1 2 3
Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
3/8/11 4:24 p.m.

This is pretty "classic": http://www.autotraderclassics.com/classic-car/1980-Rolls_Royce-Silver+Shadow-402871.xhtml?actionMethod=find%2Fvehicle%2FvehicleSearchResults.xhtml%3AuShipController.init&conversationId=412464

in your price range. Needs more 1uzfe, but, hey, wouldn't the wifie look good in it?

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Reader
3/8/11 4:25 p.m.
TR8owner wrote: My response was just don't get something that I'll have to be continually maintaining. We're trying to think of a decent older car to get her, but one that is relatively maintenance free which eliminates most British stuff and also cheap to maintain which eliminates most German cars. For her it shouldn't be too old either, probably 1980's might be a good era. I'd try and keep the price under $6000 if possible, but can do more for the right vehicle. Any other suggestions?

An AE86 GT-S rwd, 1.6 that runs on regular gas. EASY to maintain, repair. Can fill roles of; sports car, station wagon, econo car. Value holding well, recognized bt Hemmings as an emerging classic.

TR8owner
TR8owner Reader
3/8/11 4:29 p.m.

Thanks for the suggestions. the RX-7 convertible might be a thought. I've also got a line on a 1984 Mustang SVO that's worth looking into. I'm shying away from 944's because although they're cheap, maintenance is not..

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
3/8/11 5:41 p.m.

Since when is something '80s considered to be a classic? (confused)

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/8/11 5:57 p.m.

Since the 80's became 22-30 years old.

Was a Ferrari 250 GTO classic in 1986? Because that's how old a 1990 Miata is now..

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/8/11 6:37 p.m.
wearymicrobe wrote: 912 if you can find a decent one.

You might just about be able to find a 912E for that sort of money, but no 912 worth having is going to be much less than twice the OP's budget. Been a while since the 912 was cheap.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Dork
3/8/11 7:18 p.m.

I too like the idea of an S5 RX-7 'vert. They are sexy. Not sure they quite qualify as a "classic" however, but neither do many of the other suggestions offered here.

For classic, I'd suggest an Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce. How much more classic than that can you get?

TR8owner
TR8owner Reader
3/8/11 9:15 p.m.

In reply to ReverendDexter:

Yeah, technically most 1980's vehicles don't meet my definition of "classic" either, but this is for the wife - remember.

One definition of "classic" is 30 yrs old, so my 1980 TR8 just squeaks in.

TR8owner
TR8owner Reader
3/8/11 9:18 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2:

"I'd suggest an Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce"

I've thought of an Alfa or a Fiat 124, but am a bit afraid of the Fix It Again Tony rep that the Eye-talian cars have.

TR8owner
TR8owner Reader
3/8/11 9:21 p.m.

In reply to Datsun1500:

The only one I would want is the 240Z, but as this is for the wife, those are good suggestions.

As for Porsche 912's, a good one is a lot more expensive than 6 K. I owned 356's and like the 912, but its not the right car for her.

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
3/8/11 9:25 p.m.

http://www.hemmings.com/hsx/stories/2007/08/01/hmn_feature1.html

Some highlights:

GTV

Sprite (awesome!)

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
3/8/11 9:58 p.m.

My girlfriend wants a Shelby Cobra but we decided that a Shelby Daytona would be a suitable substitute.

I would suggest a MGB.

TR8owner
TR8owner Reader
3/8/11 10:01 p.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic:

She wants a MGB but I'm a diehard Triumph guy.

Has to have chrome bumpers and twin SU's though.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
3/8/11 10:06 p.m.

GTV6, AMC Javelin, Plymouth Duster, early Celica (1st or 2nd gen).

Opus
Opus Dork
3/8/11 10:07 p.m.

There is a Datsun nut at the end of my street with 3+ skylines and one 1600 convertible. The convertible is for sale for 5500. Let me know if you want me to get the number for you.

Travis_K
Travis_K Dork
3/9/11 1:52 a.m.

