ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS HalfDork
7/5/24 3:48 p.m.

Can I cut 4 equal sized pieces of 4x4 and use them instead of the rubber blocks to raise my corvette?  The corvette has jacking pucks that sit proud of the body by ~1/2" and while I can slide the quickjack under the jacking pucks when adding the extra height of even the small rubber blocks it just BARELY doesn't fit.  I have done the drive onto a 1x12 to give me the extra 3/4" that is needed but i'm wondering if I cant just cut 4 pieces of equal sized 4x4 and use them in place of the rubber.  I would measure and cut them to be the same size as the recess between where you place the pads and the frame.  

Thoughts?  

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/5/24 3:51 p.m.

The downside of doing that is that they'll tend to split.

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/5/24 4:10 p.m.

Depends on the wood. I wouldn't with SYP, but hard woods would be ok to me. 

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS HalfDork
7/6/24 7:54 a.m.

Quickjack actually makes a lower profile block: https://www.quickjack.com/1-5-low-profile-blocks/ 

I went out and measured the existing blocks and they measure 2 5/16" so at 1.5" these will be roughly 5/8" of an inch shorter and should be perfect.

Since I don't have a 2x4 piece of hardwood laying around i think i'll go with these.  

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/6/24 10:45 a.m.

Hockey pucks are an inch thick, that's another option.

brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/9/24 11:09 a.m.

If you have the ability to cut a 4x4 would you not also have the ability to cut down the QJ pucks? 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
7/9/24 11:17 a.m.

I've done it. But im not responsible if it goes horribly sideways on you 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/9/24 11:48 a.m.

I have used chunks of 2x4 on a quickjack in the past.  It worked OK, but yes, they will have a limited life and you'll need to make new ones eventually.

JFW75
JFW75 New Reader
7/9/24 1:05 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

and Amazon has them by the bagfull. 

Keith Tanner
7/9/24 1:15 p.m.

In reply to JFW75 :

So do Dicks and Play It Again Sports and Canadian hardware stores - if you don't want to support Amazon :) Heck, stop by your local rink and ask if they have any that are too chewed up for play. 

procainestart
procainestart SuperDork
7/9/24 2:08 p.m.

I guess you can take the Canadian out of Canada, but you can't take the Canadian out of the Canadian? ;-) 

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS HalfDork
7/9/24 2:44 p.m.
brandonsmash said:

If you have the ability to cut a 4x4 would you not also have the ability to cut down the QJ pucks? 

no...  i would use a sliding mitre saw with a block to create a consistent size, thats easy and safe because the source material will give me a place to hold the material well away from the saw blade but the quickjack blocks being a max of 3" and needing to cut them down to ~1.5" would make it too small to clamp down the working tool and dangerous to hold with my hand.  Additionally the saw blades I have for my sliding saw probably would heat/melt the rubber as they were cutting it.  

however that lead me to discover that quickjack makes a 1.5" tall block and that would be the right height out of the box.  

Keith Tanner
7/9/24 5:04 p.m.
procainestart said:

I guess you can take the Canadian out of Canada, but you can't take the Canadian out of the Canadian? ;-) 

Too true, eh?

XLR99 (Forum Supporter)
XLR99 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/9/24 5:15 p.m.

The rubber blocks on my old Bendpak scissor jack failed last weekend, so I made these up out of an oak stair tread which is 1" thick, I dado'ed out the slot. I haven't had time to test them yet, so it may turn out to be a complete failure 🤷‍♂️

akylekoz
akylekoz UberDork
8/27/24 3:52 p.m.

I have been using 2x4s and 4x4s for 35 years now on my old single post lift and current 2 post, mostly to protect the rubber pads.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver MegaDork
8/27/24 4:23 p.m.

If the wood cracks in half, what happens?

akylekoz
akylekoz UberDork
8/28/24 6:26 a.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

Nothing, it's on top of a rubber pad that is probably 5 x 5", they do occasionally get stuck to a screw or sharp pinch seam.   

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/21/24 3:00 p.m.

In reply to XLR99 (Forum Supporter) :

Those look too nice to use!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HnXjcqDg86WypsI0bwFMCXuX2XxRqKW4INaln2UtJnGCRLS7AyHK59Vy92SKxRPt