artur1808
artur1808 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/27/16 6:55 p.m.

This trip happened last week so it's not exactly a "follow along as it happens" type of thread, but there was a car involved, and Norway is full of amazing scenery that I think you folks might appreciate. Also, I just got home from traveling last night and haven't slept much in the last week so there are probably going to be lots of spelling/grammatical errors. Buckle up.

The plan was to fly out on a Friday afternoon, arrive in Bergen Saturday morning, slowly work my way to Oslo by Monday night, and fly out on Tuesday morning to visit family the rest of the week. Visiting family was the real reason I took a week off work, but Norway seemed like a worthwhile detour. Spoiler alert: it definitely was.

Day 1: Bergen to Odda.

Got no sleep on the plane, already awake for 22 hours at the start of the day. Not exactly fresh. Anyway, I explored Bergen and took a few photos. Everyone in Norway is very friendly from my experience.

photo DSC_0836.jpg

photo DSC_0867.jpg

photo DSC_0862.jpg

Once I had enough. Right away, I noticed that I was stopping way too often to take pictures of the view along the way and would have no chance of getting to Oslo if I kept it up. But it was hard to resist:

photo DSC_0883_1.jpg

First stop was Vøringsfossen. I had seen some waterfalls before, but this was something else. Over a 500ft drop.

photo DSC_0942_1.jpg

You can see the road running along the left side of the valley in this photo:

photo DSC_0934.jpg

OBLIGATORY CAR CONTENT: The roads in Norway are incredible. Neverending curves and, for the most part, very smooth. The only downside being the posted speed limits; the highest I saw in the first two days was 70kph. However, there are many instances where there is a sign saying the speed limit ends and no more signs posted. I assume there is some accepted standard that you aren't supposed to exceed in these zones, but I decided to play dumb and push the Audi a bit.

photo DSC_0921.jpg

The other thing worth noting is that the roads get quite narrow sometimes:

photo Snapchat-4685834241310793811-1.jpg

This would be fine if it traffic was only going one direction, but that was not the case. Many pucker moments were had when cars came the other way.

Anyway, back to the story. My overnight stop on the first day was Odda, and there is a glacier with a hiking trail leading up to it nearby, so I decided to give it a shot. I get to the trailhead and set off around 7:30pm. Seemed a bit late, but I knew it wouldn't be dark for a while so I went for it.

photo DSC_0965.jpg

photo DSC_0971.jpg

photo DSC_0993.jpg

I was really hoping to cross "touch a glacier" off of my bucket list, but this downed bridge kept me from crossing the stream.

photo DSC_0979.jpg

Despite not being able to touch the actual glacier, I drank some glacial water from the stream and enjoyed the view for a while.

photo DSC_0990.jpg

photo DSC_0984.jpg

SIDE NOTE: the Norwegians really have this whole "house with a view" thing figured out:

photo DSC_0954_1.jpg

84FSP
84FSP Dork
6/28/16 5:59 a.m.

WOW - amazing scenery there. Supposed to be really great people as well. Have any crazy food while you were there?

artur1808
6/28/16 6:17 a.m.

I'd say the only thing particularly noteworthy that I ate was some reindeer (Caribou) meat. The fish and seafood selection was huge, but I've never been big on seafood so I didn't get too adventurous there.

BMWGeoff
BMWGeoff GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/28/16 6:50 a.m.

Love Norway. I work for a company based there and got to visit for the first time in March. Between the scenery, people and everything else, it is not to be missed.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
6/28/16 7:39 a.m.

I spent a couple days in Bergen while we were in port to have our under ice sonar fixed back in 1998 or so. Beautiful place and nice people.

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/28/16 4:04 p.m.

Beautiful. We flew into Oslo and rented our Volvo wagon (stick!!) when we were there a few years ago. We headed down to the Swedish coast and then across the country and flew out of Stockholm. Would go back in a heartbeat.

artur1808
6/29/16 6:30 a.m.

Totally agree, the amount of spectacular views you can see without even leaving your car is impressive. To those of you that have gone in the past, has anyone been farther north than Bergen? I definitely want to make another trip back and would like to venture north a bit.

Also, I experienced my first ever underground roundabout in Norway. Unfortunately I didn't manage to take any pictures where the two tunnels met, but it will now be known as an "undergroundabout"

bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
6/29/16 7:01 a.m.

I would love to go to Norway. I've been reading Karl Ove Knaussgard's memoir of growing up in Kristiansand, and it's very evocative. Seems like a beautiful place - your photos are great. Thanks for sharing.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
6/29/16 8:19 a.m.

In reply to artur1808:

I've been up around Svarlbard and Franz Josef Land, but I was under the ice not on land. Didn't see much when we surfaced other than some seals and lots and lots of ice, but I've not been anywhere else in Norway other than Bergen.

The Hood Canal in WA reminds me a bit of Norway for those that want some nice views but not the trans Atlantic travel.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/30/16 6:21 p.m.

Beautiful. Looks similar to parts of the PNW and AK. A short flight to Anchorage and you can get that "touch a glacier" bit checked off your list.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/23/16 8:08 p.m.

It looks like you had a great trip. BTW, "house with a view" just became my desktop picture... Thank you

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YOSunrbLvXKqxoAnc6M2z2ZLITqGLPVlPKTgU3oEnS7WIO9hMCheCkfMPAKdnjtX