1 2
DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
9/11/13 6:10 p.m.

I'm heading up to the Penn State vs. UCF game this weekend to watch the Knights dominate in the Beaver.

Anyways - where do you recommend parking, tailgating, etc. I've never been up that way and only making a day trip out of it.

Any of you heading there as well?

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/11/13 6:39 p.m.

Umm. You'll get yelled at and cancer wished upon you. Maybe aids as well.

Those who don't do that are from Pittsburgh and therefore civilized.

That's all I got.

Philly rules.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
9/11/13 6:42 p.m.

I could care less about people shouting at me. I do the same at UCF games. It's all fun and games. Get within a 3 ft radius of my wife or child and make a threat I'm going the foot fist way on their arse.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
9/11/13 6:42 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: Umm. You'll get yelled at and cancer wished upon you. Maybe aids as well. Those who don't do that are from Pittsburgh and therefore civilized. That's all I got. Philly rules.

And nothing about Commonwealth states rules. Nothing.

spriteracer
spriteracer Reader
9/11/13 9:56 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: And nothing about Commonwealth states rules. Nothing.

I'm sure you will get a lot of helpful tailgating tips now. Good luck in Happy Valley. You obviously deserve what you get.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
9/11/13 11:07 p.m.
spriteracer wrote:
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: And nothing about Commonwealth states rules. Nothing.
I'm sure you will get a lot of helpful tailgating tips now. Good luck in Happy Valley. You obviously deserve what you get.

Obviously someone has a hard time interpreting a sense of humor. I live in Virginia (you know another one of those commonwealth states) where they tax your taxes and then tax those some more. Lighten up there Francis.....

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
9/11/13 11:18 p.m.

You guys are making Happy Valley sound like a dismal place filled with low self-esteem and anger issues. Shouldn't you be working on repairing all the negativity from the past few years :).

It could be worse - I could post a picture of the pedo state shirt I gave my sister (a PSU alum) for xmas.

I asked a few simple questions with some humor thrown in there - no need to get your panties in a wad.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
9/12/13 5:25 a.m.

I live in PA. I'm surrounded by these rabid PSU fans who have some otherworldly belief that their school is better than all the others and Joe Paterno was God. The worship of the school and it's football team makes most rabid NFL fans look like a group of high school band boosters. It's silly and tiresome.

The area around Happy Valley is really nice, and I enjoy riding my m/c up there during the off season. When football season is upon us, I and all the others who don't stroke the Nittany Lion stay as far from there as possible. The traffic is unworldly. I think tailgating was invented there simply because it takes days to get in and out of the place, so people just started living in the parking lot. If you've ever been to a NA$CAR race at Dover, you know what I'm talking about.

That's all I got. I try not to think about PSU much.

klb67
klb67 New Reader
9/12/13 8:28 a.m.

Hopefully I'll add another perspective. I grew up near Happy Valley and now live in Pittsburgh. I make it back to a game every now and then. I think you'll find mostly polite fans, a moderate level of trash talk (it's not an OSU or ND game) and probably a few too drunk college kids.

Look for a parking lot map online - a lot near the stadium is pre-sold. Figure out how you plan to go home and park appropriately adjacent to that route - you might do better to walk a bit to get to the stadium. The weather looks to be perfect for college football. Enjoy the trip and Happy Valley.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
9/12/13 8:35 a.m.

The only thing I have to add is that I berking hate hate hate the stupid 5-fingered lion's paw logo that Penn State has:

Though, searching for that, I found this:

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
9/12/13 4:41 p.m.
klb67 wrote: Hopefully I'll add another perspective. I grew up near Happy Valley and now live in Pittsburgh. I make it back to a game every now and then. I think you'll find mostly polite fans, a moderate level of trash talk (it's not an OSU or ND game) and probably a few too drunk college kids. Look for a parking lot map online - a lot near the stadium is pre-sold. Figure out how you plan to go home and park appropriately adjacent to that route - you might do better to walk a bit to get to the stadium. The weather looks to be perfect for college football. Enjoy the trip and Happy Valley.

That's the exact input I was looking for and the advice about getting into and out of Happy Valley. Sounds similar to leaving a SEC game at the Swamp. There are some parking passes to buy online so maybe we'll do that. Luckily our seats are in the UCF/Visitors section with seatbacks.

And nothing can be worse than cranky LSU fans. I had some horrible run ins with those guys working the bar scene in Gainesville.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
9/12/13 5:16 p.m.

Forgot to say thanks!

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
9/12/13 5:28 p.m.
ddavidv wrote: I live in PA. I'm surrounded by these rabid PSU fans who have some otherworldly belief that their school is better than all the others and Joe Paterno was God. The worship of the school and it's football team makes most rabid NFL fans look like a group of high school band boosters. It's silly and tiresome. The area around Happy Valley is really nice, and I enjoy riding my m/c up there during the off season. When football season is upon us, I and all the others who don't stroke the Nittany Lion stay as far from there as possible. The traffic is unworldly. I think tailgating was invented there simply because it takes days to get in and out of the place, so people just started living in the parking lot. If you've ever been to a NA$CAR race at Dover, you know what I'm talking about. That's all I got. I try not to think about PSU much.

My ex-g/f is a PSU alumni. From what she's said, that's pretty accurate. I've been to Happy Valley a few times over the years for various reasons. We've always made a point to avoid a football w/e.

Plan on getting there HOURS early if you hope to find a decent parking spot. Then park the car and leave it. Anything else you want to get to is walkable. Not close, maybe... but walkable.