Arent alot of datsun roadster parts ferarri expensive? Like ball joints, timing chains, stuff like that? I wouldnt be afraid of getting a fiat or alfa, they arent really made worse than any other car, other than rust if its a problem where you live. A 124 is much more like a real car than an MGB. lol

Raze
Raze Dork
3/9/11 6:34 a.m.
TR8owner wrote: In reply to 1988RedT2: "I'd suggest an Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce" I've thought of an Alfa or a Fiat 124, but am a bit afraid of the Fix It Again Tony rep that the Eye-talian cars have.

I didn't want to add my totally biased opinion, so after waiting I will: buy a Spider 124, they're cheap (compared to any Triumph, MG, Austin, Jensen), relativley plentiful, good aftermarket support, easy to fix (I mean dumb simple as long as you can read and buy a $5 used Haynes manual). The following website will give you a nice overview of all the model variants: http://mongrelmotorsports.homestead.com/fiat.html to learn about production, pluses and minuses of each style/variant.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
3/9/11 6:44 a.m.
TR8owner wrote: In reply to 1988RedT2: "I'd suggest an Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce" I've thought of an Alfa or a Fiat 124, but am a bit afraid of the Fix It Again Tony rep that the Eye-talian cars have.

That's pretty much BS. I've owned over 20 Fiats and worked for a once-Alfa dealer. The reputation isn't as deserved as the know-nothings would have you believe. The main difference between Alfas and Fiats is parts cost and availability. The Fiat will be much cheaper over the long haul. Assuming you can find one that isn't rusting into oblivion, the Fiat(s) has a short list of known issues that most any decent home mechanic can fix. The Fiat community is a good one and will hold your hand through any process as well as school you on where to find whatever you need. Several of the parts vendors are actual owners, not just catalog stores.

Several have suggested the E30 BMW. I would agree it's an exceptional car if it fits what your wife is looking for. The belief that the Roundel multiplies the costs of maintenance does not apply to the E30. It's very well built, easy to work on and Pelican carries every part you'll need at prices comparable to lesser domestic cars.

Fuel_on_fire85
Fuel_on_fire85 New Reader
3/9/11 7:15 a.m.

datsun or old celica. Mazda Rx2's are cool, but really hard to find. I like the mini muscle cars that came from Japan. That is what I'd go for.

ahutson03
ahutson03 Reader
3/9/11 7:24 a.m.

Alfa Milano

racerdave600
racerdave600 HalfDork
3/9/11 8:12 a.m.

ddavidv is spot on in regards to Italian cars. I've owned a dozen or more Fiats, same for Alfas. None of them even approached the kind of attention any of my British or German cars have. I found most of their reputation has come from people that couldn't work on them, or getting one that had been driven into the ground and repaired incorrectly.

I personally have a soft sport for Alfa Spiders and X1/9s, but the 124 Spider is also a great driver for less money. Fiat parts are also usually dirt cheap, and I imagine with Fiat coming back, a resurgence in popularity could be on the horizon. If you get one that's in decent shape to start with, they really are easy to own. And as a bonus, they don't leak oil routinely like my old Triumphs did!

However, she really, really needs to drive one first. With the exception of the X1/9, the driving position will be typical Italian and not to everyone's liking. They're also a bit easier to drive than say a 240Z since the steering is much lighter and you don't sit so low in the chassis.

Of course any car you get she should drive it first. Unlike today's cars where a Camry seems to drive exactly like an Accord, some of these drive so different from each other in terms of effort and seating positions.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
3/9/11 8:17 a.m.

All suggestions are irrelavent... what does SHE want? As someone with a SWMBO with two classic cars, this is paramount.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Dork
3/9/11 8:44 a.m.
Ian F wrote: All suggestions are irrelavent... what does SHE want? As someone with a SWMBO with two classic cars, this is paramount.

+1.

TR8owner
TR8owner Reader
3/9/11 8:49 a.m.

In reply to Ian F:

Problem is that she doesn't really know what she wants since she doesn't know a lot about older cars. All I can do is make suggestions and let her pick.

Raze
Raze Dork
3/9/11 9:08 a.m.

Corvair would also be cool...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dq1eN2LBKqGFuEd9gJXkoZg6g68Xr21kFqvbVlGK96gsfaQpFPbAxzKIEsURzLDn