Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
9/22/17 11:02 a.m.
Crackers said:
Dusterbd13 said:
AngryCorvair said:
QuasiMofo said: 

I'm stressing over cutting the dash for a single DIN stereo... angry

I will nut-punch the berkeley out of you if you cut the dash.  Get a repro under-dash tissue dispenser and mount the single-DIN radio in that.

THIS

You're going to have a mob after you. I even have a pitch fork to take with me. 

The hell with the Pitchfork. I'm bringing my torch and the angry mob. As another option in all seriousness you can get a universal stereo Mount made for boats and fitted into the glove compartment and hide the stereo entirely. I have also used the retrosound head units and actually really like them.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
9/22/17 11:13 a.m.

Glad to see a "build?" thread with a great opening post! Sounds like the winter beater/bar cars we had in high school & college.

Needs a Craig Powerplay 8 track bolted to the transmission tunnel. DON'T cut the dash.

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
9/22/17 11:22 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

He's already got a head unit in the glove box. 

For that matter, aren't there faceless units now that operate off Bluetooth so you can mount them literally anywhere? I'd be looking into one of them. 

QuasiMofo
QuasiMofo GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/22/17 1:49 p.m.

Custom Autosound USA-230 will be installed in dash without cutting for $170 shipped. I will use a plug in Bluetooth RF transmitter to play Pandora.

Someone said 6000 rpm... TBI and HEI will limit that to 4000 rpm!

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
9/22/17 2:24 p.m.

Oh... I guess I'll put my mob gear away...

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/22/17 3:12 p.m.

E36 M3!  I just offered captdownshift a nut-punching road trip too!

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
9/22/17 5:44 p.m.
slefain said:

In reply to QuasiMofo :

Weird. Per the '69 Olds brochure

Aren't we saying this is a 1968?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
9/22/17 6:19 p.m.

Being one of two people on this thread who have seen the car, I'm highly entertained  by you guys being worried about "ruining" it. Quasi isn't saving it, he's just having fun with the very limited amount of life that is left. This car is a zombie. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
9/22/17 8:24 p.m.
mazdeuce said:

Being one of two people on this thread who have seen the car, I'm highly entertained  by you guys being worried about "ruining" it. Quasi isn't saving it, he's just having fun with the very limited amount of life that is left. This car is a zombie. 

We have very different ideas of what makes a zombie car down here vs. What those in the rust belt think. Ive seen rust belt guys do insane things.  Ive scrapped cars because i couldn't get the suspension bolts out without a torch.

We are blessed down here.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
9/22/17 8:48 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:
mazdeuce said:

We have very different ideas of what makes a zombie car down here vs. What those in the rust belt think. Ive seen rust belt guys do insane things.  Ive scrapped cars because i couldn't get the suspension bolts out without a torch.

We are blessed down here.

When I lived up north a Sawzall got used on suspension and bumper bolts quite frequently. If the rust was too much around the suspension pick up points  we'd cut the frame too and weld in new metal. There's always people looking for uncut dashes and thats why I said don't cut it. Even if the rest of the car gets scrapped someone will want the dash.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
9/22/17 8:49 p.m.

In reply to NOT A TA :

Very true. Hadn't thought about part out value. 

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
9/22/17 9:01 p.m.

LOL I used a torch to remove the bumper on my wagon because I was being lazy. 

I've also to crazy lengths to save an old car body, speaking of my wagon... And it's not even that rusty. 

QuasiMofo
9/22/17 10:49 p.m.

The car is a bucket. I'm not afraid of piling a complete crusty c2500ld into it's trunk and driving it down to the crusher... It's also perfectly imperfect just like me. It stays. 

In the quest for parts for the Ninety-H8 I stumbled across a 1995 C1500 NV3500 assembly with Hydraulic Throw out for $300. The people at The Hartford handling my Workers Comp case conveniently neglected to send my payment distribution today. Stressful crap that I didn't need.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/23/17 9:00 p.m.

I would have cut the dash if i were you.  A car is only original once, but you're a Mofo for life.  

QuasiMofo
9/25/17 10:48 a.m.
Patrick said:

I would have cut the dash if i were you.  A car is only original once, but you're a Mofo for life.  

I'm dying over here.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jsxsNdfshjFIdP70sy9onSTyQBmqnK7VixBc3yCTVNU8bBBBO2WdY79IaDpU71mO