1 2 3 4
92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
10/5/11 8:31 a.m.

I'm still sticking to my guns of the SC300.

Dammit, i'm starting to talk myself into one and i don't even want another car right now.

I'm not really a fan of the wheel treatment, but these cars are just heartbreakingly gorgeous to me.

series8217
series8217 New Reader
10/6/11 12:37 a.m.
JThw8 wrote:
series8217 wrote:
SVreX wrote: I wasn't really kidding about the Subaru SVX. Honestly, it's essentially a Grand Touring car. It fits your description, at a much more affordable price. Don't rule it out.
I don't think the SVX was ever available with a manual transmission.
You apparently haven't seen SVreX's 5 speed swapped SVX which is currently for sale :)

Okay...

series8217 (should have) wrote: I don't think the SVX was ever available with a manual transmission from the factory.

Fixed.

I was thinking in terms of a 50-state legal answer, since I don't know what smog laws are like in PA. In CA we can't legally smog a drivetrain configuration that wasn't smog-certified here; so we can't legally do any Subaru H6 manual swap. I know at least one other state (Washington? Maybe NY too?) cloned our regulations.

Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
10/6/11 1:27 a.m.

If its a non OBD2 car it should be legal in California, they don't care what the transmission is unless it required modifying the computer (or causes any error codes). If it doesn't turn the check engine light on they likely wont even notice.

Luke
Luke SuperDork
10/6/11 4:43 a.m.

I know many people think the SC300 looks fantastic, but I find it a bit bloated. Love the idea of a big coupe, though.

Sounds like a BMW is the ticket, but when I think 'Grand Tourer', I envision 5-series over 3.

Chrissy
Chrissy New Reader
11/5/11 8:44 p.m.

UPDATE!!!

So we did some shopping today- or tried to.

Started with a 04 GTO, black, 60XXX miles, manual. Nice enough but we figured we'd try it out because it was a suggestion on here and we both had our interest piqued. - noticed that the interior was really worn- lots of the leather was worn down- steering wheel, shift nob, arm rest- and very noticeably so. Also, the shift linkage was going bad, hard to put into gear. Test drove it and it was quick. Definitely love the motor but not loving the car. Good place to start though.

We traveled for hours to a few other dealers in search of E46 M3s and Z4s or Z4Ms. Hit 3 dealerships where these we advertised online and they sold either a few days ago or that day. So much for that.

Previously made plans to meet up with a private seller of a 07 Z4M coupe, manual, low miles, mint condition. Love at first sight. the drive was fabulous- very quick. We only got it to 6000 RPM at 50mph on some back roads. Tried not to run the car into the ground since he held our car hostage as we took it out for a test drive. The cons- the suspension is a bit stiff- is this what we want for long trips? Do we need/want the massive amount of power for daily driving? The trunk space is small- really small- but it might be worth it to conform to the space we have. The coupe does have more space than the convertible, so I think we're sticking with that unless we find a crazy deal, which we probably wont. Link to sale: pretty Z4 M coupe

Our next step- test drive the Z4 coupe non M and test the differences. maybe the ride will be smooth enough and the car fast enough that we wont miss the M? That's what we need to test. While we were considering M3s, I think we're loving the look of the z4- it stands out and is really sex on wheels. Maybe we'll drive one but we how can we give the z up? :)

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
11/5/11 9:45 p.m.

In reply to series8217:

I'm interested in your response about CA regs.

The engine and engine management system are completely unmodified on my car (and most 5 speed SVXii). It is an OBD1 car, and throws no check engine lights. Original cats.

Why would this be illegal? Nothing has changed from an emissions standpoint.

mmosbey
mmosbey GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/5/11 10:09 p.m.

In reply to Chrissy:

The Z4 is a beautiful car, but the Z4 coupe is, in my mind, one of the most strikingly beautiful cars of the last ten years. I would love to own one one day.

Chrissy
Chrissy New Reader
11/5/11 10:18 p.m.
mmosbey wrote: In reply to Chrissy: The Z4 is a beautiful car, but the Z4 coupe is, in my mind, one of the most strikingly beautiful cars of the last ten years. I would love to own one one day.

You are so right. Lets be friends. Hopefully we'll own one and you can come drive it.

pigeon
pigeon Dork
11/5/11 10:33 p.m.

I spent a bunch of time sitting in one at my local BMW dealer earlier this year and strongly considered trading my 750 in on it. I came to the conclusion that I'm just too tall and wide (I'm on the BMI line for ideal weight/obese) to live with one daily. My E46 M3 makes a nice GT car IMO. Large enough to pack a large amount of cargo, a small but functional rear seat, and long distance comfort with speed on tap as needed. The Z4M is way sexier but the M3 is probably much easier to live with day to day. Then again I consider my 750Li to be a nice GT also - lots of power and fat tires make back roads more fun than they have any right to be in such a huge car. Bottom line, don't buy the Z4 before spending some time with the M3.

Sonic
Sonic Dork
11/5/11 10:50 p.m.

Pigeon: I appreciate your input, as you've experienced a few of the cars on the list, and I know you are a BMW fan as we are.

The fact that the M3 gives nearly all of the Z4M coupe's performance, and is even more practical and less expensive is quite appealing to me, yet the other part of me just looks at the Z4M and says "hell yea".

A bit more background: Part of our long term plan was to get an Aston Martin Vantage V8 in about 5 years, so this car was to be an interim car until then. I've just always wanted an Aston, and will be in a position to get one around then, just because. It would be used as a daily unless it was snowing. I've been watching Wearymicrobe's posts here where he is having some serious problems finding an Aston that doesn't need some very serious work, even with very low miles. This has made me question of my long term plan was good, as if I spend the $ needed for a decent Aston, I'll be pissed if I have to put a $3k clutch in it and chase cam oil leaks.

