1 2
Egghead Racer
Egghead Racer Reader
3/22/16 2:19 p.m.

I did get some additional pictures, I will post them up when I get to a computer that will allow me to do such things.

Egghead Racer
Egghead Racer Reader
3/22/16 3:36 p.m.

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
3/22/16 4:24 p.m.

What a cool little car. It's a shame I'm elbows deep rebuilding the garage and have three thousand projects stacked up behind that.

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/23/16 6:48 a.m.
dculberson wrote: What a cool little car. It's a shame I'm elbows deep rebuilding the garage and have three thousand projects stacked up behind that.

+1

I'm trying to make house projects my priority this year, but continue to look for (and find) ads like this one to tempt me.

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
3/23/16 8:32 a.m.

So.....does it actually run? Is it just a head gasket EVENTUALLY? (He asks with trepidation and a reasonable savings account).

HoserRacing
HoserRacing Reader
3/23/16 9:56 a.m.

Ok, after owning ~100 of these over the years (at one time I had 20+ in the back yard), I'll throw in a few cents worth :) Head gaskets are not bad, but it's an aluminum head/iron block & steel head bolts, so you'll have to worry a little about getting everything apart. Not super hard, but have patience & plenty of WD40.
The engines are fairly simple, but very anemic. Put in a cam and header, DMTR carb, and they are a lot more fun. Watch out for rust, it was cheap metal. Under the tray in the trunk, in the corners in front of the front wheels and behind the rear wheels, as well as in the little pockets right behind the rear window in the engine bay. FYI, the bolt pattern is 4x98, so wheel selection is not great, and neither is tire selection. They are fun, but after I discovered Miatas, I never looked back.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/23/16 10:45 a.m.

In reply to HoserRacing:

Use a proper penatrate and the headbolt issues are lessened. WD-40 doesn't really help with stuck bolts as it is a Water Displacer. PB Blaster or Kroil, FTW!

With Fiat's return to the US, the 4x98 wheel selection has gotten slightly better. I figured out that 195/45 15's would fit on an X-1/9. Assuming you could find the tires which wasn't easy.

With wobble bolts you can fit 4x100 wheels, but the tire selection in 13's is still tricky outside of sticky race rubber or trailer tires :). It isn't the end of the world, but it is something to be aware of.

The rust spots are spot on, but the cars are very strong for their size, so patch it up and use POR-15 where you can and enjoy the car.

MegaSquirt and some factory EFI bits will also help wake the car up. A Yugo cylinder head can be used to up the compression ratio if you'd like. Or you could leave the stock head in place and add a small turbo.

Lots of tips and tricks available over on the xwebforums.org.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
3/23/16 11:15 a.m.

Oh and as far as wheel issues go, this is a potential solution:

http://www.midwest-bayless.com/p-7543-dallara-new-fiat-bertone-x19-body-kit-dallara-style-awesome.aspx

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/23/16 11:15 a.m.

You guys are not making this any easier.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
3/23/16 11:16 a.m.

In reply to Rusted_Busted_Spit:

berkeleying Duh!

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 UltraDork
3/23/16 8:57 p.m.
HoserRacing wrote: The engines are fairly simple, but very anemic.

So what you're saying is that it needs a neon dohc 2.0 swap?

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
3/23/16 9:34 p.m.

I have been looking for an X1/9 to put the motor from the Spirit R/T into...

Rusted_Busted_Spit
3/24/16 9:25 a.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo:

There are enough people here in Columbus someone would be able to hold on to it for you.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
3/24/16 9:35 a.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: I have been looking for an X1/9 to put the motor from the Spirit R/T into...

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/24/16 9:39 a.m.

If you want to "keep it in the family" import a 2.0TS Alfa powertrain from a 155. There has been a guy doing that for a long time. That would be cool.

(I'd like to see a 1.6l Ecoboost fit, that would be fun. Or perhaps a 1.0l)

Stefan (Not Bruce)
3/24/16 10:08 a.m.

There was a DOHC version of that Lampredi engine used in the later Fiat Uno.

There was also a SOHC Turbo version as well, it was used in the Uno Turbo :)

Others have swapped the DOHC drivetrain from the Lancia Beta/Montecarlo.

I suspect she wants to use the T3 drivetrain from her poor, dead Spirit R/T.

Just be aware you'll have to relocate the driver's side frame rail upwards about 2-3 inches to clear the transaxle. The water pump will also foul on the passenger front lower frame rail, so an electric water pump or sectioning the frame rail will be needed. The inboard CV joints should fit the Fiat axles and the rest is standard engine swap stuff, so lots of small details that will take a bit of time/effort to sort it all out.

Egghead Racer
Egghead Racer Reader
3/24/16 12:01 p.m.

I still want this. Darn you, SWMBO! I mean, sorry, dear! Thank you!

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
3/24/16 6:29 p.m.

You're all safe. I emailed asking about the gasket finally, he says it's sold. (Unless one of you bought it, I guess.)

Rusted_Busted_Spit
3/25/16 8:24 a.m.

Thanks the lord, though now there is that GTV in Cleveland.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TKUbmPg8b1CrLp201h0e8mo6AZbeZY1vT5G7OP0e4ZwN65kh0UTkOm9oOwF0lGjN