1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 ... 74
LSxDreamer
LSxDreamer New Reader
9/20/17 7:33 p.m.

Here I was going to be all "oh looky here" and share a pic of the package received today but since no one else is.... Thanks again deuce, shirt and stickers look great!  One sticker may land on my work laptop and I'll take a neat pic of it for your collection :)

96extcab
96extcab New Reader
9/20/17 7:43 p.m.

MD - I told myself I couldn't post until I made it to the end of the thread.  I've lurked through the Grosh, a couple 1laps, the R63, Fergus, the Vagon...and now Ferdinand.  I couldn't hold back when I realized you and I have some similarities...not in writing style, occupation, general demeanor..but in an odd pairing of vehicles. 

Who else is out of their gourd enough to have a 911, and a mid-60s International COE? We've had the truck for a few years, and it's been on a perpetual backburner.  I'd be remiss to not mention that I've honestly found your writing to be an inspiration and motivator.  After all, these things are just put together by men with some tools, right?  I look forward to following along through the rest of the build, and hope I get that stubby little truck (seriously, it's a 90" wheelbase!) running in the near future too.

mikedd969
mikedd969 New Reader
9/20/17 7:52 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce :

Email sent, and thanks so much!!

DuuDutch
DuuDutch New Reader
9/20/17 8:38 p.m.

Poor Fergus, all alone and no one to love her. I never thought a COE would be interesting other than the novelty of a tilting cab. Thank you for sharing your storytelling gift with the rest of us. If there's a spare XL shirt or possibly email the design so Mrs. D can have fun with her Silhouette and iron-press-tshirt-thing too would be awesome. 

2500_Cummins_Ram
2500_Cummins_Ram New Reader
9/20/17 9:41 p.m.

Shirt and stickers received in the mail today. I like that you used your screen name for the sender name on the package label, I immediately knew what it was. Thank you again!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
9/21/17 7:22 a.m.

In reply to 96extcab :

I'm blown away that any two people in the world own both an 911 AND an International cabover. We should hang out. Was your truck chopped down even more than mine? What is the bed on it? I'd love more pictures, I'm forgetting what these look like assembled and I'm happy to see what the bumper line is supposed to look like without the spacers mine has. Looks nice. 

In reply to DuuDutch :

I'll get back to Fergus. In fact the more I work on the truck the more accessable the problems on Fergus seem and the more likely it is that he will be the next major project. I think old trucks like this are interesting in what they show us about different ways of thinking. It's easy to get stuck in a rut in your thinking about how things "should" be done. There is far more convergence in automotive thought today than there was 50 years ago. Maybe that convergence is because there really is a better way, but the variability is interesting. 

Norma66
Norma66 New Reader
9/21/17 8:35 a.m.

I'm excited to see this project keep progressing. But I'm also excited if you get back to Fergus! Love to hear that FE rumble!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/21/17 10:45 a.m.

When I was a kid, one of my aunts/uncles had an Airstream they pulled with a 1970 Mercury Monterey wagon, white with brown guts, 390/auto.  Dad bought the wagon from them in '75 and I spent 2 summer vacation road-trips in the side-facing jump seats.  I have no idea where the luggage was, because we had 7 people in the car.  Anyway, I'd love to see photos of Fergus pulling the Airstream to a cars and coffee.  Or in the campground of a National Park somewhere, someday.

corybrown50
corybrown50 New Reader
9/21/17 11:42 a.m.

SWEET!!! I now have a nice clean shirt to wear to deer camp this weekend!!!

Thank you Mr and Mrs Deuce

Cadman5
Cadman5 New Reader
9/21/17 1:21 p.m.

TTWO (in deer camp) = Think Twice, Weapon Once?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
9/21/17 1:36 p.m.

In reply to corybrown50 :

It's still hot enough down here that I forget that it's time (or nearly time) for bow season. I miss seasons.  

With no fear of excessive brake dive due to towing with a boom rig, I got out a cutting disk and a hammer and removed the springs. 

These next two pictures are boring, but it's what they don't show that's important. 

