in a pizzeria and have spaghetti and meatballs.  If I'm traveling I'd rather that than whatever the locals pass off as pizza (cough St Louis cough). 

In reply to ShawnG :

It took a little time to get Jodi comfortable with doing it but once we did she never wanted to go back to a chain with few exceptions.  In 20+ years I don't think we had a bad meal, and we'd often get to talk to locals either working there or other diners (on of the perks of an obvious accent). People are happy to tell you about their hometown, share fun stories, and places to visit.  It really added to our trips.  We really liked Italian food and I'll put every seedy dive looking place I've been up against the Olive Garden.  

Some of the best pizza I've had was at a place called "Sven & Ole's Pizza." Part of it is that its one of two only pizzas not made in a gas station for 50 miles.  Everyone in that 50 mile radius has eaten there regularly from the time they were old enough to eat solid food until they leave and its just... good.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
8/23/21 11:39 p.m.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
8/23/21 11:41 p.m.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/24/21 12:22 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:

NARRATOR: It was a boy. But not just any boy...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/24/21 12:24 a.m.

Can confirm.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/24/21 12:42 a.m.

Two of the worst meals I've ever eaten were at Mom & Pop restaurants, so maybe that's why I'm gunshy about trying new places. I'll gladly eat mediocre if its predictable. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/24/21 5:58 a.m.

It took a little time to get Jodi comfortable with doing it but once we did she never wanted to go back to a chain with few exceptions. 

My mind went in a totally different direction.

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/24/21 7:53 a.m.
ShawnG said:

That's why I love mom-and-pop restaurants.

I've never had a bad meal at one and it drives my wife nuts. I like to say "I've never eaten here before, what do you do better than anyone else?"

Nobody running a place like that wants you to have a bad time and they're proud of what they make. I can't believe how much good food I've found.

I bet if I did that at Olive Garden, I'd get breadsticks because they're free and they're salty so I'll buy more drinks.

Interesting, because 90% of the bad meals I've ever had came from a local mom-and-pop joint. I can think of 3 in my own town that serve worse food than any chain, including Olive Garden.

We stopped at one day before yesterday on the way back from MI. It was well presented, they had great ambiance and just plain bad food. No flavor and overcooked. Made me wish we had stopped at the Burger King next door. At least they are a known quality. 

It smells like Nasty food in here. - Stink Face | Meme Generator

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
8/24/21 8:03 a.m.
Toyman01 + Sized and said:

Interesting, because 90% of the bad meals I've ever had came from a local mom-and-pop joint. I can think of 3 in my own town that serve worse food than any chain, including Olive Garden.

We stopped at one day before yesterday on the way back from MI. It was well presented, they had great ambiance and just plain bad food. No flavor and overcooked. Made me wish we had stopped at the Burger King next door. At least they are a known quality. 

Agree(ish).  I would say 50% of the bad meals I've had came from a small business.  I'm not sure how you guys are differentiating 'mom and pop' vs. small business.  The spectrum of small business restaurants is like 100x wider than chain restaurants.  For better, and for worse. 

1 ... 644 645 646 647 648 ... 1737

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x5SIUWCwoVfHa3xzmFqpWf72Xf164VqxftmmYe18yofyK4RMybyFIiLqVOSIvwsL