Spearfishin
Spearfishin Reader
7/9/24 7:53 p.m.

After an unreasonably hot Sunday in the shop, I ordered a 33k BTU mini split. Trying to plan the install as this wasn't a well thought out purchase so much as it was an angry reaction to how hot I was last weekend.

Shop is laid out unconventionally in the sense that the 40' long wall is the gable end (and in this case the "front" and "back"), 17' to the peak. 30' long wall is 12' eave height. I have a 10' diameter ceiling fan essentially center of the shop in both X/Y dimensions and maybe 13' above finish floor.

Install would be easiest placing the indoor head on one of the side walls (30'x12') at around 10' high and maybe 10-12' from front of shop. Can't center it on the 30' dimension as there's a column there. Will work on a quick napkin sketch to clarify the above. 

If there's a more ideal placement, I can probably make it work with more work, wire, line set, etc. 

Appreciate any thoughts. 

lownslow
lownslow GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/9/24 10:58 p.m.

Where is the power supply? What does the outside access look like? In what area do you do most of your work? Any issues with airborne particles you need to plan for? 

Spearfishin
Spearfishin Reader
7/10/24 5:17 a.m.

In reply to lownslow :

Panel is on that wall, which is part of the driver. Outside I can make work most anywhere, with a few exceptions. Unfortunately the lift is almost opposite corner, but where I'd propose to mount it is closest to chair my daughter sometimes hangs out in, so maybe that's reason enough. That area is the "cleanest" corner of the shop; have an old recliner, fridge, TV, etc over there. But on the flip side, it's a 1200sf shop with no partitions. It's all filthy from grinding dust and such.

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
7/10/24 2:33 p.m.

This is relevant to my interests...  looking at mini-spits for my 40x40 shop, though I'm thinking two units, one on each side.

Watching with interest.

Spearfishin
Spearfishin Reader
7/10/24 3:10 p.m.
Rodan said:

This is relevant to my interests...  looking at mini-spits for my 40x40 shop, though I'm thinking two units, one on each side.

Watching with interest.

I wanted to do two, as well, but we've cooled some pretty big spaces on industrial projects at work with a single head. Figured it's half the install effort, so I'm giving it a shot. 

Also, if it's not perfect, it's just a shop. I'm sure it'll be better than my current ball roasting setup. 

lownslow
7/10/24 4:11 p.m.

What is your insulation like?

I worry about the filter on these in a real dirty place. 

I have several, but not in a shop/workshop setting. 

Which unit are you looking at?

Spearfishin
Spearfishin Reader
7/10/24 4:50 p.m.

Senville. Less than $2k shipped, so I'm sure it's not the best, won't last forever, but I'm fine with that. 

Be here tomorrow, supposedly. 

Insulation is the big faced fiberglass rolls put on before roof and siding. Not sure on R-value. 

lownslow
7/11/24 12:15 a.m.

Good luck.  I hope that it works well for you.  Let us know as I need to do something similar. 

Spearfishin
Spearfishin Reader
7/12/24 12:33 a.m.
lownslow said:

Good luck.  I hope that it works well for you.  Let us know as I need to do something similar. 

Arrived at my dad's via FedEx freight (someone had to be home to receive it. He's retired, I'm not.)

Nothing appears damaged in transit, so 'step 1' is good.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
7/12/24 6:39 a.m.
Spearfishin
Spearfishin Reader
7/12/24 9:03 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

Good looking out! I knew that, but would have definitely not thought twice about it until next March. Then I'd be scrambling to find receipt, etc. 

Spearfishin
Spearfishin Reader
7/13/24 9:02 a.m.

Picked up from my dad's. Had intended to make a wall mount for the condensing unit out of some stainless uni-strut I've got, but once me and pops struggled to get it in the bed of the truck, I think I'll stick it on a pad or platform of ground supported wood based on weight. 

Spearfishin
Spearfishin Reader
7/13/24 6:04 p.m.

​​​​​​

StuntmanMike
StuntmanMike Reader
7/18/24 11:20 a.m.

I'd put a fan up in the corner to help circulate the air. I put mine centered on one side of my 24x30 because I wanted my big screen TV centered in the shop. I only run the AC/heater when I'm in there since the insulation does its job to keep the space pretty comfy, but when I do need to kick it up it takes a little while to get circulated since the built in fan on my mini split doesn't move a lot of air. The side that my mini split is on feels the change pretty quick but if i'm working on the other bay it might take a while.

Spearfishin
Spearfishin Reader
7/18/24 6:34 p.m.

I've got a 10ft diameter ceiling fan dead center of shop. My hope is that helps distribute what the fan on the mini split can't. 

I've made no additional progress. Work has been unkind recently. 

lownslow
7/18/24 10:39 p.m.

Be careful on that ladder with the backpack on. They are precious. 

Spearfishin
Spearfishin Reader
7/19/24 10:36 a.m.
lownslow said:

Be careful on that ladder with the backpack on. They are precious. 

We were just doing some inspections. They climb in the boat tower with me on the regular, at least in the shop there's no wet hands and feet.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hCOiErBXL31QBqdJdPa9t8NTz3BYyK8xrjRHHYbwNJ1zh6FKrZqkAvm1QGDcmtuj