1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
1/26/11 10:43 a.m.

Vigo
Vigo Dork
1/26/11 1:45 p.m.

^^ You make no mention of craziness on such cars such as variable turbine turbos, fiberglass wheels, factory konis, recaros, etc. But i forgive you.

Honestly, if i was picking one up to screw with, id avoid a shelby unless its already trashed or you plan on making it BETTER rather than worse. They're not any faster than the standard-issue turbo this and thats.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
1/26/11 2:00 p.m.
Vigo wrote: ^^ You make no mention of craziness on such cars such as variable turbine turbos, fiberglass wheels, factory konis, recaros, etc. But i forgive you. Honestly, if i was picking one up to screw with, id avoid a shelby unless its already trashed or you plan on making it BETTER rather than worse. They're not any faster than the standard-issue turbo this and thats.

Did somebody say "variable" and "turbo?"

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Reader
1/26/11 4:30 p.m.

944 Turbo. They've gotten so inexpensive, they're an incredible value.

I really like 924 turbos, but see them as quite a project. At the least I'd plan on megasquirt and a 944 transmission. But I love their look.

David

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 HalfDork
1/26/11 5:31 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:

Does it mean I'm crazy if i say I really like that? That's just neat in a weird way.

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
1/26/11 6:22 p.m.
SilverFleet wrote:
DrBoost wrote: I've lost my faith in the GRM community? How could it take 6 replies before someone dropped the turbo-Dodge bomb? I mean, how much more grassroots can it get. Few things get more bad-a$$ then taking an Omni GLH, removing the ground effects and smoking some 'vette or mustang!
Replace the Omni GLH with Caravan full of crap and you have a winner!!!

Been there, done that on both accounts!!!

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
1/26/11 6:26 p.m.

Here ya go
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f7/f30/341362-1992-dodge-daytona-iroc-r-t.html

forzav12
forzav12 Reader
1/26/11 7:06 p.m.

Man, there are some crapboxes in this thread!

OK, the obvious crapbox choice is the turbo Omni-GLHT or GLHS

The Quattro is THE rally cool choice

The GN is simply the choice for pure badazz-ness

last two are probably too pricey, leaving the Omni. Done.

plance1
plance1 Dork
1/26/11 7:12 p.m.
JamesMcD wrote:
pres589 wrote: Having sat in the front seat of both for extended periods of time, the MX6 would be a much nicer place to be vs. a Fox Mustang.
Also, on the torque steer... If all the suspension bushings and motor mounts are up to snuff, they really honestly don't have a torque steer problem when stock. Most everyone who talks about torque steer on these cars is referring to examples with 150k + on them.

Wrong. I recall the torque steer being pretty bad back when they were new... real bad.

plance1
plance1 Dork
1/26/11 7:13 p.m.
forzav12 wrote: Man, there are some crapboxes in this thread! OK, the obvious crapbox choice is the turbo Omni-GLHT or GLHS The Quattro is THE rally cool choice The GN is simply the choice for pure badazz-ness last two are probably too pricey, leaving the Omni. Done.

Yeah but it aint easy finding a mint GLHS omni that hasn't been bugered up. (Did I spell buger correctly?)

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
1/26/11 8:22 p.m.

Needs another "g".
My buddy found a MINT GLH a couple years back. 40-sumthin thousand miles and clean as can be. Then some old baggle rear-ended the car at a stoplight, totalled it!!!

vazbmw
vazbmw Reader
1/26/11 8:25 p.m.

Damn this is a good thread!

forzav12
forzav12 Reader
1/26/11 8:41 p.m.
plance1 wrote:
forzav12 wrote: Man, there are some crapboxes in this thread! OK, the obvious crapbox choice is the turbo Omni-GLHT or GLHS The Quattro is THE rally cool choice The GN is simply the choice for pure badazz-ness last two are probably too pricey, leaving the Omni. Done.
Yeah but it aint easy finding a mint GLHS omni that hasn't been bugered up. (Did I spell buger correctly?)

I have two, just in case. One, a very nice near stocker. The second has been thoroughly buggered up by me with a full cage, built engine, big turbo, etc.

Raze
Raze Dork
1/26/11 9:24 p.m.

Since no one has put up a good XR4Ti picture, here's what they should have looked like from the factory (Rob Booth, aka Outcast's car), now remember turbo, 5 speed, IRS, low CD, just under 3000 lbs, what's not to like? Oh, did I mention you could easily put down over 200WHP on stock everything with a manual boost controller?

To make a stock car look like that add Outcast's custom grille, headlights off a Chevy Silverado pickup, RS500 reproduction body kit, wheels, tires, and a paint job, blam.

internetautomart
internetautomart SuperDork
1/26/11 9:31 p.m.

