1 2
Anti-stance
Anti-stance Dork
7/10/12 6:32 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: Ricochets are a bitch.

Daaaang

As for the raccoon, congrats on getting it out with minimal action.

Will
Will Dork
7/10/12 7:07 p.m.

Send a cougar into the basement. That will take care of any raccoon problem.

Secretariata
Secretariata GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/10/12 7:49 p.m.
Will wrote: Send a cougar into the basement. That will take care of any raccoon problem.

Wife might question knowing the cougar. Could lead to awkward pause in conversation, so make sure to have Twix on hand.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/11/12 9:30 a.m.
Rufledt wrote:
N Sperlo wrote:
dean1484 wrote:
Gr Tech Guy wrote: Shoot it!
Crossed my mind except the gun cabinet is in the basement. I also did not like the idea of discharging a weapon surrounded by concrete walls. Rickashays are a bitch.
Yeah. Small rounds like to bounce around.
Arrows don't ricochet They can break if they hit the concrete, though, which sucks.

Oh they do, if they have the rounded "bullet tips"...they'll deflect off of anything smooth in the right hardness range...I remember the very first one I shot bounced off of a cardboard box stuffed with newspapers with a styrofoam target on the front...good thing the neighbor's yard was empty

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
7/11/12 9:42 a.m.

Do they have racoons on your island, Gameboy? Do you want some? We can send you a mating pair or 8 and fix that up for you.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/11/12 10:03 a.m.

Ball Bearings are a REALLY bad idea. They bounce off concrete really well. I actually hit one 3x with my wrist rocket years back and it did not kill it. Just got it really mad. I actually started using marbles as they will shatter if they hit stone or concrete however they don't have the mass that a ball of steel does.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/11/12 10:06 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: one of those times when a shotgun might have been a good thing

The mess would have been fun LOL Probably turn it inside out at the distances we are talking about.

Gasoline
Gasoline HalfDork
7/11/12 10:07 a.m.

GameboyRMH
7/11/12 10:12 a.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: Do they have racoons on your island, Gameboy? Do you want some? We can send you a mating pair or 8 and fix that up for you.

Actually we used to but they're extinct now (not raccoons as you know them, though, it looks kind of like a small fox).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbados_raccoon

Looked similar to this animal called a coati (I've seen the only stuffed one in the museum here):

We definitely don't need any more invasive species after the giant African snails have unleashed their sci-fi horror on us.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
7/11/12 10:31 a.m.

That one is edible too! My hearsay understanding is that they are pretty tasty. Haven't eaten that particular one, but all the other snails I've eaten were fine.

GameboyRMH
7/11/12 10:33 a.m.

I know an African guy who said his neighbors used to cook them and he said they make a horrible smell when they're being cooked. In life these things are disgusting sci-fi monsters, the facehuggers from Alien look far tastier compared to these things.

Their E36 M3 is a lot like a tire plug cord (except full of parasites). Sticks to berkeleying everything. If you want to clean it from your walls, you need to powerwash, then chip off the pieces that didn't come off, then repaint. Any two can reproduce and if one is crushed any eggs it was carrying will hatch from the remains.

But what really makes them a sci-fi monster is their resilience and ability to reproduce. Only fire, salt or crushing (which creates the hydra problem) kills them, they brush off most harsh chemicals and pesticides are only a speedbump for them. And they spread like wildfire.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
7/11/12 1:18 p.m.

I know, we'll send you some racoons and they will eat the snails. Problem solved.

Man, 'coons are tough. I nailed one with an SKS from about 5 ft. Blew it's back out, guts apart, etc. Really bad. It crawled 10 ft across the porch with its front paws. They occasionally go into the dog pen to try to steal dog food. Then they realize that a Rhodesian Ridgeback and a Black Mouth Cur are a bit more, uh, anti-'coon, than, say, the last lab they came across. I usually have to shoot them out of the tree the next morning.

Rufledt
Rufledt Dork
7/11/12 2:00 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
Rufledt wrote:
N Sperlo wrote:
dean1484 wrote:
Crossed my mind except the gun cabinet is in the basement. I also did not like the idea of discharging a weapon surrounded by concrete walls. Rickashays are a bitch.
Arrows don't ricochet They can break if they hit the concrete, though, which sucks.
Oh they do, if they have the rounded "bullet tips"...they'll deflect off of anything smooth in the right hardness range...I remember the very first one I shot bounced off of a cardboard box stuffed with newspapers with a styrofoam target on the front...good thing the neighbor's yard was empty

Do you mean these?
I've never used those, but I've always wanted to because they look really cool IMO. I guess the concrete would screw a broadhead up, too. Would a blunt tip kill a raccoon, or just piss it off? Maybe the cougar is a better option than a bow...

fasted58
fasted58 UltraDork
7/11/12 2:14 p.m.

MILF trumps cougar

GameboyRMH
7/11/12 2:19 p.m.
Rufledt wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote:
Rufledt wrote:
N Sperlo wrote:
dean1484 wrote:
Do you mean these? I've never used those, but I've always wanted to because they look really cool IMO. I guess the concrete would screw a broadhead up, too. Would a blunt tip kill a raccoon, or just piss it off? Maybe the cougar is a better option than a bow...

The ones I'm thinking of are similar but not quite so sharp.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
7/11/12 2:24 p.m.
JoeyM wrote:
RossD wrote: Won't it make a miata faster? Or is that only the Flyin Miata version?
I'll shave it naked if you'll get the tattoo gun.

Whoo-ahh

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette SuperDork
7/11/12 6:38 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic New Reader
7/11/12 7:16 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: I know, we'll send you some racoons and they will eat the snails. Problem solved. Man, 'coons are tough. I nailed one with an SKS from about 5 ft. Blew it's back out, guts apart, etc. Really bad. It crawled 10 ft across the porch with its front paws. They occasionally go into the dog pen to try to steal dog food. Then they realize that a Rhodesian Ridgeback and a Black Mouth Cur are a bit more, uh, anti-'coon, than, say, the last lab they came across. I usually have to shoot them out of the tree the next morning.

Because of how well it works on skunks and possum, I thought #6 birdshot would wok fine on a raccoon, the 5th shot was to the back of the neck at point blank range.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/13/12 8:06 a.m.
Secretariata wrote:
Will wrote: Send a cougar into the basement. That will take care of any raccoon problem.
Wife might question knowing the cougar. Could lead to awkward pause in conversation, so make sure to have Twix on hand.

LOL! Someone needs to come clean off my keyboard now....

poopshovel
poopshovel PowerDork
7/13/12 9:41 a.m.

As much as I hate raccoons, I hate the possum more, and those nasty berkeleyers are pretty tough too.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
7/13/12 10:20 a.m.

You ever try to hit a 'possum brain? The thing must be the size of a raisin. At least they are not as destructive as the 'coon.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
86TNnTPGqFcTvubouCfClNipyymmp90WEBGEeZbfFhXPwHwIkCTQ5NQeiPiRh3Py