hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/23/19 12:09 p.m.

Just got a call from Joe who needs help getting his car (Subaru van) from Canton, OH to the Challenge. Joe is driving to Miami FL to work today and tomorrow but the rest of his team and the car are in Canton. Everyone has been pulling crazy hours to get the car done and they only have one driver (who is working on ~ 1 hr of sleep) to get their RV and trailer rig to FL. If you are close to Canton or somewhere along the route and can help drive, please reach out to Joe at 864-Three 1 Three-2918 ASAP.

Hope someone can jump on this and make it to the Challenge.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/23/19 12:13 p.m.

Everyone I know in that area is coming already. John?  I'll text him. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/23/19 12:28 p.m.

I'm already here and john/jonah are probably close to if not already in WV.  Keith is flying solo as far as i know.  Why is it in Canton and why didn't i know this? 

My suggestion is a large coffee at first fuel stop and huge coke at 2nd.  

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/23/19 2:25 p.m.

Just heard from Joe that Stampie contacted John Welsh, who was already on his way, and John agreed to turn around and drive 2 hours back North to help drive this rig down. That is a SOLID!

John, you are truly an ambassador to this event and this community!

Stampie
10/23/19 2:29 p.m.

John is the man. He didn't hesitate. Just asked if he should turn around or wait for him to catch up. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/23/19 4:00 p.m.

Pure legend. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/23/19 6:56 p.m.

Oh, wow, thank you, John, and see you soon. Drive safely. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/23/19 7:43 p.m.

GRMer Dead Sled is with me too and we pointed the Prius back to help. 

We hope to be at The hotel sometime in the dark Thursday 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/23/19 8:25 p.m.

This group is truly inspirational. 

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
10/23/19 8:52 p.m.

John, you rock. 

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
10/23/19 11:53 p.m.

It's alive!

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
10/24/19 2:11 a.m.

And we're Rollin! yes

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
10/24/19 5:12 a.m.

You two are the heroes we need. 

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
10/24/19 5:54 a.m.

And we're in Charleston for fuel.

John's the real hero, not only has he driven this beast all the way so far, he's got the stories to keep us awake.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
10/24/19 6:07 a.m.

John stories are awesome, agreed. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/24/19 8:20 a.m.

I'd have ignored that text if i were already 200 miles past, let alone when i realized it would put me back a day.  John is a good man, I'm glad he's a friend of mine 

Stampie
10/24/19 10:01 a.m.

When I grow up I want to be like John. 

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
10/24/19 2:08 p.m.

Got about 90 minutes of sleep, it's almost impossible to sleep in the back of this thing when it's moving.

Fueled up again.  On 26 about to hit 95, current ETA is 820.

We'll be back on the road once we collect our free money from the good ol boys behind the pilot station!laugh

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
10/24/19 2:50 p.m.
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/24/19 5:23 p.m.

Thank you all for the kind words. 

We are in Florida and should be on site a little after 8:00pm

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/28/19 11:52 a.m.

I told this story a whole lot over the weekend but there was no time to write so as to fill in those at home.  Here is more of that story...

I dropped the kids to school and hit the road about 8:30am Weds.  At 9:30am, I picked up DeadSled (Jonah).  We both had failed in getting our cars prepped but we were now just planning to go to attend, maybe help with the Parking Lot Build or jump in where needed.  The original plan was to take it cheap and easy driving down in my 44 mpg Prius.  We were shooting to get most of the way Weds or at least South Carolina and then finish the remaining 4 hours Thursday morning with a goal of lending a hand to the parking lot build at Noon Thursday.  At Noon Weds, we were getting gas and a stop at Wendy's in Marietta, OH at the W Virginia border.  This is where the phone began to blow up.  

The basic story is that Joe's Mystery Machine car is in Canton, OH.  They are super behind on getting it ready.  Much of this behind-ness is because they spent all the previous night tuning the car on a dyno where it now makes 350 hp!!!!  The car weighs 1500 lbs with the driver in!!!!!  

I knew the car because I had been in it's presence for $2017

The issue these guys are facing is now that they have wrenched all night and day on the car, no one is rested enough to actually start driving the RV Rig the required 900+ miles or about 13.5 hrs w/o considering time to stop or considering the slow pace of the big rig.  (Actual time down was closer to 17 hrs)

After a couple of phone calls, first Stampie, then Joe, that then got me the phone number of Rick.  I had never met Rick but the car was at his house and he owned the RV.  I asked a lot of questions about the RV.  I was very direct that I did not want to drive something that would be over taxed by the load.  When you hear camper and trailer that gives visions of some bad combinations.  I did not want a van with a box on the back which is too much load for the van in itself and then you add a trailer making it really unsafe.  I then find out that the RV is based on a Kodiak 5500.  I knew what this means and that its a real truck.  Closer to the biggest Uhaul, the 26ft Uhaul type frame.  

