1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 ... 74
NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
9/21/17 4:28 p.m.

If the drivetrain is open to new interpretation, then I have a hard time seeing how you could go wrong with a 5.3 LS? It is a truck motor and it will come with an automatic truck transmission that is geared for a truck.

If anything, the only drawback is that it might be too easy.

So I will then propose the Ford Triton family, cause it has 10 cylinders and is "More" not always more goodly?

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
9/21/17 4:49 p.m.

I vote 6BT. Why? They're like 4 grand so why not?

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
9/21/17 4:54 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce :

I don't mean to imply there's anything wrong with it. I've spent time in deer blinds myself, just can't understand the draw. 

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
9/21/17 4:55 p.m.

The 8100 Allison combo would be excellent. I've driven it in a pickup and I can't say enough good things about it. Also affordable because a regular LS is better in cars. PTO is available for the Allison too. Any engine that can be fairly self contained works, and can be swapped out whole in the future if I ever want to be more interesting. 

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
9/21/17 6:38 p.m.

IH did have that 605ci v8....

Since corvair engines rotate backwards from everything else, could you set the engine(s) back a bit and put a corvair powerflide hooked to the front of the engine driving the front wheels and whatever driving the rear? Just wondering...

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
9/21/17 7:38 p.m.

got my shirt and stickers today.

I think I'll rock the shirt to the hospital while my youngest gets tubes in his ears tomorrow.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/21/17 7:48 p.m.

There are other interesting and gnarly options that don’t cost 19 grand, I would shy away from the 6BT because while tough and neat, it is gutless in terms of unmodified driving around town. 

GMC v12?

any domestic big block crate motor with suitable pistons and a giant blower would be my pick. 

Cadman5
Cadman5 New Reader
9/21/17 7:54 p.m.

Isn't the obvious choice a twin to the R63 engine? mazdeuce already knows how to work on it, and it helped create his internet fame!! [ducks and runs for the door]

mikedd969
mikedd969 New Reader
9/21/17 8:09 p.m.

How about an old "Super Duty" Ford 532ci (8.8l) from the 60's?  

It'd be an unusual choice, still a gas V8 and should have all the torque you'd ever need for Ferdinand.  Plus they tend to run forever.....

Used to drive an old farm truck at a teenager hauling corn in from the field that had one with a 4-speed.  No mufflers, no sound (or heat) insulation in July and August in Kentucky.....loud and hot as hell.  But even overloaded with corn, it never lacked for power.  Good times.......

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
9/21/17 8:17 p.m.
Cadman5 said:

Isn't the obvious choice a twin to the R63 engine? mazdeuce already knows how to work on it, and it helped create his internet fame!! [ducks and runs for the door]

$5k for a pre headbolt fix junkyard motor, another $3k in bolts and lifters and seals (I know that part) transmission is easy, but the electronics would be a bit of pain. It has crossed my mind along with a Jaguar V12, and who among us hasn't been looking at flood damaged Lamborghinis recently? 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
9/21/17 8:23 p.m.

Got my shirt. And stickers! Thanks, man.

Personally, i have to vote big block mopar. With a six pack. Because it already has a lift off cab, much like the super bee lift off hood.

And im a mopar guy. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 Reader
9/21/17 8:24 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce :

Sure, lambo motors are neat, but in a cab-over? That thing needs a thumper...

A Ford 300ci I-6 would be a neat one, plus, y'know, turbo...

And if you straight pipe it, it'll sound like a UPS Truck going Mach 5!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/21/17 8:45 p.m.

TherealAJ
TherealAJ New Reader
9/21/17 9:02 p.m.

Shirt and stickers came today! I'm saving the shirt for the weekends car show but the first sticker went on the top of my upper toolbox at eye level. It'll be a perfect reminder to ttwo. Gotta make room on the work bench for a coffee maker.

Thanks mazdeuce and Mrs. Deuce whom I had the pleasure to meet (by email) at 5:00 am yesterday.

As to all these repower suggestions , let me cast my vote for rebuild Ferdinand's original engine and trans, upgrade the brakes and see what ya think. You can always get a crate motor but what fun would that be?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
9/21/17 9:39 p.m.
TherealAJ said:

As to all these repower suggestions , let me cast my vote for rebuild Ferdinand's original engine and trans, upgrade the brakes and see what ya think. You can always get a crate motor but what fun would that be?

I think you're right. That 304 deserves a chance, and I've never assembled an engine before, not really, so this is a good time to try.  

