1 2
PseudoSport
PseudoSport Reader
5/24/11 2:24 p.m.

I was going to part this out and scrap it but decided to check here first and see if anyone wanted the whole thing.

1998 Subaru Outback Sport, 170K miles, 5 speed manual.

The good: Clean title Runs and drives A/C works Hood is dent free Headlights and fog lights are good New tires 205/60/R15

The bad: Engine has knock (kind of goes away when it warms up but I still think it’s a rod knock.) Might need a clutch Passenger rocker is all fiberglass Rust on rear quarters Needs blower motor resistor.

$600 picked up in Hanover, MA

IMG_20110522_130821 IMG_20110522_130842

MA$$hole
MA$$hole Reader
5/24/11 3:39 p.m.

I'm sure this would make a good Rally-X project for someone.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
5/24/11 3:41 p.m.

damn...why don these deals ever pop up in cincinnati

GLWS!!! she needs to rooster-tail a gravel course somewhere!!!!

SilverFleet
SilverFleet HalfDork
5/24/11 7:20 p.m.

+1 on rally car! The interior is in nice shape too. With a little work, it would make a great winter beater for someone.

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
5/24/11 8:33 p.m.

Oh, thank GOD I don't have a third parking space... That'd look good with my EJ25 in it. Good luck with the sale, it'll be gone quick!

sachilles
sachilles Dork
5/25/11 8:05 a.m.

Passenger side rocker is fiberglass due rust/rot, or due to collision damage? Just wondering how much of the typical new england rust is present(ie does it have servicable rust). I have a 2000 rs, that is all but rotted through, but with a good driveline.....thinking of combining the two.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
5/25/11 9:49 a.m.

Does it have the 2.2L or 2.5L?

SilverFleet
SilverFleet HalfDork
5/25/11 10:19 a.m.

This one has the 2.2L. They didn't put 2.5L's in the Outback Sport (aka Impreza-based Outbacks) until 2002.

Josh
Josh Dork
5/25/11 10:23 a.m.

I'd been telling myself lately I ought to get an OBS for a winter beater/rallyx car. If it had a good motor and was twice the price I'd probably be all over it, but I don't think I can deal with a project right now.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid HalfDork
5/25/11 10:54 a.m.

I have a hookup with subie parts, if I had $600 I would pick it up

PseudoSport
PseudoSport Reader
5/25/11 11:07 a.m.

In reply to sachilles:

I guess everyone has a different opinion of serviceable rust. If you are looking for a rally car or winter beater then the body is not too bad but I’m also the kind of person that thinks everything is fixable. At the back corner of the rear wheel arches on the quarter there is some rust that if you poke with a screwdriver I’m sure would make a hole. On the roof there are 2 rust bubbles where the roof rack mounts. The rear driver’s side door has a plate that covers a rust hole. When I open the door I can’t see a hole or rust at the edge of the door. I was told the plate was put there to pass Maine inspection. As for the rockers there are a few places that are fiberglass due to rust. When I open the rear passenger side door I can see more fiberglass at the bottom left corner. Not sure how bad the rust is since it’s all covered. I’ll see if I can take more pictures this weekend.

2011-03-26_19-04-09_631 2011-03-26_19-03-46_397

sachilles
sachilles Dork
5/25/11 2:07 p.m.

certainly falls into my serviceable standards at least for the typical subaru spots. It's the rocker that worries me, as it might be indicator of the rust underneath. Truth be told other than the patch on the door it appears to be in better shape than what I'm currently daily driving. In a perfect world, I'd prefer one in better shape, but I'm not sure many of those exist in the northeast, and certainly not at this price.

PseudoSport
PseudoSport Reader
5/31/11 2:56 p.m.

Bump.

Might just part this out and scrap it. Anyone need a hood or some rims and tires?

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
5/31/11 8:00 p.m.

FWIW I have a good 98 2.2 (approx 100k on it) sitting in my garage (NJ) I'd let go cheap if someone picks this up. Was a spare for the Wartburg but Im now moving to a 2.0T

If I had the time I'd set this up for my daughter as a first car, it would be perfect for her, just no good way for me to come get it.

corytate
corytate Reader
5/31/11 8:35 p.m.

if i had any luck with the lotto=]

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
6/1/11 4:55 p.m.
PseudoSport wrote: Anyone need a hood or some rims and tires?

I could be interested in the steelies and tires if you opt to part out. PM me a price and tire info if you get that far, I'm amazed that this hasn't sold yet.

PseudoSport
PseudoSport Reader
6/1/11 5:21 p.m.

In reply to ValuePack:

PM sent.

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
6/1/11 9:03 p.m.

PM returned.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
6/1/11 10:46 p.m.

If anyone buys this car with intent to strip out the interior, I may be interested in it (complete). A deal might include swapping 2 nice WRX seats which I have but I'd rather the stock interior.

Weird, huh?

PseudoSport
PseudoSport Reader
6/1/11 11:36 p.m.

If you were closer I'd take you up on that offer.

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
6/6/11 3:51 p.m.

Bump for a good seller(great to meet you, Greg). Someone should at least snatch the hood off this before it hits the scrapper.

PseudoSport
PseudoSport Reader
6/7/11 12:38 p.m.

Thanks, it was nice doing business with you. I looked into that coil connector and it’s only three wires.

I plan on scraping the car next week but I’ll keep the hood around for a while. I’m pretty sure that will sell. So far the only things removed or spoken for are the rims/tires, fog lights, and a rear wheel speed sensor. I also took some more pictures of the rust but I just need to get them uploaded.

RoadWarrior
RoadWarrior Reader
6/8/11 6:35 p.m.

Any damage to the stereo surround? I need a few odds and ends for my 2.5RS. I wonder how close to the color of my 2.5RS the carpet is...mine is in rooough shape.

PseudoSport
PseudoSport Reader
6/8/11 6:48 p.m.

I think the stero was removed but the surround is in good shape. I'll double check.

As for the carpet it's kinda beat up on the drivers side and has a hole. Also the prior owner had a dog.

RoadWarrior
RoadWarrior Reader
6/8/11 8:20 p.m.

Argh..sounds like the same issue I got, it's probably a hole from where the floormat hook used to be.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
55dde8TJJ8NJ2yFYyFwLMEJdOthm1MubJKqJ4OINcAxydWyzrqk8gsskXy71oYoq