1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
8/20/17 8:57 p.m.

I'm right on the 98% line of the eclipse map. Considered heading south a bit to get under the 100% part, but not messing with the traffic. Gonna witness 98% of it from my house. None of those fancy glasses for me, but I 3D printed out a pinhole camera shaped like my state from the NASA website.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/20/17 10:08 p.m.

I'm in BFE Oregon at a crazy aunt's property with the whole famdamily camping. Clear skies and right on the center of the path of totality. We'll have 2 minutes of dark tomorrow!

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/21/17 10:10 a.m.

You guys down in the Carolina's be careful, sounds like the lizard man might make an appearance

SC 'Warns' of Possible Lizard Man Sightings

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
8/21/17 10:14 a.m.

I gonna go out to watch, but just pulling up an on-line image of the progression to look at.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/21/17 10:38 a.m.

If I'd been thinking, I would have stayed in Denver last night instead of driving home.

Posted by the Colorado DOT on their facebook page:

OK, so here is a picture of the Welcome to Wyoming sign. Please use this picture instead of stopping at the stateline. We are seeing major congestion at the stateline because of people stopping to shoot pictures of this. Please DON'T.

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
8/21/17 10:48 a.m.

It started about 20 minutes ago here. SWMBO and the kids are headed down to my office so we can sit on the lawn and watch it. It's only going to get to about 70% here but the kids aren't old enough to understand what's going on, so there was no point in traveling.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
8/21/17 11:10 a.m.
Scooter wrote: So my auto darkening harbor freight helmet won't suffice?

that was what I was going to use, but then in occurred to me that as the sun was covered, and it got darker outside, then the helmet would revert back to clear and my face would melt like a Nazi in Indiana Jones opening the Arc.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
8/21/17 11:17 a.m.
Rusnak_322 wrote:
Scooter wrote: So my auto darkening harbor freight helmet won't suffice?
that was what I was going to use, but then in occurred to me that as the sun was covered, and it got darker outside, then the helmet would revert back to clear and my face would melt like a Nazi in Indiana Jones opening the Arc.

I've been trying to think of a way to force it to darken-so far a cheapie LED flashlight aimed at the sensors wont do it.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
8/21/17 11:36 a.m.

shine a tv remote at it.

Welding Helmet hack

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
8/21/17 11:38 a.m.
stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/21/17 11:48 a.m.

I just got back from the local welding supply store to get a bottle refilled and a customer ahead of me was looking for fixed shade lenses. All the local store had was #10, which is less than the suggested shade for eclipse viewing. I planned ahead and have my fixed shade and an auto darkening with manual control. The other option is to make up a pin hole camera really quick.

trucke
trucke SuperDork
8/21/17 12:01 p.m.

Saw signs in Brevard, NC this morning:

Eclipse Parking $40

Jumper K. Balls
Jumper K. Balls PowerDork
8/21/17 12:01 p.m.

I'm sitting in the bay door area of my shop. I have an old #13 lense in an antique jackson hood.

It's about 70% now and Eugene is supposed to see 99.8% coverage.

I played with the pinhole camera but it just doesn't give the sense of distance between the two.

Lens is where it's at

trucke
trucke SuperDork
8/21/17 12:05 p.m.

My wife told me yesterday that we need to get eclipse glasses. I tried not to laugh. I really did.

Set her up with my telescope with a sun filter. Left the view finder off and used the right angle lens so she's not facing the sun.

Don't tell her I got some glasses at work this morning.

NEALSMO
NEALSMO UberDork
8/21/17 12:07 p.m.

I'm using an ancient welding hood stacked with my brazing glasses. Seems to work pretty well for the 56% we're seeing in So Cal

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
8/21/17 12:08 p.m.

My eclipse glasses ended up getting recalled by amazon, so we sandwiched a #10 and a #5 welding lens together for a make shift rig. Seems to work well.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/21/17 12:16 p.m.

It's neat seeing the eclipse, but the ambient light quality is also really cool...

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/21/17 12:17 p.m.

The street lights have come on...

Jumper K. Balls
Jumper K. Balls PowerDork
8/21/17 12:19 p.m.

In reply to Ransom:

Agreed. The city has gone pretty much silent and the dim light makes it really neat

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/21/17 12:29 p.m.
Rusnak_322 wrote: shine a tv remote at it. Welding Helmet hack

That's what I just came here to say. Just tried it and it works well.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
8/21/17 12:30 p.m.

We will end up at about 75% here, currently about 50. I came here to comment on the quality of the light. Not dusk at all, just dimmer. Interesting.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/21/17 12:44 p.m.

Overcast.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/21/17 1:01 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

Yep, we are in the middle of a thunderstorm. There is a chance it will blow through, but I'm not holding my breath.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
8/21/17 1:02 p.m.

I flew out of Nashville this morning, which will be 100%, to Vegas, which is rain and overcast, so we're seeing nothing.

wae
wae Dork
8/21/17 1:10 p.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote:
Rusnak_322 wrote: shine a tv remote at it. Welding Helmet hack
That's what I just came here to say. Just tried it and it works well.

x3.

We're getting a pretty good view from the camera I built with my middle kid. It's a lens from a $1 pair of reading glasses mounted to a bit of coroplast which slides along a bit of pvc pipe and projects its image to a white screen about 36 inches away.

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rxR8aEjxGOrS9xabpUoPZBWfgXFOF3vIUE7LSRmzzLInYHoGLEsmVkFCl4PiUpPH