So, now at about 1:00 and about 4 hours traveling 200 miles in for the day we pointed the Prius 2 hours back north.  Super thanks to Jonah, who agreed too to go back.  We arrive at Ricks shop a little after 2:30pm Weds.  We see the Mystery Machine in what seems like complete disarray on Rick's barn floor work area.  If becomes real evident that even if we help this car still might not make it.   At the shop there are 3 guys working on this tiny car.  Two guys will then be traveling forward to Gainesville and one guy will be staying in Ohio.  They have more than capable hands working on the car.  An issue that you facing when potentially helping with a Subaru on a Legends chassis, with a motorcycle engine running a turbo is that you first have to understand some of these things before you can help.  Looking over the list we also say that there were need for the RV so Jonah and I went and worked on that.  These included:

• Change oil on the 8.1L GAS engine that calls for 9.5 quarts.  Lucky, lots of ground clearance so no jacking truck required. 
  • Check issues with house batteries
    • We then pulled the two batteries and took a wire bruch to all the connections (which seemed to be the solution)
  • Tighten differential bolts
    • It seems the the lower bolts loosen and then leak.  They have been marked and sure enough, to look at them you can see they have loosened.  The main issue seems to be they have gotten wet with dif oil so they never perfectly tighten.  The needed method is to drain all the oil then clean and refill.  We will leave that for another day.  At this point, just tighten.
  • Fix, correct the aftermarket remote tire pressure monitor system.
    • He has a very cool aftermarket TPMS that will give you a reading of every tire including the trailer tires with little sensors screwed onto the valve stem.  After reading the manual we thing the issue was a bad battery in one sensor, replaced.  

Then some food arrived at the house so everyone at.  From there Jonah and i helped with what we could and I continued to drive the pressure of we need to get rolling at Midnight.  At about 11:30pm I was starting to get drawn into the issue these guys were facing already.  I was still working and no one was rested enough to drive.  At Midnight I dropped out and went into the RV to sleep, Jonah too.  I had resigned myself to the idea that I was driving at 6am for sure.  That could mean I am driving the RV but if not, I'm driving the Prius at 6am.  

At 2:30 am I was awoken to the sound of the Mystery Machine being loaded in the trailer!!!  

At 3:00 am, exactly, I was turning the key of the RV and pulling out onto the super dark country road that Rick lives on.  With Jonah riding shotgun, I was at the helm until 8:30 am and got to the Tamarack plaza in West Virginia.  At that time Jonah took the helm and drove us until Noon.  That then means the other two, Rick and Lon had then been laying down in the back of the rolling RV since 3:00am - Noon or 9 hours.  At noon then Rick too a shift followed by Lon taking a shift.  About 7pm Thursday, I got back on the helm again and drove the short leg from Jacksonville to Gainesville which is a drive I have made multiple times going the The Challenge.  All done and pulling into the hotel about 8:20pm Thursday.  

Jonah and I had intended to split 1000 miles in an easy approach of 2 drivers.  Instead we became 4 drivers and I personally drove the most but it was only about 350 miles.  We intended to arrive Thursday at Noon and instead arrived Thursday at 8pm.

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
10/28/19 12:13 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Awesome story. Just making it to the challenge was a victory with all that went on.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/28/19 12:17 p.m.

The RV Rig:

I was very impressed with the RV Rig.  This one is a 2004 and has only 80k miles.  I googled some info on it and here is a link to info on a sister-ship.

http://www.rvweb.com/guides/manufacturers/gulf_stream_coach/models/2005_conquest_super_c-1099932469939 

It is 32 ft long and leaves the factory with a trailer hitch rated for 10,000 lbs.  Though we were pulling a trailer it didn't weigh anywhere near 10,000 lbs and the car in it weighed 1,400 lbs.  However the combination makes it very long.  I took this pic at a truck stop and I parked exactly even with the front bumper of a sleeper cab semi hauling a 53 ft trailer.  Yes, it is shorter but not by a lot.  If this had been a non sleeper semi pulling the common 48ft trailer, we would be about the same.  Easily a 55ft combo.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eBEw1ebyQ8LrVH6pvuX1waahgKZtMoE2tWAiijqYxnbVXiCaldhKrAL9S8ajtZtT