Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
12/6/13 6:55 a.m.

I can't remember the last time I saw one of these. They were unicorns even when they were sold new. Hit the market just after the Tracker did. They were sold alongside the Charade...I haven't seen one of those for a really long time either. I think the company left the US after 2 years tops.

http://allentown.craigslist.org/cto/4229966718.html

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
12/6/13 7:10 a.m.

Out of curiosity, I went over to Rock Auto and was surprised how much is still available for the Rocky. You can still get brake pads, rotors, drums as well as shocks and wheel bearings. Also, clutch, water pump, etc.

ValuePack
ValuePack SuperDork
12/6/13 4:46 p.m.

Oddly enough, I probably still see one Rocky a year. Haven't seen a Charade in probably a decade, though.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/6/13 5:10 p.m.

I don't think they were even sold on the East Coast. I've only seen a couple of them.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/6/13 5:27 p.m.

Yeah I've seen VERY few since we left California.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
12/6/13 6:04 p.m.

I forgot Daihatsu was ever a thing here.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy SuperDork
12/7/13 11:53 a.m.

I suspect there was a dealer in FLA too, when I was going to school in Daytona in the early nineties, a saw Charades regularly, and more than one Rocky.

I'm not going to lie, I kind of like the Rocky.

Weren't they built from a lot of Toyota parts? Wasn't there also another version of the Rocky that had a different name?

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/7/13 12:17 p.m.

I believe Daihatsu is a budget-oriented Toyota subsidiary. I used to see the odd Charade around town but it has been a long time.

ShadowSix
ShadowSix Dork
12/7/13 12:22 p.m.

In reply to SlickDizzy:

Daihatsu was purchased by Toyota in the late '90's so this might have a close relationship to some old Toyotas, but it was built before the acquisition happened.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
12/7/13 11:03 p.m.

I've seen half a dozen Charades and maybe 2 Rockies in my life, and I live on the east coast.

mistanfo
mistanfo UltraDork
12/8/13 9:33 a.m.

I've seen a number of Daihatsus, but they were all in Ontario, Canada. Not sure that I have seen a single one in the States.

AquaHusky
AquaHusky Reader
12/9/13 12:44 a.m.

Werent these all a bit overpriced when new, thus hurting sales? Like they were trying to class these as some sort of luxury vehicles?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/9/13 9:21 a.m.

IIRC, they are pretty bulletproof.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
12/9/13 9:31 a.m.

I was just looking at this locally after reading the "giving up racing' thread

$1500 Rocky with Hard Top

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PAx7V1DbUhWQ98qUW6MeulSowyth96Qxaclk3WNexij7xFkvJSSakOag2nwD9hyP