That's where the Z4M comes into this more. It was more than I was originally looking to spend, but it checks off nearly all of the same buttons as the Aston does. Yes, it isn't as exotic, but it is also half the price, and more than half as awesome. It is also fairly simple mechanically, very robust, with good parts/knowledge base. I feel like if we get the Z4M C, then I'm all set for 10+ years with it, as it will scratch the sexy euro 2 seater GT car itch that I have, and that I can keep it for a long, long time. It is a car I have lusted after since it was new, and now that I am in a position to afford to buy and maintain it (but possibly not the Aston, ever), I am more drawn to it.

Hotlinked for your pleasure, silver Z4M coupe p0rn:

Vigo
Vigo Dork
11/6/11 12:07 a.m.
if I spend the $ needed for a decent Aston, I'll be pissed if I have to put a $3k clutch in it and chase cam oil leaks.

Other than the fact that the clutch costs more than a normal car (but how much of that is inflated 'exotic' labor rates?) I dont see why a car should be expected to be immune from normal-ish problems (oil leaks, and clutch issues behind a 400+hp motor..) just because it is expensive.

I would say, if that is a major concern for you, i would not spend the money on something that expensive. It will have normal car problems, plus some more because frankly in the real world they're held to LOOSER standards than a toyota camry (etc), so its problems will irritate you more than if you had similar, slightly cheaper problems from a car you didnt hold to those standards.

Sonic
Sonic Dork
11/6/11 12:19 a.m.

See, I don't think that a clutch at less than 20k miles is "normal". I'm used to clutches lasting 80K+. Even considering 'exotic' labor rates, which wouldn't matter as I'd do it myself, the parts cost/availability is a concern. If I just kept the car in the garage and rubbed it with a diaper, it wouldn't matter as much, but putting 15k+ miles a year on it, I'm thinking I would be upset at the parts prices, just because it is an 'exotic'. I've paid that tax on 'marine' stuff my whole life, too, and it still frustrates me.

I'm not looking for Honda Accord levels of reliability, as anything I buy will be more interesting, but I still expect a reasonable amount of longevity out of wear items.

Vigo
Vigo Dork
11/6/11 8:59 a.m.
If I just kept the car in the garage and rubbed it with a diaper,

LOL, funny line.

Agreed that marine stuff is stupidly overpriced.

I sort of agree with you, but i still think if you stop thinking of it as a stock car and instead take a poll of people with 400+hp manuals in general, i would bet very few of them got 80k miles out of a clutch.

But i still think your reasoning is sound and is sort of what i was alluding to.... the problems it will have, and the cost difference in parts vs a less exotic car, will bother you a lot over time.

Saw a DB9 on the road yesterday (first time ive seen one moving), driven by an older woman. Definitely an amazing looking car, but i didnt envy her or want the car.

The car i find myself actually wishing i owned when i see them going down the street is the NSX, oddly enough.

fyrebird33
fyrebird33
4/6/12 11:06 p.m.

If poor fuel economy isn't a deal breaker, might I suggest an RX-8?

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Reader
4/7/12 12:01 a.m.

Sonic and Chrissy:

For the original question, I say 951 or first-gen BMW 6-series. I also agree with the GTO idea.

I do love the Z4M coupe. Absolutely gorgeous car, drives well. It might be too small and too aggressive to be a real grand tourer. If it's big enough, the non-M would probably have a smoother ride with all that yummy gorgeousness. One warning: I've driven several with the upgraded 19" wheels and they got really greasy on track.

Good luck, have fun shopping, and report back!

David

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
4/7/12 12:58 a.m.

Update, as others have brought this to the top.

We bought an 07 Z4M coupe. Interlagos blue, 39k miles. I absolutely love it. It is stiff, but we are young enough to not care. Fast, comfortable, beautiful, gets 21+MPG, why the hell not

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie Reader
4/7/12 6:14 a.m.

Those are beautiful. I need that in my life.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Reader
4/7/12 9:24 a.m.

Congrats! That is drooliscious.

David

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/7/12 8:30 p.m.

Simply stunning - congrats!

J308
J308 Reader
4/7/12 9:18 p.m.

Z4 3.0 if you like the torquey I6 and perfect gearing, or an S2k. I've seen Z4s for 14k and S2ks for 10k.

I owned an 07 Z4 3.0 si new, and it was a berkeleying blast. Quite beautiful, too, white with tan top and leather. I missed that car terribly for a good while.

J308
J308 Reader
4/7/12 9:19 p.m.

Haha, I really should read the thread fully before posting, glad to know my recommendation was close.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
4/9/12 9:01 a.m.
Sonic wrote: Update, as others have brought this to the top. We bought an 07 Z4M coupe. Interlagos blue, 39k miles. I absolutely love it. It is stiff, but we are young enough to not care. Fast, comfortable, beautiful, gets 21+MPG, why the hell not

I really want to drive that car. Drooool.

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
4/9/12 9:11 a.m.

On Thursday, you can!

dculberson
dculberson Dork
4/9/12 9:17 a.m.

Seriously? Hey, let's try to sneak it into the test sessions.

[JUST KIDDING!!]

FlightService
FlightService SuperDork
4/9/12 10:15 a.m.

If you want a True GT that is a great question.

C6, or a Z06 C5 (I like the flip up headlights on the C5) Second on the 840i The Mercs listed are nice but lacking in the style department for my taste.

You could do an XKR for that kind of money (There is one for $15K about 315 miles from you a very nice silverstone edition with 33K on the clock about 100 miles away.)

Just for temptation 97 Aston Martin Vantage $29K

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
P1s8uVpF6pnKJOc8QtHmpvdEgIYNcpVnAGDk74xJD8gg7uId8d7ygenn4kTSnpJL