My 2 have already been posted.
Isuzu Impulse Turbo RWD (world chassis) suspension by lotus, easy motor displacement upgrade to 2.6 from 2.3 stock.
Subaru GL10 Turbo 4wd (not AWD back then). Only bad thing to me was those stupid air struts all the way around. I learned why good struts were so important because of that.

tb
tb Reader
1/26/11 9:42 p.m.

I actually miss my '86 Dodge 600es more than I probably should... Turbo 1 + auto = not really that quick but wasn't bad with a manual boost controller and a few more psi Digital dash, power everything, alloy wheels... body roll and chassis flex came standard too!

crappy pic of some of my old '80's turbo cars...

hotg54b
hotg54b New Reader
1/26/11 10:20 p.m.
ArthurDent wrote: Mitsubishi Starion! Turbo + box flares!

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 HalfDork
1/27/11 12:41 a.m.
Raze wrote: Oh, did I mention you could easily put down over 200WHP on stock everything with a manual boost controller?

Oh man, that's awesome!

200 HP? Pft. I'm pretty sure I was at least 210+ on mine just with a Rapido intercooler, Gillis boost valve and LA3 computer. I loved how that car went... when it went. But can't say I cried when it went away.

Raze
Raze Dork
1/27/11 6:18 a.m.
fast_eddie_72 wrote:
Raze wrote: Oh, did I mention you could easily put down over 200WHP on stock everything with a manual boost controller?
Oh man, that's awesome! 200 HP? Pft. I'm pretty sure I was at least 210+ on mine just with a Rapido intercooler, Gillis boost valve and LA3 computer. I loved how that car went... when it went. But can't say I cried when it went away.

exactly, I never mentioned Intercooler or a better computer, tune, injectors, fuel pump, turbo, etc....

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/27/11 7:40 a.m.
Raze wrote:
fast_eddie_72 wrote:
Oh man, that's awesome! 200 HP? Pft. I'm pretty sure I was at least 210+ on mine just with a Rapido intercooler, Gillis boost valve and LA3 computer. I loved how that car went... when it went. But can't say I cried when it went away.
exactly, I never mentioned Intercooler or a better computer, tune, injectors, fuel pump, turbo, etc....

That has to be one of the best looking XRs that I have seen.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/27/11 7:42 a.m.

Pricey but I would LOVE to have that in my driveway.

1985 Renault R5 Turbo II

92CelicaHalfTrac
1/27/11 8:39 a.m.
plance1 wrote:
JamesMcD wrote:
pres589 wrote: Having sat in the front seat of both for extended periods of time, the MX6 would be a much nicer place to be vs. a Fox Mustang.
Also, on the torque steer... If all the suspension bushings and motor mounts are up to snuff, they really honestly don't have a torque steer problem when stock. Most everyone who talks about torque steer on these cars is referring to examples with 150k + on them.
Wrong. I recall the torque steer being pretty bad back when they were new... real bad.

Interesting. Mine doesn't torque steer much at all. The only torque steer i really get now is the by-product of massive wheelspin.

Would i want to give it full beans with my hands off the wheel? No. Would you do that in any car?

It torque steered horribly when i first got it, to the point that it was probably dangerous. A complete suspension refresh later and it's pretty docile if you can ignore the plumes of tire smoke.

92CelicaHalfTrac
1/27/11 8:42 a.m.
fast_eddie_72 wrote:

That sounds weak if it's time for an internet brawl. The MX6 will put down 230whp+ and 300wtq with a boost controller. Boost controller only. BRING IT!!

(of course, wrong wheel drive)

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
1/27/11 8:43 a.m.

Does anyone sell suspension bits for the MX6? IE coilovers, swaybars, etc.

92CelicaHalfTrac
1/27/11 9:02 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: Does anyone sell suspension bits for the MX6? IE coilovers, swaybars, etc.

Yep. Superpro makes bushings for it, but don't put poly in the rear. They had a "passive 4ws" system in which they put softer rubber bushings in the back. If you put the polys in, the rear arms will bind. Unless you're cool with lubing them once a month or two, then go for it.

KSport and a couple other korean companies make coilovers for it, and they're fine for normal use, but i'm not sure that i would do high-level track days on them or anything.

Cusco and KSport both make camber plates.

AWR makes engine mounts, rear trailing arms, and strut tower braces. (GT should have a rear one stock, though)

Whiteline and Addco make swaybars.

Addco and Energy Suspension make endlinks.

You can also end up using ground controls if you get slightly creative. Use 2nd gen Tokico Illuminas and Ground Controls for a nice setup.

Stainless brake lines are out there. Big brake setups can be made for stupid cheap. (Mazda6 and Mazdaspeed6 front brakes LITERALLY bolt on.)

That's just to start. You have options for suspension and brakes on this thing. The off-the-shelf motor/power stuff is what most people balk at, but even that is pretty simple, just standard turbo fare.

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ocqs0dsDFz5FFZ4NpaqBY154CjlhJviSxAXjpDx4KDJ9NFJICJz5WBgstR99ItqX