1 2
Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi Reader
8/30/16 9:55 a.m.

I am considering parting ways with my 99 Porsche 996 C2 coupe. I have only owned this car for about 2 months. I bought this car with the intention of cleaning it up, enjoying it on weekends, and doing some track days. After getting married last month I have realized that I just don't have the time or energy to devote to this car, so I would like to see it go to a new home.

The car is a 99 C2 coupe 6spd with 72K on it. Within the last year the previous owner has replaced the clutch, RMS, upgraded the IMS to the LN Engineering kit. Also done were the air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, oil pan/gasket and brake fluid. I believe the brakes and tires are pretty recent as well, though I do not have receipts for that.

Factory options include:

-Full leather dash

-Leather headliner

-Extended leather package

-hifi stereo

-Power seats.

There have been a few upgrades from past owners:

-996.2 Carerra wheels

-Half clear headlights and tail lights

-HIDs

-996.2 side skirts

As with most 17 year old cars, there are a few items that need attention. The front bumper needs a respray, badly. The drivers seat could use a re-dye. There are dings and scratches on the doors, fenders and quarter panels. The car could also use an alignment and the wheels balanced.

I do have receipts for one of the chain tensioners being replaced, however I believe the tensioner on the drivers side of the engine needs to be done as well.

I am looking to get out what I have in the car, since I have driven it all of 200 miles at this point. I am asking $20K and the car is located near Baltimore, MD. You won't find many 6speed, C2 coupes with the RMS/IMS/Clutch already done for under $25K with less than 100K.

I think my asking price of $20K with all of the maintenance records is a very fair price. If it doesn't sell, I will take care of the few issues it has, and keep it. Let me know if there are any questions. You can reach me at aeichmiller at gmail

-Alex

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
8/30/16 1:30 p.m.

Nice car, shame you won't get to hang onto it!

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
8/30/16 2:42 p.m.

So the new wife doesn't like it, eh?

Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi Reader
8/30/16 3:55 p.m.
spitfirebill wrote: So the new wife doesn't like it, eh?

LOL

She actually encouraged me to buy it. I am trying to finish our home renovations so we can sell next summer and it is taking up every ounce of free time I have.

If I don't have any interest in it, I will replace the tensioner, get the alignment and wheels balanced, and drive it when I can.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/30/16 6:19 p.m.

too soon.. New house on Thursday.. Then P car.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/30/16 7:35 p.m.

Oh, the want is strong with this one. And it's even reasonably local.

Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi Reader
8/30/16 7:48 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: too soon.. New house on Thursday.. Then P car.

Every new house needs a P bug. Just think of it as decorating the garage.

Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi Reader
8/30/16 7:50 p.m.
Duke wrote: Oh, the want is strong with this one. And it's even reasonably local.

Give in to the want. It is the only logical solution.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/31/16 7:00 a.m.
Devilsolsi wrote:
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: too soon.. New house on Thursday.. Then P car.
Every new house needs a P bug. Just think of it as decorating the garage.

I cannot fault this logic

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/31/16 12:13 p.m.

Wow. Free bump for you.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/31/16 12:20 p.m.

And I gave this some love on the GRM Facebook page. The car looks clean.

aki
aki None
8/31/16 12:59 p.m.

If the TDI buyback thing was happening right now this would be a serious, serious, serious consideration. Arg. I'm sure it'll be gone by the time we've sold back our two TDIs. All the best, whether you sell it or not.

I want to point out that Baltimore is definitely local to Connecticut, absolutely local.

Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi Reader
8/31/16 4:25 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: And I gave this some love on the GRM Facebook page. The car looks clean.

Thank you!

Make no mistake the car looks great in pictures, and from 5 feet away, but it certainly could use a little cosmetic love. If you are friends with a paintless dent removal guy, this is the car for you!

I will get some better pics tonight or tomorrow to show the interior, engine and some of the cosmetic flaws. If anyone is looking for anything specific, let me know.

I should also mention, this is the only place I have the car listed at the moment. I figured this was a good place to list the car given that it isn't perfect. If I can't get $20K for it in it's current condition, I will take care of a few of the issues and either keep it, or relist for a higher price.

Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi Reader
8/31/16 4:26 p.m.
aki wrote: If the TDI buyback thing was happening right now this would be a serious, serious, serious consideration. Arg. I'm sure it'll be gone by the time we've sold back our two TDIs. All the best, whether you sell it or not. I want to point out that Baltimore is definitely local to Connecticut, absolutely local.

I am looking forward to the buy back of my Jetta TDI as well.

G8MikeGXP
G8MikeGXP New Reader
8/31/16 6:36 p.m.

I'm pretty interested. And pretty local (Reston, VA)... Check your e-mail.

Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi Reader
8/31/16 7:33 p.m.
G8MikeGXP wrote: I'm pretty interested. And pretty local (Reston, VA)... Check your e-mail.

Replied to your email.

Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi Reader
9/1/16 11:05 p.m.

More photos as promised. Let me know if anyone has any questions. I am free all weekend if anyone wants to come take a look at it.

Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi Reader
9/1/16 11:10 p.m.

Interior.

Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi Reader
9/1/16 11:18 p.m.

And now...the not so great.

Chipped front bumper. It looks like this car followed a gravel truck around it's entire life.

Dings in the driver door. There are 2 in the door and one in the driver side quarter panel, but I couldn't get that one to come out in a picture.

Ding in the front fender in the wheel well.

Full disclosure. There are more scratches and dings on the car that I just couldn't get to show up in pictures. It is really hard to take pictures of this stuff on a silver car.

Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi Reader
9/1/16 11:23 p.m.

Forgot a shot of the driver seat. No rips or tears. No issues with the stitching. It is just very worn and needs to be re-dyed.

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
9/2/16 8:05 a.m.

That looks typical for a 996/7 driver's seat.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/2/16 10:40 p.m.

Price seems pretty darn fair to me. There's an exact twin of your car fs near me here in California for 19k. And 996's, hell 911's are a dime a dozen here.

Yup

Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi Reader
9/5/16 9:26 p.m.
yupididit wrote: Price seems pretty darn fair to me. There's an exact twin of your car fs near me here in California for 19k. And 996's, hell 911's are a dime a dozen here. Yup

No way! The nicer wheels and lights on my car are worth at least $1K.

I had one person look at the car over the weekend, but it is still available. We discovered some water in the rear driverside footwell. It appears the front sunroof drain is clogged. The water backs up and leaks into the drivers footwell, and then runs to the back seat. Luckily it doesn't look to have gotten into any of the electronics that are housed under the drivers seat.

I may start a build thread as I tackle some of these common issues.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/5/16 10:40 p.m.

That was the cheapest running IMS retrofitted 996 I could find lol.

Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi Reader
9/9/16 10:46 a.m.

Bump

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IqEn7SteYZwUQzdqbaxvxSz0IwZSXnF5UsIIcurwIOR7LPfj1wVSikgSA3DaWx66