9 from the '90s | Is now the time to enjoy the machines from the automobile’s second golden era?

David S.
By David S. Wallens
Apr 29, 2022 | Miata, Mustang, Civic, Corvette, firebird, M3, camaro, Neon, Radwood, Integra, 240SX, 200sx, '90s | Posted in Buyer's Guides | From the Dec. 2007 issue | Never miss an article

[Editor's note: This article originally appeared in the December 2007 issue of Grassroots Motorsports.]

When it comes to cars, each decade seems to have its own breed of machine. The ’50s were all about acres of chrome and tail fins, while the ’60s brought us the all-conquerin…

This content is available for GRM+ members only.

You can read it for free in 30 days or subscribe to GRM+ to read right now.

Join Free Join our community to easily find more Miata, Mustang, Civic, Corvette, firebird, M3, camaro, Neon, Radwood, Integra, 240SX, 200sx and '90s articles.
Comments
Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
4/28/22 7:10 p.m.

Stop publishing these things.....................people will start to figure out these are great cars; modern reliabitly but still analog.......................the prices will go through the roof.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
4/28/22 8:14 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

Too late.

alfadriver
alfadriver GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/28/22 8:34 p.m.

So haven't all of the cars been a Challenge car, too?  Some even won?  Heck, some were Challenge cars 20 years ago.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
4/28/22 9:12 p.m.
Rodan said:

In reply to Tom1200 :

Too late.

Yeah I know.

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/28/22 9:56 p.m.

I liked my 97 SE-R but I just learned a couple of things. 1) I didn't realize it was so light and 2) I chose this car partially for the LSD for winter purposes. I was pissed when I found out the LSD was shot not working in the snow. Now I see the didn't put the LSD in the 97s. Hmmm

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass HalfDork
4/29/22 9:06 a.m.

Most of these shot up in value/price a few years back. Shame, used to get stuff like a 240 for a grand in good shape.

RaabTheSaab
RaabTheSaab New Reader
4/29/22 9:46 a.m.

Around here(Baltimore/mid Atlantic in general), I was kinda shocked to find that ek civics, 1st gen neons, and sn95 mustangs are still in the sub 4K range. I dunno if that's because I've gotten used to hyper inflated car prices or they're actually still a good deal.

rattlecan
rattlecan New Reader
4/29/22 8:23 p.m.

Other than the SN95 none of these are dirt cheap anymore. We need to dig up some other alternatives for cheap fun.

RaabTheSaab
RaabTheSaab New Reader
4/29/22 10:53 p.m.

In reply to rattlecan :

1st gen Focus, 6th gen accords, 5th gen maximas, 1st gen Mazda 3, BJ protege (rust not withstanding), 2nd gen neon?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/30/22 11:57 a.m.

In reply to RaabTheSaab :

2nd gen Neons are even worse for rust than 1st gens.  I cannot count how many I have repaired for blown apart subframes, or had to invent ways to hang the exhaust.

It's a real shame because even the bigger softer 2nd gens were great cars.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/30/22 8:55 p.m.

In reply to rattlecan :

Occasionally you can find a great deal on a 4th gen F car.  I got my 96 SS for $3500 recently.

FNhYm2wW80h2upGJFoEhWbGIZXGEo00BLuF9rLs5ZijMOMXHeSF4xNhKpvDPNx8y