I pulled the hard brake lines. I just couldn't see myself reassembling everything around 50 year old single channel brakes. I'm not sure what's going to change, but at a minimum the old crusty lines, both metal and rubber, have to be replaced. I'd like to find a remote booster that is double circuit to start with and go from there. I've made brake lines before, just not ones that don't leak. I think I can do this. 

But at the back of my mind is a thought........ "I don't have to put ANY of that back." 
I can put any braking system I can think of. Any motor. It's a cab, a frame, steering gear and axles. Every option is open. Every one. 

Nash
Nash New Reader
9/21/17 2:11 p.m.

Before I forget here is some more motivation from Mattracks in Karlstad, MN!

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/21/17 2:12 p.m.

Are those coils some sort of helper spring? I thought it was all leafs.

Bill Mesker
Bill Mesker New Reader
9/21/17 2:37 p.m.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qbdjx24sr9kiw2f/20170921_150318.jpg?dl=0

Stickers and shirt came in today so the first set went on my laptop! The second will go on my car whenever I get it haha

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/21/17 2:38 p.m.
mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
9/21/17 2:40 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

The best theory proposed is that they were likely installed to deal with brake dive associated with a boom type tow rig and having a car on the hook when braking hard. I don't have any personal experience with that, but it's a better theory than anything I came up with. If it squats too much in front I'll add airbags. 

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
9/21/17 2:41 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

Purchasing that sort of solution would be very easy. It's tempting. 

corybrown50
corybrown50 New Reader
9/21/17 2:52 p.m.

Thanks Maz...you're welcome any time to come up here to Ohio. Season starts next week....party/fundraiser for Whitetails Unlimited and Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry this weekend to set it off. 

Aim twice...shoot once....

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/21/17 2:58 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce :

Plus a rowdy Big Block totally fits with the truck. You may also do a big block with a roots blower, but GM doesn't offer that as a crate engine.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
9/21/17 3:01 p.m.

In reply to corybrown50 :

I spent every Friday/Sat/Sun from October 1 until January 1 in either a tree stand or a deer blind from 12-24 years old. And then there was turkey season in the spring. Hunting down here is primarily sitting over a feeder. The feeder spins out corn half an hour before dark, deer walk in, and you shoot them. It's not like hunting the big woods of the UP or even natural movements around farm fields in southern MI/OH/IN. I just never got into it down here. There is something special about watching deer over months and years and learning how and when they move. 

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
9/21/17 3:07 p.m.

I'd bet even without the coils in there it will still be uncomfortably stiff without a literal ton of weight on the back. 

There's no harm in removing them. Even if they are needed, or rather especially if they are needed, a better solution is probably in order. 

What kind of diameter are they? The actual rod, not the overall coil. There's a lot of hand forged tools to be made from them me thinks. 

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
9/21/17 3:13 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

It's not that I can't spend $20k on a motor, it's just that even thinking about it makes me feel very uncomfortable. I need brakes. Brake decisions might mean that I need to make axle decisions. Every decision carries $ symbols. It would be VERY easy to spend $50k. Or it would be easy to spend $1k and put it back together pretty much like I found it, but working. Would the $50k version be $49k more fun? Will I tear the $1k version back apart anyway?  

Bit of an existential crisis. 

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
9/21/17 3:14 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce :

I don't even see how they can call it hunting. 

It's hardly more than trapping IMO. Especially in the high fence places. 

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
9/21/17 3:26 p.m.

In reply to Crackers :

I have friends with high fence ranches. It's different. They get together with their friends and hang out and sit in blinds and shoot deer. It's not wrong, just different. Not something I want to put time and money into like I did with the big woods as a kid. I'd rather autocross. 

corybrown50
corybrown50 New Reader
9/21/17 3:59 p.m.

Well, if you get the bug, feel free to head up here. All archery, all fair chase....stand or stalk, whatever the flavor. 

1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 ... 74

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2YeANexGmuj4CUbyDm9Ov1RCKDwfltSgjPk98LkcFZdFWwBdPNOcH8oZ7f6YisDo