AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/2/13 9:05 p.m.

nmna but dang is chicago the ATL of the north?

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/3708383403.html

it's sitting on bias plys, so maybe has been sitting a long time...

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
4/2/13 10:32 p.m.

wow that looks solid

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/3/13 5:50 a.m.

Clean, rust free Corvair in Chicago? That's a photoshop, right?

Doc Brown
Doc Brown Dork
4/3/13 6:41 a.m.

A late April fools joke?

AngryCorvair
4/3/13 7:34 a.m.
fujioko wrote: A late April fools joke?

i thought it might be, but it was posted on 3/28. i will call at lunchtime today, as i've gotten no response to my text from last night.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
4/3/13 8:08 a.m.

If that was close to me it would be mine.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
4/3/13 8:23 a.m.

it says Chicago but his "618" area code is Southern Illinois - so who knows?

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
4/3/13 8:52 a.m.

Exterior looks great, seats look good, not sure what's going on to the left of the interior shot though. Also no engine pix? "Does it have one" is the question?

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
4/3/13 8:58 a.m.

Let me know if you need eyeballs on it. Weird you're seeing non-rotten stuff in Chicago. Most projects are well on their way to returning to the earth.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin PowerDork
4/3/13 9:51 a.m.

That car is either a recent immigrant to Chicagoland, or (like Mr. Angry) said it's been sitting for a long, long time.

I wonder what's going on there.......it looks remarkably clean.

AngryCorvair
4/3/13 10:43 a.m.
Jerry wrote: Also no engine pix? "Does it have one" is the question?

it would be sitting a lot higher in the rear, with a lot of positive camber on the rear tires, if it did not have an engine in it.

oldtin, i do not need eyes on it yet. i really should quit looking until i sell the mazda.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
4/3/13 10:47 a.m.

This car has just made up my mind on whether or not to rebuild the trans in my truck. Hear me out now.....ever since I put the larger turbo and injectors in my truck the auto in my 95 Dodge dually has been acting out a little....slipping occasionally, holding the 2-3 shift under load, etc, so while it's fine for trips that aren't too far I would not trust it for a long trip while towing. I NEED to be able to go get cars like this, they will probably only cause me grief, money, and time, but if I haven't learned my lesson by now I never will. so it's settled, after I get back into town on Tuesday this 1k Corvair, which I'm not even buying, is going to cost me over 2k in trans rebuild.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
4/3/13 11:43 a.m.

I just called the number - ring....ring.....ring.......voicemail - guys name is Mark.

I left a message.

AngryCorvair
4/3/13 11:57 a.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy:

i'm not in the market, but as the resident corvair guy i felt it was my duty to try to follow up with the seller as well. i hope you get it.

In reply to Cotton:

What's a good plate with nothing on it? I mean, if you can't use the truck as a truck, why not just have a moped? And it's true that if you haven't learned by now, you're not going to learn.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
4/3/13 2:44 p.m.

I missed the guys call back - and he said he is in a meeting. Still has car - eng/trans pulled 10 years ago - engine locked up. Full rebuild or another engine needed. floor pans have had fiberglass repairs - "Not going to be a show car".

The car is in Rogers Park - the North side of Chicago - or as they say "over by da nort side"

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
4/3/13 3:25 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: In reply to Datsun310Guy: i'm not in the market, but as the resident corvair guy i felt it was my duty to try to follow up with the seller as well. i hope you get it. In reply to Cotton: What's a good plate with nothing on it? I mean, if you can't use the truck as a truck, why not just have a moped? And it's true that if you haven't learned by now, you're not going to learn.

yeah I hear you. Truck has been working fine on the local tows...last one around 80 miles round trip, but I just don't want to go far anymore because I feel like I'm on borrowed time with this trans. Regardless, she will be all better again soon thanks to cars like this lol.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hSkTfvxZgYYp3X1NH8aSjlt4VlwkqDA4pnK87u3K5Hn9AGBrx9EvW1LB9441w4zU