1 2 3
ToxicTurtl3
ToxicTurtl3 New Reader
4/12/15 9:11 p.m.

OK, so I found a 1960 Mercedes 180D on Craigslist that doesn't run. It has been garaged for 20 years. So I know I would have to clean up the fuel-system, and change out most of the rubber parts on the engine and other places, and fix the rust spots. But what would you guys think is wrong with the car, and how much money would you guys project it would cost to fix this car?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/4971532704.html

Thanks

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Dork
4/12/15 9:52 p.m.

Heck if I know but I want that Porsche next to it.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/12/15 9:57 p.m.

Naturally, I noticed the Porsche too, but I think that Mercedes could be a smart buy at $1000.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Dork
4/12/15 10:03 p.m.
Woody wrote: Naturally, I noticed the Porsche too, but I think that Mercedes could be a smart buy at $1000.

Hey, it could be a $1000 too. You never know.

ToxicTurtl3
ToxicTurtl3 New Reader
4/13/15 12:36 a.m.

In reply to Sine_Qua_Non:

Lol, maybe I should ask how much he wants for the Porsche.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
4/13/15 5:25 a.m.

That looks like a great project! I could lose many hours tinkering with that baby!

Worst thing'd be rust but that doesn't seem to be an issue with her!

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
4/13/15 6:30 a.m.

Nice old car.

"What do we think is wrong with it?

Well, its rust free supposedly, so that is off the list. and it does look fairly solid.

Why did it get parked? It is a diesel and Mercedes had a mechanical FI pump that gets $$$.

I guess that is the next item, parts for this car: Have you looked around for a source and an idea of what gets expensive? The good news is that the car looks complete.

When you say "Restore" I get the feeling that you are more talking about getting it drivable and clean it up. You seem to have a handle on the basics for that program.

Lord help you if you decide to do a full bare frame or shell restoration. That thing would eat $60k and ask for more.

theenico
theenico Reader
4/13/15 9:37 a.m.

Definitely ask about the 911 next to it. Based on what I can see (d-side mirror and rear bumper), That's either a '74 or '75. Those mid-year 2.7 liter cars still haven't gotten totally out of hand like the other 911's have recently.

SEADave
SEADave HalfDork
4/13/15 10:06 a.m.

Good idea for someone, but bad idea for the OP's first car.

Toxic, I appreciate that you like the older European stuff. My first car was old and unusual and nothing like what the other kids drove. But an old Mercedes that hasn't driven for 20 years could take THOUSANDS of dollars just to get road worthy, let alone "restored."

Between this and your "first car" thread, I would get back to the idea of an old BMW E30. Find one that already runs, even if it is a little scruffy, and just fix stuff as it comes up.

My other thought is to look at older Japanese stuff, like Celica's, Supra's, 280ZX's, etc. from the 80's. This is stuff you can still find parts for in the Pic N Pull, which makes life a lot easier.

mike
mike New Reader
4/13/15 10:26 a.m.

Check out this site, poke around & ask a few questions

mike
mike New Reader
4/13/15 10:27 a.m.

Check out this site, poke around & ask a few questions

https://www.youtube.com/user/Mercedessource

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
4/13/15 10:43 a.m.

Buy it, and drop in a known running engine. If you want to stick MB and oil burner, 240D drivetrains are almost free. Or pretty much any longitudinally mounted drivetrain would probably be fine. A domestic small block would be superb!

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/13/15 12:20 p.m.

Why was it parked?

These old MBs are super simple, and parts are still available (but not necessarily cheap). The price seems reasonable.

The diesel forum at peachparts.com is an excellent resource

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
4/13/15 12:47 p.m.

It's probably been too slow to drive in any sort of traffic for the last 20 years. A 240D engine and 4 speed stick (bonus points if you keep the column shifter) would probably fix that problem.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
4/13/15 1:31 p.m.

55 hp stock...a 240D would give you 68 ponies- over 20% more!

Dave
Dave New Reader
4/13/15 2:11 p.m.

Looks like a solid car. Myself I'd be tempted to pop in a motor from a small pickup. A Toyota 22R or similar.

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones HalfDork
4/13/15 2:57 p.m.

Are you local? Mill Creek is about 10 minutes from where I work.

ToxicTurtl3
ToxicTurtl3 New Reader
4/13/15 3:59 p.m.

In reply to Kendall_Jones:

Ya I live up in the Bellingham area

ToxicTurtl3
ToxicTurtl3 New Reader
4/13/15 4:06 p.m.

In reply to Kenny_McCormic:

I'm definitely keeping the colunm shifter. And ok I'm gunna talk to a mechanic friend in a few days and see what he says as about the whole thing. Really it's just convincing my parents to let me buy the car!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/13/15 6:47 p.m.

I have no experience with these things, but it strikes me as the kind of car where you could disassemble stuff, clean the crap out of it, reassemble and drive.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
4/13/15 6:58 p.m.

Wait, this is a first car?

You would have to be an exceptional 16 year old to pull this one off. Not saying you are not, just saying.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/13/15 6:58 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

Yep, if it ran when parked.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
4/13/15 7:22 p.m.

Gonna agree with everyone else, unless you have deep pockets and a good mechanic. Or a lot of skills, knowledgeable friends/family and time to learn you are better off starting with a known running car. The MB is cool but starting from unknown can be daunting even for a seasoned mechanic.

You could get lucky and a clean, lube, fresh fuel and its off and running, or you could end up with a money pit that will inevitably end up as an unfinished project sold for pennies on the dollar.

ToxicTurtl3
ToxicTurtl3 New Reader
4/13/15 10:27 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

What do u mean "exceptional"? like an awesome kid, or really good at mechanic crap or what? (I'm not mad, just clarifying)

ToxicTurtl3
ToxicTurtl3 New Reader
4/13/15 10:44 p.m.

In reply to JThw8:

I under stand that the car could go either way with the money pit or not and that it could and probably would end up as an unfinished project. But I know one mechanic guy that probably help me (I would have to pay, but he or his crew would probably help me).

Like everyone has said, the MB is very cool but, I think I'll probably end up with a VW Bug, VW Bus (If I find a nice one, and I'm lucky), or some kind of BMW that I can tinker on in my free time.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bdjrZGzvAqTEE3gmuiQhfZZpMYXKyXmEUkuBMFDS16vwe7HyZGzR0sXuuZwe8Ezt