jmill144
jmill144 New Reader
1/27/21 8:00 p.m.

Has anyone ever messed with building a w-body challange car? I was wondering how light you can get one if you completely gut it and remove all accessories and non-essentials. They seem to make ok power with bolt-ons. If you can get one light enough it would probably even help out their weak 4t60 trans.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit UltraDork
1/27/21 8:19 p.m.

The "W" body is just heavy,  I would try to manage the weight  and build more power.  The trans can be improved, kits are out there.

And I love my 2004 GTP comp G car.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/28/21 8:55 a.m.

I had planned to do a lumina z34 that i got for $500 because it was cranked up to 300+hp and kept breaking 4t60's for $2005ish and i even procured a 5 speed swap for it, but found nasty crash damage when i was taking it apart for the swap.  I finished a similarly bought(dead auto, engine turned to 11) 90 turbo grand prix and completed the 5 speed swap and wanted to bring it to $2008 but it lost the oil pan end seal and started knocking as I pulled over and sold it out of frustration.  

jmill144
jmill144 New Reader
1/28/21 11:08 a.m.

In reply to Patrick (Forum Supporter) :

So your saying don't do it.  it's cursed! Lol. 

Ive heard the 4t60e's are pretty weak. I was hoping with only 250-300whp and taking as much weight out of it  as possible that it might live, at least for a while, in that config. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
1/29/21 9:50 a.m.

There was a 2000 Grand Prix there in 2017.  I can't remember if it was a GTP, but based on the quarter mile time, it probably wasn't.  I think it also ran a full interior.  I've been seeing GTPs and GSes in challenge price range, and it would be tempting to gut one, add nitrous, hope the transmission holds together, and see how well it does.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7NkNWP7k5JoCfYrKa3Gszw0oRXk1gp0VdVwwqLRROyvmm4vph8elEDNZYcMdSu0k