Be sure to check out the Creamery. Great ice cream. But again, get there very early - like when they open at 7am. It doesn't take long before the line is out the door and around the block...

And Penn State football fans are a different breed... my ex couldn't give a crap about any sport - except PSU football. It's the only sport she'll watch... and make a point of trying to watch on TV... and it's freakin' hilarious to witness... she screams bloody murder at the TV...

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
9/12/13 5:48 p.m.

looks like I'll need to rearrange my plans a little bit. It's convincing my wife to let my brother and his wife baby sit our baby so we can enjoy the game for the day....

klb67
klb67 New Reader
9/12/13 6:19 p.m.

I see that it's a 6 PM start. If you have the time, I'd arrive early and spend the day without the munchkin. You can do it with the munchkin, but as you know it will be a different day. I should also warn you, the seats are bleachers and they are not wide - 18" if I recall. Yes they have backs, but the last person in the row gets one cheek on the seat, and that's it. I'm not sure now where exactly the visiting section is - it used to be a sliver that ran from the first row all the way to the top row, a few seats wide. It may have moved. The additions to the stadium may have better seating than the bleachers I described. Ditto on the creamery. Even just a walk downtown to hit a few bars, or a walk around the tailgates (or tailgate yourself).

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
9/12/13 6:39 p.m.

From what I've read they moved the visitor seating to the north endzone upper deck. From what I believe our seats have backs. We are in like row aa so at the bottom of the upper portion of the north endzone.

Believe me I'd love to leave my daughter out of this equation and just spend the day with my wife. She's freaking out because it's a 3-4 hour drive home and if there is an emergency with her...but my brother has two daughters of his own - but you know women and their stubborn ways.

If we have the daughter we'll probably tail gate on our own - if we are free we'll most likely roam and chit chat. UCF Alumni assc. will be having a huge tent with food and beverages for a small cost (beats setting up your own crap and the overhead of buying it, carrying it, etc) .

I wish my sister still lived up there - would make things much easier. Thanks again!

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/13/13 5:09 a.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote: You guys are making Happy Valley sound like a dismal place filled with low self-esteem and anger issues.

You forgot sluts. Lots of sluts.

Seriously. Ever been to Philly. We booed Santa Claus and threw ice balls at him.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
9/13/13 5:58 p.m.

Honestly the only times I've been to Pennsylvania are: 1) driving through to Buffalo to visit family 2) moving my sister from the Pottsville campus to Happy Valley campus and it wasn't during football season. 3) Flying over.

Other than that I've had no desire whatsoever. Especially since moving to DC. The Pennsylvania drivers here in DC make me feel like the normal traffic speed up there is 7.35 miles per hour and having a turn signal on at all times mandatory. Only exceptions being wanting to go to Hershey Park and Gettysburg.

daytonaer
daytonaer HalfDork
9/13/13 6:10 p.m.

I have never been, but try to get a parking pass/permit ahead of time.

Game day parking passes are very expensive.

Have fun, and if you are bored there will be a sat/sun autocross in blairsville: ax (small friendly region), state college region is taking the weekend off...

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
9/13/13 6:26 p.m.
daytonaer wrote: I have never been, but try to get a parking pass/permit ahead of time. Game day parking passes are very expensive. Have fun, and if you are bored there will be a sat/sun autocross in blairsville: ax (small friendly region), state college region is taking the weekend off...

I'd love to come autox, but this is our last fun venture while living in DC. Monday we find our fate for the next year(s). and have to pack up and be on our way by weeks end.

Cuda
Cuda Reader
9/13/13 7:11 p.m.

Just be sure to go straight to the car after the game. They won't be too happy about getting beat by the knights!

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
9/14/13 12:20 a.m.
Cuda wrote: Just be sure to go straight to the car after the game. They won't be too happy about getting beat by the knights!

Lol yes! See foot fist way post though.

Cuda
Cuda Reader
9/14/13 8:20 p.m.

OH YEA!!!! The RED FACE OF DOOOOOM!

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
9/15/13 10:01 p.m.

Hey UCF won!

It was a very cool venue to visit. The seats we had were great and they had seat backs which was a plus. Happy Valley doesn't even come close to getting as loud as the Swamp though or maybe they just weren't as pumped because it was a "no-name" school.

Most people were very friendly and even offered beer and food and refused our monies. We only ran into a few jerk-offs but they were plastered students and an angry little man.

What is the whole saying "Welcome" shaking your hand and staring at you all about? Is it a big "F U?" Is it a nice gesture? What's the awkward stare all about? Literally 100s of people were trying to do it to us.

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
9/16/13 8:28 a.m.

Good you had a fun time there. I went up there last year for the PSU vs Navy game. My wife's nephew has season passes (he lives about 5 miles from the stadium) and tailgates there every year. My wife's a Navy fan (our kid is in the Navy as a nuke on a fast attack sub) so we were rooting for Navy, sitting smack in the middle of PSU territory as guests of her nephew. But all the fans were actually quite nice to us (and to the visiting team). But, there was a lot of military appreciation going on AND PSU kicked Navy's butts 34-7, so maybe that had something to do with it...

Did you get to park close? We had to park a ways a way and walk to the venue (got there early to tailgate with her nephew's friends).

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wwCPl0pJPk9JcYQNjXML0TPu6eZEYsBrX7UeAAQTEVRVkmqeZZM85ptTglxHI3T3