To everyone with a shirt: 

I'm glad you like them. You know how sometimes you go to a car show and you see 'that car'. It's done so very badly but the guy who built it is sitting in a chair next to it smiling and wanting to talk to everyone because he's so proud and you talk for a bit and try your best to compliment the airbrushed dragon on the underside of the hood because it's the least bad thing about the whole car? As I was sending these out I was a bit worried that I was that guy. laugh

jay8s
jay8s New Reader
9/21/17 10:07 p.m.

I got mail today!  I cannot wait to wear it to school tomorrow.  There are going to be so many questions from my students.  

I have to ask, curiosity kills, what state has the most of these in the wild?  I cannot wait to hear who sees one at the local car show and gets to strike up a conversation about cars.  

Gaunt596
Gaunt596 Reader
9/22/17 3:11 a.m.

I say rebuild the stock motor and go from there. Just keep in mind the rear end gearing is LOW. Super low. Granny low would roast this low off the line. Anything that spins to 8k would just make your shifts take longer, and maybe first gear tops out at 5mph instead of 3. I feel a 4bt/6bt is a good upgradable choice because it's cheap to get a little more grunt from them, and they pair naturally with the gearing thats already in the truck. Plus if you using it to support a race car, having unlimited compressed air with enough volume to run some air tools, and a beefy inverter or generator to run power tools will be more than worth it, and you'll be everyone's favorite person at the event.

Willis
Willis New Reader
9/22/17 5:57 a.m.

Engine:
You are standing on a road next to Ferdinand.  The road you are standing on will eventually lead to a crossroad, but for now the road is straight.  Rebuild the 304.  Rebuild the brakes.  Build a relationship with Ferdinand.  Then when you come to the crossroad, you'll know what you both want/need.

Deer:
I've not hunt deer in TX, only PA.  My opinion is simple though - Deer are delicious.  I would feel no different for the deer if I shot it at a feeder or next to the corn field I hunt  in Potter County.  That said, I would have a hard time giving up hunting camp.  Hunting camps are one of the few remaining civic forums.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
9/22/17 6:00 a.m.

In reply to Willis :

Youre from york haven!

I grew up in kane. Only neighbors for a mile were hunting camps.

All this talk of deer hunting is making me nostalgic.  And hungry.

Willis
Willis New Reader
9/22/17 6:11 a.m.

Small world....and more meat talk.  I grew up in the woods / on the Oswayo around Shinglehouse / Coudersport.  When I go home I typically drive over to Kane to play Pine Acres and to hit up Bell's meat shop. 

douglawrence42
douglawrence42 New Reader
9/22/17 7:18 a.m.

Got the shirt and stickers!  Thanks Dueces!

I'll weigh in with the same opinion that most seem to be reaching, but from another angle.  You seem to realize what an awesome opportunity a blank frame where everything fits and the sky is the limit is.  On most of the truly epic "blank slate" builds, it seems is though the whole thing gets torn apart and re-done a couple times as the builder really learns what is important to them while at the same time their skills improve to where they are willing to dream bigger and bigger.  So my advice is, why not make the "first" time you build this as cheap as possible?

Chaw
Chaw New Reader
9/22/17 8:24 a.m.

Small world. I've been to Coudersport.  In fact, I know a judge there. 

If it were my project, expense would be a major factor.  I'd rebuild everything and make upgrades and improvements (brakes) when necessary.  My mind's eye still envisions stacks and a diesel; powerstroke or a MB Sprinter 5 cylinder perhaps?

ronniejay
ronniejay New Reader
9/22/17 8:45 a.m.

My shirt and stickers came yesterday here in far south Houston. The shirt sold for $280 on EBAY this morning. I need 100 more ASAP!

Just kidding. Thanks to our new friends.

corybrown50
corybrown50 New Reader
9/22/17 9:27 a.m.
ronniejay said:

My shirt and stickers came yesterday here in far south Houston. The shirt sold for $280 on EBAY this morning. I need 100 more ASAP!

Just kidding. Thanks to our new friends.

Now that's funny!!

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 Reader
9/22/17 10:04 a.m.

I like the 8100 Allison idea.  Would be "easy" but also very suitable.  If you wanted to get stupid with it, there are always the Raylar Engineering, heads, cams, stroker cranks, and now supercharger kit.  I guess by that point you might just be better off with a "regular" big block, or at the very least it would be cheaper, but the Allison is a great trans.

1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 ... 74

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tjTieWxW4UR2cedtPmhvV2nRrzmD9WhtgOyVYIFZegyHHHhREBBGq7FGBtTRHsdt