1 2
dan0
dan0 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/3/13 10:40 p.m.

although it's too late already, you did say you take trades?

AwDang
AwDang New Reader
4/22/13 6:52 a.m.

back on the market and in Atlanta now.

After driving it for 12hrs. I've fixed a few things. Plugged a hole in the tire in the trunk so all 4 wheels match, new front lower bushings, inner tie rods, fan, fixed a hole in the heater hose in the bottom of the fan shroud. It now includes 2 new aftermarket front fenders, 2 12 run 225/50-15 V710's.

it drives straight, brakes straight, goes with decent quickness. Got 33mpg on the road trip.

It needs a power steering pump and alignment, Theres a clunk from the rear on hard accelerating upshifts. The shocks are way beyond shot. I found a set of used Billies, they are included, but won't be here for a week. .

still challenge priced at $1800obo

Murphy
Murphy New Reader
4/22/13 7:51 p.m.

Did these cars have subframe problems?

AwDang
AwDang New Reader
4/22/13 8:02 p.m.
Murphy wrote: Did these cars have subframe problems?

that appears to be an E46 problem

BMW has settled a class-action lawsuit that alleged that an undisclosed subframe defect in 3-Series cars built between 1999 and 2006 was costing some owners thousands of dollars in repairs. Motor Trend explains, "The suit originated in 2006 and claimed that defects in E46 3 Series models cause fractures in the rear-axle supports in the subframe. Symptoms include clunking from the rear and outright subframe failure." The company has not admitted that a defect exists, but has agreed to inspect and repair affected cars. A website has been created to administer the repair program, located at e46subframeclassactionsettlement.com. The website explains, "If your vehicle is covered by the settlement, you will be able to participate in a National Sub-Frame Inspection and Repair Program. If you have already incurred out-of-pocket-expenses for sub-frame repairs, you may be eligible to receive reimbursement from BMW by submitting a claim form." Former owners or lessees who paid for subframe repairs on a car no longer in their possession may also be eligible. Visit the settlement website for details. If you're in the market for a new car, check out the U.S. News rankings of this year's best cars as well as this month's best car deals.
Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/22/13 8:42 p.m.
Murphy wrote: Did these cars have subframe problems?

Yes, e36s suffer from rear subframe problems. You can buy reinforcement plates and they have to be welded on. If you track it, its advisable to also reinforce the front subframe where the motor mounts attach to.

J

Murphy
Murphy New Reader
4/23/13 3:45 p.m.

I just wondered when he mentioned a rearend clunk under hard acceleration, I had an E46 that dealer had to replace subframe on.

AwDang
AwDang New Reader
4/23/13 4:15 p.m.
Murphy wrote: I just wondered when he mentioned a rearend clunk under hard acceleration, I had an E46 that dealer had to replace subframe on.

judging be the condition of the front lower arm bushings. Bushings would be my first stop in the clunk chase.

also well someones gonna luck out. It wasn't the hose. The exploding fan took out the radiator. So now it has a new radiator too.

nderwater
nderwater UberDork
4/23/13 6:37 p.m.

Common E36 problem. BTDT.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Uzv0qsPAWPd5ay0VsWyqNPCEqRZEzLSsmzqpVWz36p72rzAmNsMSAFjHPwH9LKNy