AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/15/12 11:37 a.m.

they belong to a friend. here's the info he provided. he said "I'd start the haggling at around $1600 for the pair." Willing to separate, willing to write BA/BE-eligible receipts, etc.

email matt_at_beaterblog_dot_com for more info

pix and driving description here

1971 Simca 1204 (Yellow) ~67,000 Miles if I remember right. I would be very very surprised if it has rolled over. Condition - Running and driving and shockingly original but is very rough. Has a sticking clutch that requires some finess as to not grind gears. Have a spare clutch disk that would go with the car. This is a car that you could easily drive on the weekends or around town as long as your standards for a driveable car are quite low. It will never leave you stranded but it's got some annoyances to drive like said clutch problem, manual brake light switch, and a rooster tail coming through the floor if it's raining. It is TRULY a beater classic but if I don't sell it, I'd honestly drive it to SC with me. Oh, and it does have a sweet VW basket style roof rack, new front brake pads, and a completely new exhaust with two cherry bombs (it actually sounds like an old Subaru with open exhaust). The interior is nearly perfect and the body is very rusty (as in no rockers and chewed up fenders) but I fixed the structural stuff. It's got some roof damage from when a barn fell on it but the roof rack draws your attention first. In summary, the car honestly looks like it came out of a third world country that still used it as daily transport. Unless you have endless patience and a sponsorship from a welding supply store and Eastwood, I would say that this car is beyond restoration for most and should just be driven until it's officially a parts car.

(looks way better than it is)

1971 Simca 1204 (Blue) ~42,000 I think. Definitely has not rolled over. Motor is said to be bad but I have not dug into it. Someone disconnected much of the wiring connections, hoses, exhaust in order to pull the motor. The trans is most likely good. The body is far better than the yellow car as I'm pretty sure that it came out of Louisiana, but not positive. It's got some small bubbles along the rockers and bottom of the fenders and the only rust through is on the inner rockers and rear shock towers but it's not too bad. The interior is partially disassembled but could be almost as nice as the yellow car's. If I were to keep these cars, I would swap the motor, exhaust, and interior from the yellow car to the blue car and clean up the engine bay and fix some rust spots while the motor is out. It would be possible to make one decent car out of two really scruffy ones but I have not had the incentive to tear the yellow one apart as it's reliable transport despite it's laundry list of problems.

I'm sure there are a lot more good and bad things to say about the conditions of both of these cars but that's a rundown.

MG Bryan
MG Bryan SuperDork
2/15/12 11:41 a.m.

I'm so happy these are far away and our trailer is full of stuff.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/15/12 11:43 a.m.

I'm so happy I have no money

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/15/12 11:51 a.m.

i'm just waiting for SlickDizzy and aussiesmg to get here...

integraguy
integraguy UltraDork
2/15/12 12:48 p.m.

I visited Europe (Spain and Sicily) a few times in the '70s, so I won't say I've never seen one of these moving under it's own power / outside a junkyard....I just don't ever remember seeing one outside of photos.

I've driven cars, in my time, that were as good? or bad? as the yellow car, so I could almost feel at home in it. Unfortunately, even at these bargain prices, there are too many other cars that for a little bit more money I'd rather be driving.

1manwolfpack
1manwolfpack New Reader
2/16/12 11:37 a.m.

I'm pretty sure I recognize that car and truck. Is your friend an ex-FSAE member by chance?

BeaterBlogDave
BeaterBlogDave New Reader
2/17/12 1:41 p.m.

Yep, he's an NC State alum. I'm sorry to see these cars go. I've ridden in the yellow car several times.

These things are pretty damn cool and there's more than enough parts to make one rather nice car. If I didn't have four projects in various states of completion I'd be tempted to adopt them.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Gng82BR5dz6ecRISWX6JpUEkbfxLrj1ui0dDRMXZu7vSnBHFsK8XyPbBFqRo3efX