FlightService HalfDork
April 20, 2011 9:05 p.m.

I have a EJ25 out of a Forester the #1 piston came apart on. How much is it worth?

I was going to rebuild but I am liquidating my projects and now just want rid of it.

It is complete.

Thanks in advance

FlightService HalfDork
April 21, 2011 2:27 p.m.

Not a single piece of advice?

Not even a Miata joke

Ouch

DILYSI Dave SuperDork
April 21, 2011 2:32 p.m.

Dead engine from some random appliance car? If you can get someone to take it away for free I'd consider that a win.

carzan HalfDork
April 21, 2011 2:34 p.m.

Without knowing what other damage may have been done (head damage? rod damage? crank damage? damage to the cylinder?) honestly, scrap value is the best you would get IMHO.

lesabre400 New Reader
April 21, 2011 3:30 p.m.

I found a local ad for an EJ25 that was pulled because the guy did an STI swap. Apparently nothing wrong with it. He's asking $1200 and he's on crack. I wouldn't pay anywhere near that for a non-turbo EJ. One in need of a rebuild can't be worth much more than a case of beer, I wouldn't think. But I'm cheap. You may want to post it on nasioc.com and see if anybody bites. They're pretty quick to draw the flamethrowers on that forum though.

ValuePack Dork
April 21, 2011 4:20 p.m.

Seems like most non-turbo EJ25s in need of any internal work tend to go for ~$100. You may be better off pulling the accessories and heads to sell.

JThw8 SuperDork
April 21, 2011 4:48 p.m.
ValuePack wrote: Seems like most non-turbo EJ25s in need of any internal work tend to go for ~$100. You may be better off pulling the accessories and heads to sell.

I'll 2nd that. I was picking up EJ motors for the Wartburg, complete engines for right around $100

FlightService HalfDork
April 22, 2011 9:54 a.m.

In reply to JThw8:

where were you when I had to replace this thing? I ended up paying $600 for the replacement, next cheapest was $900 for 100K miles. (found out the replacement engine was stolen thanks to a local car theft ring a Police Chief the next county over was running. Fun)

Yeah crank 3 piston rod assemblies, cylinder head (both are usable but the combustion chamber on one cylinder is a little beat), 2 good coil packs (don't ask) intake, then get scrap value on the aluminum.

Cool

Still no Miata jokes? Wow I think the forum is slipping.

ValuePack Dork
April 22, 2011 10:45 a.m.

Alright, the hoarder in me will bite. Which EJ25 are we talking here? If it's '00-newer single cam, I may be interested in a few things.

pres589 Dork
April 22, 2011 11:41 a.m.

Once upon a time there were kits to turn air cooled VW engines into 2 cylinder compressors. One bank pumped air, the other was still an engine. It would be exciting if you could do that with this thing. Otherwise it seems worthless.

sachilles Dork
April 22, 2011 12:13 p.m.

Not worth much. I'd pay $500 for a functioning dohc and maybe $600 for a sohc. A busted one is a boat anchor/parts donor at best. Of course I'm in the northeast which has more than it's fair share of subies.

mrwillie Reader
April 22, 2011 3:20 p.m.

Miata???

Taiden Reader
April 22, 2011 5:38 p.m.

I sold a non-turbo ej25 block (with rotating assembly only) on ebay for $250. I stated in the ad that it was in unknown condition but that it spun freely.

fornetti14 HalfDork
April 22, 2011 6:01 p.m.

They sell faster and for more money up in Michigan. That would list on CL for $300 and would probably fetch $200. You almost never see them for sale and when they do it's only for 2-3 days.

I have a complete one (new HG's and head resurface) that I will list soon for $1,200.

FlightService HalfDork
April 23, 2011 10:57 a.m.

EJ25 SOHC out of a 2001 Forester

Taiden, thanks I will give ebay a try.

Maybe I can put it in a Miata...trunk

FlightService HalfDork
April 23, 2011 10:59 a.m.
pres589 wrote: Once upon a time there were kits to turn air cooled VW engines into 2 cylinder compressors. One bank pumped air, the other was still an engine. It would be exciting if you could do that with this thing. Otherwise it seems worthless.

Would be interesting in a liquid cooled engine, but I like the self contained air pump idea, very jealous I didn't even think of that.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Your Projects: Wide-Body, V8-Powered Porsche 944

27 minutes ago in News

Wing, flares, V8 swap and more!

You Need This: Eclipse!

29 minutes ago in News

Today's special.

Your Projects: Boosted and Flared E30 BMW

2 hours ago in News

Another forum member put it best: “This build is absolutely mental. And I mean that in the best possible way.”

You Need This: 1990 Suzuki Carry 4WD Mini-Truck

3 hours ago in News

It looks cool, matches our cargo shorts, and makes little sense.

Concours d’Lemons: Showcasing the Best of the Worst and the Worst of the Best

4 hours ago in Articles

This year’s Concours d’Lemons celebrated two cars rarely associated with the glitz and glamor of Monterey.

You Need This: Gullwing Doors and Exotic Styling for Just $1500

6 hours ago in News

Meet some brown ’70s awesomeness.

Acura Unveils New Prototype Race Car in Monterey

2 days ago in News

Acura yesterday unveiled the new Acura ARX-05 prototype race car.

We're Back In Monterey for Car Week

2 days ago in News

And so it begins, another trip to Monterey Car Week.

Mark Your Calendars: August 18 Is Wear Your Helmet to Work Day

3 days ago in News

Wear your racing gear to work and win prizes.

You Need This: A Real 1LE Camaro

3 days ago in News

Chevy only built 62 1LE Camaros that year.

Little Car Show: Celebrating All Things Quirky and Small

4 days ago in Articles

As the name suggests, the Little Car Show is all about little cars.

Concours d’Lemons to Ruin Monterey Car Week Yet Again

4 days ago in News

What started as the anti-concours has transformed into a major event on the Monterey Car Week schedule.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
n6Kqa0kL5BsRJX5hA8dazEEsGD8DlJrI