californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
3/30/20 11:13 a.m.

On the other thread , it was mentioned that they were "supposedly sanitizing the whole site."  and he was working on a construction site at the Airport......

but what does "supposedly sanitizing the whole site." really mean ?

And not just on a construction site which seems impossible but in a smaller shop or office

I understand you can hand wash down table tops, counters ,  floors , walls  etc  but thats only 10 % of the area , 

So what  gets done ?  Is there something like a Flea bomb that  you can set off in a room ,  let it do its thing for a few hours and then come back and air out the room ?  or do we need to bring back DDT ?

No one seems to know how long the virus lives out in the wild but it seems that it is less than 24 hours , so why not just close the doors and walk away for the 24 hours ?

Just want to know what I need to do if  I need to sanitize the shop.

Thanks for your ideas , 

Say safe  , 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/30/20 11:18 a.m.

UV light kills all sorts of stuff, large areas may be using this.

This is an invention of one of the scandinavian countries, I believe

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
3/30/20 11:25 a.m.

They're taking extra cleaning steps at work.  

"Reviewing cleaning procedures in offices to ensure high touch areas are properly disinfected"

Nothing has changed. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/30/20 11:38 a.m.

In most cases, doing a deep clean will be sufficient. By deep clean, I mean sanitizing every hard surface with peroxide or alcohol. Time would be good too. But the chances that there is some hiding in a corner of the shop that no one has walked near in 2 weeks? About zero, unless that shop happened to be in a Wuhan hospital or on the Princess cruise ship.

UV - C would do it. I've thought about buying a sterilizer box for our phones at home, but decided that was a little silly overkill.

drainoil
drainoil Dork
3/30/20 11:38 a.m.

That vid reminds of a particular episode of Star Trek the original series.  Can’t put a finger on it quite yet.  

Edit: it’s the Nomad (however they never addressed COVID-19 lol)

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/30/20 11:40 a.m.

COVID-19 is fairly fragile. UV kills it. Common soaps dissolve the lipid corona and kill it. Just about any household cleaner kills it. Heat kills it.

Hard surfaces I'd wipe down with a bleach solution, Clorox wipe, or just about any spray cleaner. Floors could be mopped if you were worried about them. Bare concrete and unfinished surfaces I didn't care about, I'd spray down with a bleach solution. 

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/30/20 11:42 a.m.

We have a crew of people in our Depot wiping and spraying every possible surface with a bleach mix or alcohol mix constantly. They are basically doing laps armed with spray bottles, disposable rags, and for big areas garden sprayers. They're doing everything, floors, walls, computers, shop equipment, etc. it's the most serious I've ever seen people take their jobs here.  It's at the point I have to write the letters on my keyboard when I come in. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/30/20 11:46 a.m.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
3/30/20 11:48 a.m.

TJL
TJL HalfDork
3/30/20 11:49 a.m.

There is disinfectants that can be applied with ULV(ultra low volume) sprayers, like mosquito sprayers. I work in mosquito control and were getting asked from all over the world about buying equipment or "can i spray bleach with my mosquito sprayer". 

so maybe its just a walk through and spray but that should be sufficient. They have been doing it with playgrounds and similar. 

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit UltraDork
3/30/20 12:26 p.m.

Interesting, my company is still open (Dealership) and we let all the cleaning staff go last week

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
3/30/20 12:53 p.m.
Donebrokeit said:

Interesting, my company is still open (Dealership) and we let all the cleaning staff go last week

Fate of Golgafrincham

A notation in the Guide about Golgafrincham after the departure of the B Ark states that the entire remaining population subsequently died from a virulent disease contracted from a dirty telephone.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/30/20 12:59 p.m.
Donebrokeit said:

At the dealership my buddy works at they laid off the sales staff 2 weeks ago and have the techs on an every other day schedule. 

The gas station SWMBO works at shut down friday as a regular got in touch and told them he'd tested positive. I'm curious what will happen. They're closed for this week, and everyone is still getting paid, but no word yet on reopening or how long the pay will last without eating into their vacation pay. Owner has 3 other stores, this is the only one he's closed for now. 

