Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/18/24 9:31 a.m.

I'm confident that I know the answer to this one, but I'm going to ask anyways (flame away at me for knowing better, bonus points for Stampie doing so, as he's been too quiet as of late) 

But 18 years ago I purchased a big brake kit that included fresh slotted rotors and pads. When packing to move I found said setup. If I were to machine a caliper carrier bracket to fit the kit to the Ford Econobox would the budget hit be the original purchase price of the kit plus the material cost to machine the carrier bracket. Or as the kit saw 80,000 miles of service on my xB, could it be FMV'ed? 

Added wrinkle, replacement pads and rotor cost, as they're not stock pads nor rotors, those would presumably need to be baked into the budget cake still. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/18/24 9:50 a.m.

To summarize, you have a used brake kit, you originally bought new a long time ago for a different car, that you want to adapt to your Challenge car? I would go with a FMV request.

9/18/24 10:11 a.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

Correct; though slight correction, I purchased the kit used, but with fresh pads and rotors included, a long time ago. My original purchase price was $650

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/18/24 10:20 a.m.

I would also think fmv.

Then my next thought is....  why?  

If you are trying to stay in challenge budget, this is then presumably for the challenge.

If this is for the challenge, why do you need better brakes?  Braking is arguably the least important dynamic ability of a vehicle in the challenge.

Good condition stock brakes should be able to overwhelm the tires grip for the 2 or 3 times in an autocross where they would be needed.

Just curious I all.

9/18/24 10:45 a.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

I'm part because if I run them amon the car at the challenge one year, then I can remove them, sell them and count it towards recoup allotment to then purchase a limited slip differential, which is needed to keep the transmission from turning to dust when fitting forced induction. 

You're 100% spot on with upgraded pads and rotors, which I already have on the car, being the better option. I found that to be the case on the x B that I originally fitted the brakes to. Though, with the Ford Econobox not having ABS, there's a minute chance that having six pistons as opposed would provide a benefit of allowing more pressure longer prior to needing to threshold brake, but the difference in quality pad availability for the fitment likely will negate that. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/18/24 12:06 p.m.

Ah, gotcha.  I don't thought of doing that with previously budgeted items. Good idea!

9/18/24 12:25 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

My favorite mental exercises with regards to the challenge involve playing the long game. Concepts remain similar, but execution becomes so much better when refined. In motorsport, slight tweaks and refinements go a long way with regards to reliability, longevity and in finding mechanical grip or percentages of increased power output. 

maschinenbau
9/18/24 12:38 p.m.
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

I'm part because if I run them on the car at the challenge one year, then I can remove them, sell them and count it towards recoup allotment to then purchase a limited slip differential

I don't think that's how it works. If you remove the brake kit the following year, it's not recoup, you just remove the purchase from your budget. 

9/18/24 12:39 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

I'll very likely keep the stainless steel lines that came as part of the kit...

maschinenbau
9/18/24 12:43 p.m.

In reply to Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

Then just FMV purchase the lines. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/18/24 1:50 p.m.

The big question is wtf do you need better brakes anyway?  The car is so slow you could just throw out an anchor and stop better.  

9/18/24 2:14 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

I tried that back in March with another vessel and we have a thread about a billion dollar bridge collapse due in part because of that, better to be safe than sorry. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
I4S4h7JA4IGWytDp2ZDfmt2fQHTGIGWMbkCPEFjQy3FCRk6eJGMQwKx5Sifwjsbg