FlightService
FlightService HalfDork
4/20/11 9:05 p.m.

I have a EJ25 out of a Forester the #1 piston came apart on. How much is it worth?

I was going to rebuild but I am liquidating my projects and now just want rid of it.

It is complete.

Thanks in advance

FlightService
FlightService HalfDork
4/21/11 2:27 p.m.

Not a single piece of advice?

Not even a Miata joke

Ouch

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
4/21/11 2:32 p.m.

Dead engine from some random appliance car? If you can get someone to take it away for free I'd consider that a win.

carzan
carzan HalfDork
4/21/11 2:34 p.m.

Without knowing what other damage may have been done (head damage? rod damage? crank damage? damage to the cylinder?) honestly, scrap value is the best you would get IMHO.

lesabre400
lesabre400 New Reader
4/21/11 3:30 p.m.

I found a local ad for an EJ25 that was pulled because the guy did an STI swap. Apparently nothing wrong with it. He's asking $1200 and he's on crack. I wouldn't pay anywhere near that for a non-turbo EJ. One in need of a rebuild can't be worth much more than a case of beer, I wouldn't think. But I'm cheap. You may want to post it on nasioc.com and see if anybody bites. They're pretty quick to draw the flamethrowers on that forum though.

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
4/21/11 4:20 p.m.

Seems like most non-turbo EJ25s in need of any internal work tend to go for ~$100. You may be better off pulling the accessories and heads to sell.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
4/21/11 4:48 p.m.
ValuePack wrote: Seems like most non-turbo EJ25s in need of any internal work tend to go for ~$100. You may be better off pulling the accessories and heads to sell.

I'll 2nd that. I was picking up EJ motors for the Wartburg, complete engines for right around $100

FlightService
FlightService HalfDork
4/22/11 9:54 a.m.

In reply to JThw8:

where were you when I had to replace this thing? I ended up paying $600 for the replacement, next cheapest was $900 for 100K miles. (found out the replacement engine was stolen thanks to a local car theft ring a Police Chief the next county over was running. Fun)

Yeah crank 3 piston rod assemblies, cylinder head (both are usable but the combustion chamber on one cylinder is a little beat), 2 good coil packs (don't ask) intake, then get scrap value on the aluminum.

Cool

Still no Miata jokes? Wow I think the forum is slipping.

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
4/22/11 10:45 a.m.

Alright, the hoarder in me will bite. Which EJ25 are we talking here? If it's '00-newer single cam, I may be interested in a few things.

pres589
pres589 Dork
4/22/11 11:41 a.m.

Once upon a time there were kits to turn air cooled VW engines into 2 cylinder compressors. One bank pumped air, the other was still an engine. It would be exciting if you could do that with this thing. Otherwise it seems worthless.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
4/22/11 12:13 p.m.

Not worth much. I'd pay $500 for a functioning dohc and maybe $600 for a sohc. A busted one is a boat anchor/parts donor at best. Of course I'm in the northeast which has more than it's fair share of subies.

mrwillie
mrwillie Reader
4/22/11 3:20 p.m.

Miata???

Taiden
Taiden Reader
4/22/11 5:38 p.m.

I sold a non-turbo ej25 block (with rotating assembly only) on ebay for $250. I stated in the ad that it was in unknown condition but that it spun freely.

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/22/11 6:01 p.m.

They sell faster and for more money up in Michigan. That would list on CL for $300 and would probably fetch $200. You almost never see them for sale and when they do it's only for 2-3 days.

I have a complete one (new HG's and head resurface) that I will list soon for $1,200.

FlightService
FlightService HalfDork
4/23/11 10:57 a.m.

EJ25 SOHC out of a 2001 Forester

Taiden, thanks I will give ebay a try.

Maybe I can put it in a Miata...trunk

FlightService
FlightService HalfDork
4/23/11 10:59 a.m.
pres589 wrote: Once upon a time there were kits to turn air cooled VW engines into 2 cylinder compressors. One bank pumped air, the other was still an engine. It would be exciting if you could do that with this thing. Otherwise it seems worthless.

Would be interesting in a liquid cooled engine, but I like the self contained air pump idea, very jealous I didn't even think of that.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2okduFKnasvWt5OS1PsCWBTvAutZclwyM6z944RyIfPPMPsh8osryx8qrC92Ux0o