She was ready to quit anyway, so this may be the staw that does it. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/30/20 1:17 p.m.
Toyman01 said:

COVID-19 is fairly fragile. UV kills it. Common soaps dissolve the lipid corona and kill it. Just about any household cleaner kills it. Heat kills it.

Hard surfaces I'd wipe down with a bleach solution, Clorox wipe, or just about any spray cleaner. Floors could be mopped if you were worried about them. Bare concrete and unfinished surfaces I didn't care about, I'd spray down with a bleach solution. 

To be clear, UV-A and UV-B will eventually kill it, but not very well. If you want to be sure, using UV, it needs to be UV-C.

Toebra
Toebra Dork
3/30/20 1:24 p.m.

It is all about contact time, whether it is soap, hydrogen peroxide, bleach or UV light.

Oh, and sanitizing a construction site, that is pretty funny.

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe Reader
3/30/20 4:04 p.m.

My work is using backpack carried fogging systems with H2O2 as the primary ingredient to sanitize public transportation. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/30/20 4:20 p.m.
RevRico said:
Donebrokeit said:

At the dealership my buddy works at they laid off the sales staff 2 weeks ago and have the techs on an every other day schedule. 

The gas station SWMBO works at shut down friday as a regular got in touch and told them he'd tested positive. I'm curious what will happen. They're closed for this week, and everyone is still getting paid, but no word yet on reopening or how long the pay will last without eating into their vacation pay. Owner has 3 other stores, this is the only one he's closed for now. 

She was ready to quit anyway, so this may be the staw that does it. 

They're opening again tomorrow. Some 3rd party corporate hired spent yesterday and half of today "closing and sanitizing" the store. 

Kylini
Kylini Dork
3/30/20 4:43 p.m.

You can also fumigate with formaldehyde. 

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
3/30/20 4:50 p.m.

I'm working in a pharmacy. It's a clean environment as is, but the office area is held to regular office standards. Both employees remaining on site, and custodians have gone around physically wiping everything down with wipes and using sprays. No stone left un-turned. I would assume this is how things would be handled anywhere that is being "completely sanitized". We have been wiping down what we can in our down-time, which is a little more than what we would do under normal circumstances. We keep in mind that our specific patients will almost certainly die if they catch something such as COVID-19.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
3/30/20 4:53 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

On the other thread , it was mentioned that they were "supposedly sanitizing the whole site."  and he was working on a construction site at the Airport......

but what does "supposedly sanitizing the whole site." really mean ?

On the news the other night they showed some workers in Egypt who were supposed to be sanitizing the Pyramids.  They were walking around with little hand spray bottles, spritzing them on in the air.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
3/30/20 5:24 p.m.

I have read that covid19 can live up to 48 hours on a hard plastic or metal surface, and considerably less on cardboard or wood. I have not heard of any specific test for various fabrics or leather. I am intensely curious with regard to woven nylons like Nomex, as I frequently wear old racing gloves and have pumped gas in them. For most it would seem just walking away for 2 days should be enough.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/30/20 5:28 p.m.

Anyone wonder if we'll see a resurgence of brass fixtures, knobs, handles, and such due to this?

Wxdude10 - Mike
Wxdude10 - Mike Reader
3/30/20 7:00 p.m.

My Dad works for the company that makes UV strobes for Xenex, a disinfecting robot.  

https://youtu.be/GH319CG5YOE

Very intense blasts of UV-C light.  He described the competing robots that don't use strobes as a 9v battery on your tongue.  Xenex is like a 4kv jolt in your tongue.  He said until recently, his company had only received orders over the lifetime of the product, like 10 years I think, for a total of about 400.  They just received orders for 100/month and are getting contacted for orders that might take that to 1000.  
My dad does engineering and production work.  Needless to say, he is an essential employee.  My dad is 74.  To say I'm worried would be an understatement.   But they have one of those robots in their building and they are using it.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kmSwZY54kpNDgx8UGzUVsOXL2D2NzuTvzlqL2C8fE2vgmqkN6jj7Am092S6dcswa