1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 74
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
8/18/17 9:53 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

If you prep it as a rally raid/desert race support truck, let me know the moment you make that decision so I can start prepping a vintage class Scout for the Mexican 1000. We can run as International's 1967 team, and hopefully get backing from... I don't know, perhaps a Classic or Grassroots racing publication.

I am completely serious about this.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/18/17 9:57 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: The first official Baja 1000 was October 31, 1967. I can't find any evidence (yet) that International ever had a factory presence, but people certainly have raced Scouts over the years. On the other side of the Atlantic, some crazy French dudes raced from Paris to Dakar starting in 1979. This race was much larger in scope and competing teams and support staff used large off-road trucks to follow the event from the beginning. Though they didn't officially compete that first year, you can't send a group of guys on a point to point course without them wanting to see who gets there first. By the second year there was a class for the heavy trucks. One of the first things I thought of when I saw the cabover was "what if?". What if something like the Dakar had started in the mid 60's? What if International competed in Scouts at the factory level? What if they needed support trucks? What if those support truck drivers wanted to race, just a bit?

I cannot endorse this line of thought strongly enough!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
8/18/17 10:01 a.m.

As much as I love bags and low, i approve of this line of thinking. This is going to be fun.

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Reader
8/18/17 10:29 a.m.

I love reading a good Deuce thread, and I'm excited to see you get it up and running with the stock stuff (if possible) before you go all crazy with it.

I was also wandering aimlessly through middle America (Wisconsin, precisely) on my honeymoon the same week this thing was getting brought home. I wonder how close we were to crossing paths.

Anyway keep up the good work and the good writing- it really is inspirational, on a 'work with what you have and enjoy it' level which is something I can always use more of. Maybe I'll spend some time in my mini-grosh working on my small truck tonight.

FunkyCricket
FunkyCricket New Reader
8/18/17 10:29 a.m.

my favorite part of dakaar is the trucks. Cab overs getting 10 Ft of air in the desert. Nothing better. Though, really, a bagged and dragged COE would be sweet too.

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
8/18/17 11:12 a.m.

That is undeniably majestic.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
8/18/17 11:25 a.m.

I wonder how much just the cab weighs, and how it would look on a Hummer H1 chassis?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
8/18/17 11:49 a.m.

Mrs. Duece is taking the day off so we can hang out. Unfortunately engine disassembly isn't on our "romantic day" list. She does have a sort of work breakfast first, so lets's see what I can get done.
Valve covers off. We may have moisture issues. Exactly how much rust is acceptable on a cam in block engine? Off with the valvetrain, organized in the only way I know how. I decided pulling the exhaust off the manifolds was easier than pulling the manifolds off the heads, so I did that. Clearance for wrenches in the 60's was different. I'm also kicking myself for not sweeping the concrete before I started. I kind of thought I'd be driving around by now.
Water pump is off, you can see the cardboard I dragged out to work on. Guys spends three years building a garage. Works outside.
The last thing I need to take off before I pull the heads is the valley cover. I need my good old fashioned hammer impact if I want to get the screws out. My hammer impact is dead. Now I need to convince Mrs. Deuce that a trip to the new Harbor Freight would be suuuuuuuper romantic. Oh, and the distributor doesn't really want to move. I kind of need it to move so I can get at one of the screws for the valley cover. I don't really want to bash it with a hammer. Any advice?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
8/18/17 12:03 p.m.

In reply to ¯_(ツ)_/¯:

Well, I've only had it for a week, and the more I touch it the more broken it seems. Once it's running and driving I'll start to refine the direction the build will take. Right now I just have a vision.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/18/17 12:04 p.m.

It's a parking lot sale weekend at harbor freight, pack a picnic basket and have lunch in the parking lot?

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
8/18/17 12:11 p.m.

try a good soaking in pb blaster - or acetone and trans fluid mix. At this point you pretty much know it's a full tear-down, and rebuild. I'm all for watching the process, but it may be cheaper and faster to find a running donor. Never realized the dakar truck rear body is a fabric cover. Oh, you can often find unimog or volvo portal axles for sale in the pirate website.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
8/18/17 12:23 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

I know, but when that refined direction starts to include sand dunes and knobbly tires please give me a call

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
8/18/17 12:24 p.m.

In reply to oldtin:

It's going all the way down for sure. It probably makes more sense to find a running (or at least rotating) motor and start with that, but this is sitting in front of me and it has to come out. Might as well learn what I can.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/18/17 12:44 p.m.

It looks like an International would run in Class M at Baja and one of the Dakar Ivecos ran in the Baja 500 a few years ago. Not that I've done any looking into it or the Mexican 1000w

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
8/18/17 1:45 p.m.

Something tells me at least one piston, and probably most or all, will require air tools to remove...

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
8/18/17 2:14 p.m.
pres589 wrote: Something tells me at least one piston, and probably most or all, will require a TORCH to remove...

Fixed

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
8/18/17 2:35 p.m.

You could try some heat on it, if you have a torch (and after cleaning off the grease so it doesn't go up in flames.) If you have an oil filter wrench you could try that, if it will fit around the distributor body.

Interesting engine - the valley cover looks like a Pontiac, the valve covers look like a Mopar poly 318 engine from the 1950s.

efahl
efahl New Reader
8/18/17 4:00 p.m.
2002maniac wrote: Something tells me at least one piston, and probably most or all, will require a bazooka to remove...

Fixeder

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
8/18/17 5:19 p.m.

What do I win if I save this engine?

hhaase
hhaase HalfDork
8/18/17 5:31 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: What do I win if I save this engine?

Another project?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
8/18/17 5:32 p.m.

While I was underneath messing with the exhaust this morning I saw this. Apparently exhaust makes a nice home. [URL=http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/mazdeuce/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20170818_090622_zps5c1p200d.jpg.html] One head off. No bad really. We'll see how the it cleans up. Cylinders are less good. I see a dingleberry hone in my future. Those are some weird pistons.

barefootskater
barefootskater New Reader
8/18/17 6:16 p.m.

Those do look crusty. But I've rescued worse and I'm a total hack. You can do it.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
8/18/17 6:37 p.m.

I'm pretty sure the pistons are supposed to be flat top.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
8/18/17 7:01 p.m.

They have a huge weird ass dish. I'll try to get a better picture, but I have no idea what's they're about. I've never seen anything like them.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
8/18/17 8:08 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: What do I win if I save this engine?

Me thinks a plotline has been writ!

So much of what makes life interesting is not wise, so I say go for it.

1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 74

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QkZhuLitSmm2Di9a6PxqqWeMoeX1LpSw8wxqMGkq68wuxNSAbhlSQJGMSW69R2fa