Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/25/19 2:47 p.m.

Work has sent me to Seoul a couple of times in the last few months. In my offtime, I did some exploring of the city, and managed to take a few shots of cars that you don't see in the US. Offhand, I'd say that Hyundai/Kia has at least 50% market share, understandably. The rest of the cars are mostly German, Audis, Mercs, and BMWs. Not many VWs, and hardly anything Japanese. A few American cars such as Explorers, but not many. Here are the pics:

Most of them I was able to identify, but I'd love to hear your educated guesses.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
2/25/19 3:01 p.m.

The 4th picture is a Kia Spectra.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas SuperDork
2/25/19 3:08 p.m.

I drove the absolute E36M3 out of a Porter truck just like that one when I was there. Trucks like that were universally referred to as "bongo trucks" among my people.

I did see an R8 V10 vert in Seoul just southeast of the Blue House. Turned out onto a two lane with really high concrete walls and made a noise that still gives me goosebumps as it echoes through my memories years later.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/25/19 3:14 p.m.

There's a very good reason you don't see Japanese cars in Korea. There's no love loss between them. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/25/19 3:15 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

YEAH.... something about their history. The Japanese were a bit... umm... brutal. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
2/25/19 3:28 p.m.

Man those cars are ugly . No wonder no one wants crap korean cars 

i am in tokyo and hong kong every 5 weeks, car spotting is so much better there 

Tom_Spangler
2/25/19 3:30 p.m.
DeadSkunk said:

Which is labeled as a "Cerata" there, for some reason. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/25/19 3:39 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

Really? just... really?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/25/19 3:44 p.m.
Tom_Spangler said:
DeadSkunk said:

the Koreans have always called the US market cars something completely different than the rest of the world. I've never understood it. The Elantra was the Avante. The Accent was the Excel. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/25/19 4:54 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Most likely has to do with US name trademarks. 

Avante = Ole Studebaker Avanti

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Reader
2/25/19 5:25 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Studebaker never trademarked Avanti, so if that was the reason, they goofed!

Tom_Spangler
2/25/19 7:55 p.m.
bobzilla said:

the Koreans have always called the US market cars something completely different than the rest of the world. I've never understood it. The Elantra was the Avante. The Accent was the Excel. 

Some are the same, though. Most of the cabs I rode in were orange Hyundai Sonatas.

Tom_Spangler
2/25/19 7:56 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

To be fair, I specifically picked out the odd and strange for these pics. laugh

I wish I'd been able to get a clear shot of one of the big black Genesis sedans that were running around. Those things were actually pretty sweet looking.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
2/25/19 8:53 p.m.

Korean Tiburon's were different model than we know. What we knew as Tiburon was called Tuscan there and Tiburon was a small economy sedan.

Esoteric Nixon - Jordan
Esoteric Nixon - Jordan UltraDork
2/25/19 10:51 p.m.
Tom_Spangler said:
DeadSkunk said:

My Uber driver last night picked me up in a Cerata. I had no idea what it was going to be until he showed up. Disappointing, but it wasn't a bad ride. Korean cars are everywhere here in Saudi. White Sonatas for DAYS.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
2/26/19 7:02 a.m.
wlkelley3 said:

Korean Tiburon's were different model than we know. What we knew as Tiburon was called Tuscan there and Tiburon was a small economy sedan.

That’s odd, I always thought the American Tiburon looked like a shark, hence the name. I’m guessing the economy sedan looked very unsharklike.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/26/19 7:58 a.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler :

It wouldn't matter. He hates all Korean cars and assumes they are all E36 M3 all the time. 

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
2/26/19 11:16 a.m.
bobzilla said:
Tom_Spangler said:
DeadSkunk said:

Not sure Hyundai would want to bring the Excel nameplate back to the US.  It would be about as wise as Cadillac reviving the Cimmaron name.

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
2/26/19 11:37 a.m.

The third photo of the mint Nissan cube looking car is quite nice! 

While in Korea try to figure out why the didn't bring the roof top storage bin as an option for the Sedona in the us. Sort of like the SUV in your first picture. The Sedona/Carnival only has that purpose built accessory in Korea.

Thanks for the pictures!

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
2/26/19 11:47 a.m.

A lot of the cars there are CNG powered and have the CNG tank in the trunk. Uses up most of the trunk space so need semi-secure storage someplace.

Tom_Spangler
2/26/19 11:54 a.m.
wlkelley3 said:

A lot of the cars there are CNG powered and have the CNG tank in the trunk. Uses up most of the trunk space so need semi-secure storage someplace.

Indeed. One of my cab drivers had to stop and fuel up. I took a pic of the pump:

drainoil
drainoil HalfDork
2/26/19 7:04 p.m.

I’m thinking there isn’t much of a classic, collector, vintage car scene over there?

Tom_Spangler
2/26/19 7:31 p.m.
drainoil said:

I’m thinking there isn’t much of a classic, collector, vintage car scene over there?

Not that I saw, but I was always in the heart of the city, so I didn't get a comprehensive view.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
2/26/19 9:07 p.m.
Tom_Spangler said:
drainoil said:

Not that I saw, but I was always in the heart of the city, so I didn't get a comprehensive view.

You won't see much, if any there. Koreans don't think that way. Any old mechanical objects or electronics is just old and thrown away. It's the culture. Plus their older cars weren't designed to last and didn't. Also some of the laws restrict that sort of stuff. Got a lot of time there off and on, in the military and as a civilian working for the military plus married to a Korean woman for over 37 years now. My Souvenir.  She doesn't understand my fascination with antiques. Tolerates my grandmothers Mahogany dining room set dating from the 1940's now in our dining room and my classic cars in the garage. 

Remember my first time there in the late 70's, there was a "bongo" truck that only had one front wheel. It was very wide. Dually in the back. And yeah, they would tip over if corner to fast. They were outlawed and couldn't find any went I went back in the late 80's. Last time I was there was 2014, due for another trip. SWMBO is thinking about going back to see the changes, she hasn't been back since coming to the states in 81. No family but wants to see the country again, we are getting old(er) now after all.

Get out of Seoul and you'll see what we call a one-eyed buffalo. Named for replacing the water buffalo as the work animal. These things are pretty cool with all the functions they can do. Has belt driven attachments for about any field work imaginable. Not fast, in fact a hazard on the back roads but they can sure haul some weight.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
d3o0GVbFhwJicc1oMLSXawxgatf6lU0UjZmMxEMKA5DmVhasq8DsjX42m9iNBEis