1 2 3 4
mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
1/13/18 7:49 a.m.

In reply to newold_m :

Thanks for that. I'm pretty sure we we would be happy with a base car. I don't need it to feel "fast", I have other cars that will make the S feel slow anyway. I think the goal will be to find a good deal on a clean car with whichever seats fit Mrs. Deuce the best, which will likely be the tightest ones they offered. Time to go sit in some cars. 

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/13/18 8:38 a.m.

If you are considering a CPO car or even just one from a Porsche dealer, go to the Porsche website and look for something called Porsche Search Agent. Type in what you’re looking for and every night around midnight, you’ll get an email listing every pre-owned Cayman at every Porsche dealership in the country. 

mazdeuce - Seth
1/13/18 9:11 a.m.

In reply to Woody :

Thanks. Signed up. Mrs. Deuce is in love with the Viper Green car in Pennsylvania. If it were $30k intead of $39k she'd be on a plane. laugh

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
1/13/18 2:03 p.m.

Seth, if you want someone to put eyes on it, let me know, I’m about an hour away.  I looked at Woody’s Cayman before he bought it too, this might start a trend. 

Woody
1/13/18 3:00 p.m.

Sonic is very good at this sort of thing!

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
1/14/18 12:00 p.m.

For a sports car I don't want "adequate" power.  Especially on a Porsche.  I want POWAH!!! in my sports cars, "adequate" is fine for a DD sedan, or a Miata, which barely makes power to begin with...

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
1/14/18 7:23 p.m.

I prefer the S.  Personally,  whether or not you have other fast cars isn’t a reason to go with the base,  but I would also suggest driving both and seeing what suites you.

Also,  I agree with Woody on PDK.  I recently drove a new 911 Turbo S with PDK and it basically left me speechless.

mazdeuce - Seth
1/14/18 7:33 p.m.
Sonic said:

Seth, if you want someone to put eyes on it, let me know, I’m about an hour away.  I looked at Woody’s Cayman before he bought it too, this might start a trend. 

I'm trying to be rational which is VERY unlike me when car shopping. I still want to get into this for something much closer to $25k. I may give you a call eventually. It's a beautiful car. 

In reply to Cotton : 

We're making a list of the car locally and are going to so sit in/drive them as soon as Mrs. Deuce gets an off day when the kids are in school. I'm actually more concerned about the sport/regular seats than S/non S. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/14/18 8:16 p.m.

In reply to Cotton :

I agree on the PDK. The GT-2 I got to flog a handful of times was simply telepathic. 

Woody
1/14/18 10:34 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:
I'm actually more concerned about the sport/regular seats than S/non S. 

I installed a set of sport seats out of a GT3 in my 911 (same as the Cayman sport seats). They look really cool, but if you have broad shoulders, the upper bolsters may hit you in the wrong spot. The seats in my Cayman aren't sport seats, but they're not base seats either. They don't look as cool, but they feel fantastic. Once again, stop by the house sometime...wink

Not long ago, I was reading an old road test in an issue of Car and Driver from the late 80's. There was a comment in that article that said something along the lines of, "Like all Porsches, the seats feel too small at first, but five minutes later you realize that they're perfect". They nailed it.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/15/18 12:59 a.m.
docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
1/15/18 8:48 a.m.

I don't fit in the "sports" seats at all.  Not even close.  The upper bolsters are way too narrow for me, they seem like they were built for someone the size of a small sapling.  I can fit in the fixed back serious sports seats or the regular ones.

I'm not fat, but I am muscular and those "sports" seats are the worst I've ever sat in, I mean, I didn't fit in them at all!

Woody
1/16/18 7:26 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Want to take a chance for not a ton of money? The new issue of our local PCA magazine came today and this car is listed for $14,500. It's not too far from me and I'd be more than happy to take a look at it for you.

https://www.forzamotorsports.com/porsche-2007-cayman-black-145000-miles/

mazdeuce - Seth
1/17/18 7:40 a.m.

In reply to Woody :

I was kind of excited about this car, showed it to Mrs. Deuce and she was much less excited. She wants a "nice" one, whatever that means. I did ask if I could go get it for a rallycross car (it's already got good tires!) and she gave me one of those "we're not shopping for a car for you" looks. I appreciate you keeping your eyes peeled though. As far as I'm concerned, that car is right at the prefect price point for someone to dip their toe into P-car ownership. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/17/18 7:45 a.m.

I'm tempted to send that link to my ex as she has also expressed a want for a Cayman over the years.  However, I am near 100% certain she would have a similar reaction as Mrs. Deuce.  The 145K miles would put her off, even if the price is appropriate. 

Woody
1/17/18 7:45 a.m.

I've been thinking about a cheap Boxster as a winter beater and I think they would be great for that, but these are really too low for rallycross.

mazdeuce - Seth
1/17/18 7:55 a.m.

To low.......for now.........laugh

My original goal was to find one pretty much exactly like this (I was hoping to find something like a rebuilt salvage car for $12-14k, but this is better) and just play with it. Then Mrs. Deuce got all excited and like all things Porsche in the house it became her deal. I'm ok with that. In the end I still get a Cayman to play with, I just have to keep it nice. 

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
1/17/18 8:02 a.m.
Woody said:

I've been thinking about a cheap Boxster as a winter beater and I think they would be great for that, but these are really too low for rallycross.

Too low?  Maybe for some regions / courses, but not necessarily everywhere.  I've seen a guy bolt some snow tires onto a pretty much slammed 944 track car and run it.  Car came out still wearing all of its body parts.  

mazdeuce - Seth
1/17/18 8:12 a.m.
yupididit said:

Clean Cayman s

Also a nice looking car. It would be nice to know why the engine was replaced. This is one of the first times Mrs. Deuce has had a real opinion about color. It's mostly because this is the first time in a while where we're looking for something where enough of them were built that we can be choosey. She's pretty against black or silver, in favor of dark blue, would be happy wiht Guards Red, would sell one of the children for Viper Green. 

yupididit
1/17/18 8:14 a.m.

How about Agate gray?

This is the color. It is even better in person. 

mazdeuce - Seth
1/17/18 8:21 a.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Anything between black and white is pretty much silver if they put metallic in it. A true non metallic soft gray like Audi used for a while would be awesome, but I've only seen that on a couple of higher end 911's. 

Woody
1/17/18 8:23 a.m.
yupididit said:

How about Agate gray?

Agate gray is really dark. It's a great color.

yupididit
1/17/18 8:30 a.m.

Never mind, he decided to keep the car. It might of slightly been over your budget. Agate gray is a beautiful color indeed. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/17/18 8:31 a.m.

In reply to Woody :

Not that I'm in the market, but is a 145k mile Cayman the type of car where you presume any potential problems would likely have previously been addressed, or is it nearing the point of needing expensive maintenance?

yupididit
1/17/18 8:34 a.m.

Another clean one.

Not really into the interior but some might really like it. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7KqEqpa0qkIh153RHsiOceieWvqFei7DQmZ2oDm6AjfHTLHEZn8flcWpmnKv6ik9