foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
6/13/13 6:36 p.m.

My Dane stand up mower needs new tires. In a way, I'm sad, because power sliding across the slopes and doing donuts has been great fun.

Problem. Tire size is 18x8.50-8. I want tractor type tires. I cannot find them in that size. I can find 18x9.5-8, but that won't fit. The 8.5 width just barely fits.

Do any of you guys happen to know where I could find a tractor type tire in that 18x8.5-8 size?

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
6/13/13 6:40 p.m.

Box flare the mower?

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
6/13/13 6:42 p.m.

5 seconds of googling yielded this:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchDisplay?pageSize=20&searchType=1000&resultCatEntryType=2&filterTerm=&searchTerm=tires+18+x+8.5+x+8&pageView=image&catalogId=10051&showResultsPage=true&beginIndex=0&langId=-1&storeId=10151&sType=SimpleSearch

...from "tractorsupply.com!" shocker!

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
6/13/13 7:28 p.m.

Appreciate the help, that tire on TSC is a 9.5 width. Drives me nuts searching, as 9.5 width and 10" rim size keeps coming up.

There's no good fitment adjustment to be made. It's a tight fit on the inboard side, and diameter sets cut height, there is no adjustment. Don't want to use a spacer because of the increased load on the lugs and hydraulic motors.

I may just go with a generic turf tire with as wide a lug tread as I can get, and maybe make up a set of chains (I've got lots of tire chains).

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
6/13/13 7:33 p.m.

I don't think a 1/2" spacer will make that much of an impact on wheel bearing life. Curiosity strikes me, what do you need lug tires for on a stand up mower?

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
6/13/13 8:07 p.m.
foxtrapper wrote: Appreciate the help, that tire on TSC is a 9.5 width. Drives me nuts searching, as 9.5 width and 10" rim size keeps coming up. There's no good fitment adjustment to be made. It's a tight fit on the inboard side, and diameter sets cut height, there is no adjustment. Don't want to use a spacer because of the increased load on the lugs and hydraulic motors. I may just go with a generic turf tire with as wide a lug tread as I can get, and maybe make up a set of chains (I've got lots of tire chains).

Are we looking at the same link? I see the exact size you posted in multiple flavors.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
6/13/13 8:20 p.m.

Oh yes, TSC does carry that size. Finding turf tires is no problem, it's the paddle wheel tractor like lugs that is defeating me. Like this one: http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/hi-run-lug-tire-18-x-95---8?cm_vc=-10005

As for the question of do I need them, no. I would like them though. A lot of my place tends to be muddy and wet, so I tend to get stuck easily with turf type tires. Be it on this or any of the other mowing equipment.

I may well end up hating the tractor type tires, but I'd like to try them to find out. I did like them on my tractor, when I had a tractor. We won't talk about the messes I used to regularly make with a mower/hog hanging off the back of that.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/13/13 8:53 p.m.

I definitely needed ag-style lug tires on my lawn tractor. The turfies were pathetic on my hills. There is no doubt that they tear things up a bit, but I wasn't even able to get up the hill before. Is this a ZTR? If so, make sure you get v-bar ag tires that are tapered to the sidewall.

For instance, something like this:

NOT THIS:

Have you considered a different wheel size?

Carlisle's 523311 is a v-bar ag tire in 18x8.5-10

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
6/13/13 9:06 p.m.
foxtrapper wrote: Oh yes, TSC does carry that size. Finding turf tires is no problem, it's the paddle wheel tractor like lugs that is defeating me. Like this one: http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/hi-run-lug-tire-18-x-95---8?cm_vc=-10005 As for the question of do I need them, no. I would like them though. A lot of my place tends to be muddy and wet, so I tend to get stuck easily with turf type tires. Be it on this or any of the other mowing equipment. I may well end up hating the tractor type tires, but I'd like to try them to find out. I did like them on my tractor, when I had a tractor. We won't talk about the messes I used to regularly make with a mower/hog hanging off the back of that.

Aaah. Gotcha. My bad.

Getchu some new reeeyulms, dawg! Father's day sale!!!

btabacchi
btabacchi New Reader
6/13/13 9:11 p.m.

