1 2
Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/19/15 9:49 p.m.

SOLD

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/20/15 10:44 a.m.

Have to admit that the spare engines are reaaaaaally tempting- if the D's PRV ever bites it a rotary engine would be at the top of my list to engineer putting in its place. Unfortunately it's far enough away to not be practical and despite having a bigger garage I still don't have a huge amount of space to store spare engines.

I had the same problem with the coolant seals in junkyard engine that was in my FC3C for several years, it was what eventually got me off my ass to rebuild its original engine. Was generally fine for driving around town for short hops, but more than that and I'd be risking the coolant all getting blown out the overflow tank...

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired Reader
8/20/15 10:54 a.m.

Man I really want one of these

Skervey
Skervey Reader
8/20/15 3:45 p.m.

Hey Brett_Murphy im over in Charlotte and wanted to see if you would let the turbo 2 rear end and Tokiko's go?

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/20/15 5:32 p.m.

If you're willing to split things up and ship them, I'm interested in the good S5 engine and the S4 limited slip. Also the Tokicos if Skervey passes on them.

Brett_Murphy
8/20/15 10:45 p.m.

I'm hoping somebody wants everything and shows up with a trailer and takes one or more of the cars away.

If there is no movement, I'll probably keep the GXL and sell parts but that isn't the plan right now.

Brett_Murphy
8/26/15 1:27 p.m.

The ad now has pictures!

I'm also more willing to part out that TII shell if people can pick up the parts, I just don't want to ship a trasmission or anything.

fidelity101
fidelity101 SuperDork
8/26/15 10:16 p.m.

phone is niner wun niner fow-er wun too niner niner fow-er too

loving this.

Do you have a power steering rack? the 2 port/s4/15.2:1? can I buy that off you? I'll even pay you to depower it if you want to.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
8/27/15 6:11 a.m.

Heavily interested in one of these. Not sure which. Which one would be better to swap a S5 TII drive train into?

Brett_Murphy
8/27/15 8:52 a.m.

Steering rack in the turbo car is non-power. Also, thanks for posting my phone number, because I just realized it is WRONG. I was wondering why I hadn't heard much about the car.

Mazdax605 It's a tough call on that. Shoot me a meesage.

fidelity101
fidelity101 SuperDork
8/27/15 9:13 a.m.

dang

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
8/27/15 10:11 a.m.

Do you second generation guys know if the 90 na wiring harness will allow for a turbo motor to be easily added, or is it a total re-harness?

Ashyukun
8/27/15 10:32 a.m.

What I remember from my limited looking into it was that there were a few changes that needed to be made to the NA harness because a few wires did different things (something about a steering sensor on the NA being the knock sensor on the turbo so turning the wheel would retard your timing...) but that it didn't require getting an entirely different harness.

fidelity101
fidelity101 SuperDork
8/27/15 11:48 a.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: Do you second generation guys know if the 90 na wiring harness will allow for a turbo motor to be easily added, or is it a total re-harness?

the engine harness is unique between the two, the location of some of components is different so would need to extend wires and change connectors and etc. I don't think its commonly done.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
8/27/15 12:38 p.m.

So is it better to figure in a complete removal of the harness on the TII my friend has and installing it in the gxl chassis along with the engine?

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/27/15 2:13 p.m.

In reply to Mazdax605:

Yes. Removing the engine and harness is VERY easy. The engine harness disconnects from teh computer and 2 or 3 other plugs and then the entire thing gets pulled through the firewall. Very easy.

Actually, run the NA harness. There are like 2 wires you need to change IIRC.

Ashyukun
8/27/15 3:39 p.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote: In reply to Mazdax605: Yes. Removing the engine and harness is VERY easy. The engine harness disconnects from teh computer and 2 or 3 other plugs and then the entire thing gets pulled through the firewall. Very easy. Actually, run the NA harness. There are like 2 wires you need to change IIRC.

That's what I seem to remember being the case... Going from S4 NA to S4 Turbo or S5 NA to S5 Turbo was fairly easy, it was going between S4 to S5 in any fashion that was a lot more work.

Brett_Murphy
8/27/15 7:37 p.m.

Two people can remove an NA engine and transmission in two hours without rushing at all, if the car isn't rusty. That includes getting the tools out.

If you're doing a swap, look up how to simplify the vac lines and replace EVERY SINGLE ONE ON THE CAR.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
8/28/15 5:29 a.m.

It's been a while since I pulled a second generation engine, but you are probably right. If I remember correctly the biggest pain is the wiring. I can probably pull the engine in my 79 by myself in less than two hours. But that engine is a lot more simple than a second generation car.

Brett_Murphy
9/8/15 2:55 p.m.

The Turbo shell might go under the wrench this weekend and get stripped of what is left of the drivetrain, the wheels, the suspension and some other bits (like the door handles and some seals). If that happens, it might wind up being nearly free. If somebody shows up with wheels, tires and a suspension and wants to haul it off, it will be free.

scottdownsouth
scottdownsouth Reader
9/9/15 8:42 p.m.

Can I get some pictures of the soon to be shell ? I'm not to far away and dumb enough to want it.

jcrosby
jcrosby
9/18/15 10:21 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy:

Either of the engines still available?

Brett_Murphy
9/18/15 10:29 p.m.

The shell might actually be sold. I won't know until Sunday.

The engines may also be sold.

I'll update the post next week.

Brett_Murphy
9/21/15 9:25 a.m.

Turbo parts car is sold. I'd prefer to sell the entire package for $2000, though now I am seriously considering a V8 swap.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/21/15 2:29 p.m.

DANG IT!!!! I was just going to ask about the Turbo car.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
d76dGmTnySw8ZtUXQhiVc2BeGFKkmNks0oV7mFenFOHlH6sH1eMZF3uwnvtgX3ij