1 2
SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
11/16/16 3:27 p.m.

The 2nd owner of this lovely vehicle said: Mazda 929 S Grey 4 door v6 Dual Cam 106,975 Title no accidents I am the 2nd owner. Bought in 2009 with 57,000 miles on it. Lived in SF Bay Area, never drove a lot. Took off the road 5/2016 because I bought a new car. Car Was shipped over from California. Passed Ma inspection in October 2014 Has one little dent by gas tank. Clean engine, trunk, sunroof, power windows, power seat, air conditioner. Speakers need to be rewired, back work and passenger not driver. Has set of Winter tires and All Season Tires both low miles. Has cassette player. Heat works. I drove it minimally last winter and the high performance Winter tires went through all snow!! I have all paperwork for maintenance. Local mechanic fixed any issues. It is at the mechanics now. You can go view there. Exchange of monies, title and bill of sale will be conducted at the shop. NEEDS new battery and caliper for back right side. Repairs new starter water pump and assembly new radiator timing belt and assembly had winter tune up in 10/2014 new windshield wipers brakes were done in 2015 Thank you!

https://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/cto/5843948025.html

I'm tempted. That is a little bit more than a set of winter tires for my Mazda, and it has winter tires! Were these ones RWD?

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
11/16/16 3:42 p.m.

In reply to SilverFleet:

Yes, I think all 929s are RWD. They shared the platform with the original MPV if memory serves. I would absolutely buy that. Offer $500 and go get it!

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan HalfDork
11/16/16 4:03 p.m.

Never. Pay the seven. Why flirt with ' No soup for you!'

johnnie
johnnie Reader
11/16/16 4:06 p.m.

The hot girl in high school had this car. The heavy Audi-esque door cladding and bumper treatments didn't age so very well, but she's still a looker. Dunno what happened to that high school girl.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
11/16/16 4:13 p.m.

SWMBO responded with a resounding NO!. When I told her it had dual zone climate control, she said "whatever". She did say that if I wanted it to "just buy it and stop talking about it", but I'm getting the vibe that it's not such a good idea.

I'm slowly backing away from this one. I really don't have the time or room for another project right now anyways.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
11/16/16 4:20 p.m.

Speaking of aging and car designs, take a look at a similar year (1990) Mercedes 300E. I didn't pay much attention to them when they were new, but their design was ahead of its time and has held up well IMHO. As of the 929, my dad had one of these for years as his daily. It was a nice car. The later generation 929's look a lot better though.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy PowerDork
11/16/16 4:28 p.m.

I came super close to buying one of these as a crap can racer project a couple of years ago. The interior was trashed, but it had no rust and ran strong. I didn't get because the long lost owner showed up and paid off his labor tab. I would still get one if the price was right.

What are the chances of that one being rust free? If it has no rust, you need to buy it.

Edit, Cali car for $700? I might ride Amtrak up and buy it if it's still around next weekend.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan HalfDork
11/16/16 4:55 p.m.

Y'all flirting with ' No soup for you!'. Just buy it. I would but I no longer have cash flow. Also best disjointed three box design ever, maybe.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/16/16 5:02 p.m.

Same chassis as a Mazda Cosmo. Bolt in a 20b.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor HalfDork
11/16/16 5:04 p.m.

That looks fun. I'm in the same boat though - I'm pretty sure my wife will kill me if I bring home another toy...

markwemple
markwemple UltraDork
11/16/16 5:15 p.m.

Holy crap cheap

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
11/16/16 5:48 p.m.

Those look awesome on rx8 wheels.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
11/16/16 6:34 p.m.

Furious-E should swap in his Crammit bits.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
11/16/16 8:06 p.m.

That looks very rust-free for Boston so I figured it must be driven in the summer only. Then, I see it is wearing genuine winter tires. Contradiction?

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/16/16 11:21 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: Same chassis as a Mazda Cosmo. Bolt in a 20b.

Wait, what? Seriously?

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
11/17/16 12:58 p.m.

I saw this advertisement about a month ago and it was twice the price I think. I would love to get it as I love these cars and was thinking about swapping out the drive train with one from an 89 RX-7 turbo II. Maybe even figure out how to get the manual transmission to work. I have a close friend in the neighborhood and my aunt and uncle live in the same town. I may just have to get this car after all.

Chris

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
11/17/16 1:00 p.m.

Somebody needs to buy that before someone who could give two E36 M3s about what it is, buys it and trashes it.

NickD
NickD Dork
11/17/16 1:43 p.m.
singleslammer wrote: In reply to SilverFleet: Yes, I think all 929s are RWD. They shared the platform with the original MPV if memory serves.

Well, there was the guy that put a VG30DETT in an early MPV, so that means it would fit in this.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
11/17/16 2:02 p.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: I saw this advertisement about a month ago and it was twice the price I think. I would love to get it as I love these cars and was thinking about swapping out the drive train with one from an 89 RX-7 turbo II. Maybe even figure out how to get the manual transmission to work. I have a close friend in the neighborhood and my aunt and uncle live in the same town. I may just have to get this car after all. Chris

DO IT!!!!!!!

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
11/17/16 2:47 p.m.

Wow. I haven't seen one 0f these in a solid decade. I wishave I had 700 bucks and a trailer.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/17/16 7:48 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago wrote:
Brett_Murphy wrote: Same chassis as a Mazda Cosmo. Bolt in a 20b.
Wait, what? Seriously?

Yep. It's not identical, having a boinger engine and being left hand drive, but same chassis/platform. I doubt, for example the suspension is all that different.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/17/16 8:46 p.m.

True purists will hold out for a manual 929. Yes, they are out there...

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
11/18/16 3:16 p.m.

Radio silence form the CL seller. I know I texted with them a while back, but don't have the number anymore. I have a friend willing to go see it for me, but have no way of knowing where it is.

mfvmx
mfvmx GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/18/16 4:29 p.m.

This could go far with a swap in chumpcar, like 20gal gas tank far. Also throw on FC brakes and rear end.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
11/19/16 8:24 p.m.
SilverFleet wrote: She did say that if I wanted it to "just buy it and stop talking about it",

She and my wife must be friends or something, because I hear that line all the time....

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ei1pJbxDN5yxfOTo6yednpIPTxWPeP1e5JMau9tdGN63tWyJ53skCsCcRnpPuQQx