We use the lug tires on our zero-turn mower and they work great on my property which can get pretty soggy during wet weather periods. I know that doesn't really help with your question, but at least it might help re-enforce your decision. Here's a pic of the wife on our Gizmow mower. It's one of the best z-turn mowers I've ever seen in regards to traction and such. (BTW - the recent Cub ads that say they're the first to have a true z-turn with a steering wheel are a lie - the Gizmow mowers beat them to it by a long shot) [URL=http://s290.photobucket.com/user/pylnrcr/media/20100207_2_zpsb610acb2.jpg.html][/URL]

I'm kinda curious though, your Dane doesn't have any deck height adjustments? That seems a little odd, what model do you have?

curtis73
6/13/13 9:17 p.m.
btabacchi wrote:

^^^ This exactly. Notice how her lug/bars taper out toward the sidewall. On a ZTR, you really need that style. If you do the full lug, not only will you really tear up the lawn, you'll rip chunks off the bars on more solid surfaces

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
6/13/13 9:25 p.m.

Yea. I've seriously considered new tire/rim sets, as I really don't like busting tires on mini rims. But since I can save nearly $100 doing it myself, cheapness is winning the arguement (though I haven't bought anything yet).

Changing tire size screws the mower up. It's an early Great Date, rigid everything. So there's no adjustement for deck height or angle. A bigger tire will raise the rear. Without taking the whole machine apart and redrilling the hydraulic motor mounting holes, I'd be stuck tail up. That ain't happening either.

And thank you Curtis for the info on tire type. This is a ZTR. Hadn't known or considered that.

For those wondering what sort of mower I'm talking about, this looks like the same model as mine.

btabacchi
btabacchi New Reader
6/13/13 9:31 p.m.

On that mower aren't the spacers on the front casters used for deck height adjustment?

curtis73
6/13/13 9:35 p.m.
btabacchi wrote: On that mower aren't the spacers on the front casters used for deck height adjustment?

yup... you pull the pin and change how many spacers are above/below the yoke.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
6/13/13 9:45 p.m.

You would think that. But those spacers stacked up on top all have a big "tooth" that sticks up into a weirdly wide slot on the bottom of the one above. I thought it was an easy adjustment, until I looked at them. But, I'll look again tomorrow, for I sure hope I am missing something. And, I hope I find something nifty in the rear as well.

Though you know, I can find the tire/wheel tractor tire combo in 20" diameter, and I think the 8.5" width. I'd rather not mow an inch higher, but if I have to accept that to get tractor type tires, so be it.

Bald tire are cool though. I slide all around the place on it with the bald tires. Makes mowing a pleasure, not a chore.

btabacchi
btabacchi New Reader
6/13/13 9:51 p.m.

Looks like you have a Great Dane Surfer. According to their manual the Surfers made before 2001 should have 3 or 4 height adjustment points on the rear wheels, plus the spacers on casters and the blade spindles.

HEIGHT OF CUT Rear wheels may be located in three or four positions. Use midpoint position for average cut from 2 to 4 inches. Highest hole position to cut from 3 to 5 inches. Lowest hole position to cut from 1 to 3 inches. .Adjust caster wheel spacers to keep cutter deck tilted slightly down at the front. .Vary number of spacers between cutter blade and spindle for higher height of cut.

http://www.greatdanemowers.com/pdf/Surfer_Operators_and_Parts_Manual_2001_and_earlier.pdf

I used to have a Wright mower that I think was made by Dane and it had the same type of set up. Those are pretty sweet mowers.

trucke
trucke Reader
6/14/13 8:07 a.m.

I'll be ordering tires for the front of my Hustler Fastrak from GooseGear. A friend in the lawn care business told me about this site.

Did not see a 'lug' style tire in that size though.

http://goosegear.com/

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
6/15/13 8:42 a.m.

I'd like to say thank you to you guys. Hadn't looked close enough in some time to adjustment. Lo and behold, I found rear adjustment. Not exactly push button, but what the heck. That opens things up since I can adjust the mower for different sized tires.

Thanks also for the info on vbar type tires.

Since I can adjust it, I. Going to to with whatever size tire and rim combo I can find.

btabacchi
btabacchi New Reader
6/15/13 11:47 a.m.

Sweet! Happy mowing!

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
6/15/13 12:22 p.m.

GRM answers all, lol.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
10gtRlln0rBduga7qk6jumMkrX2LnlXe7OSKN0wDn0der6ZVy5Uu6dUD1nIENRvV