1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11
crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/20/23 7:16 p.m.

Ferrari Challenge weekend at Road Atlanta. By far the oldest, rattiest, least expensive Ferrari at the event BUT I got the owner parking just the same. cheeky 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/20/23 7:51 p.m.

In reply to crankwalk (Forum Supporter) :

How were other owners' attitudes towards yours?

5/21/23 8:56 a.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

How were other owners' attitudes towards yours?

Lots of thumbs up and non-ironic enthusiasm surprisingly. When you see three dozen 458s and Romas and a 40 year old Mondial with a Waffle House license plate frame pulls in....that's the "rarest" thing in the lot. Lol

The factory Ferrari hospitality staff wanted me to take it out on the parade lap but I can't be the Mondial guy AND have it die cresting the hill turn 3 or something. I'm more than happy to just get there and get home under my own power which is not something anyone else probably considered that weekend.

5/26/23 11:12 p.m.

Per usual, I'm snagging more wheels up. I've found a set of 348 Speedline 17x7.5 17x9 that I'm going to powder coat and get new caps for. I think these look great on Mondials especially when lowered so when coilovers happen this will be another set to run. 

chandler
chandler MegaDork
5/26/23 11:28 p.m.
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) said:

Per usual, I'm snagging more wheels up. I've found a set of 348 Speedline 17x7.5 17x9 that I'm going to powder coat and get new caps for. I think these look great on Mondials especially when lowered so when coilovers happen this will be another set to run. 

I looked for a long time for a set of those to adapt and run on my mazda5, great looking wheels

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/27/23 8:25 a.m.

That's awesome!

6/3/23 8:18 p.m.

I messed with the 348 wheels this week. I ordered new 55mm long wheel bolts and they work on the front but the rear is 80mm long on the '93-94 models and I found out that's what I have. The correct rear bolts are about $20 a piece x10 so they are on order but dannnnng. crying

New caps and o rings came in. Kinda boring but I thought the factory o rings were a clever idea to stop the horsey from spinning and popping out:

I painted the wheels a satin metallic graphite but I don't know if it was the humidity or what but I had to go back and wet sand the heck out of them multiple times.

I'm happy with how these turned out but I can't run them in 4x4 height so coilovers are next on the list along with replacing everything vacuum line with black silicone tubing. I have a high pitched vacuum related squeal that sounds like a hose getting turned into a whistle and that needs to get sorted sooner than later too. The previously mentioned oil line leaks appear to be holding with the last fix so I'm leaving that alone for now.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/3/23 9:47 p.m.

They came out great. 

I know you bought them already, but I remember the lugbolts on my w126 were extremely long. I wonder if they would've worked. I think I still have a whole cars worth of them. 

6/3/23 11:31 p.m.
Slippery said:

They came out great. 

I know you bought them already, but I remember the lugbolts on my w126 were extremely long. I wonder if they would've worked. I think I still have a whole cars worth of them. 

I always cross reference everything and I didn't see those.

I need 14x1.5 and 80mm long from cone to tip of the thread. I didn't see anything Euro anywhere close to that.

chandler
chandler MegaDork
6/4/23 6:24 a.m.
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) said:
Slippery said:

They came out great. 

I always cross reference everything and I didn't see those.

I need 14x1.5 and 80mm ling from cone to tip of the thread. I didn't see anything Euro anywhere close to that.

The w126 ones are M12 iirc, the offset on the set of 348 wheels I was hunting was something like et79 it was crazy. Are those the super high offset?

6/4/23 7:14 a.m.

They are extremely high offset +49 front and +68 (!) rear. In order to shove 255s and a 9 inch wheel under those wheel wells that the hubs stick out so much that's how they wanted to do it. Stock Mondial wheels are +55 square. This angle you can really see how far the faces come out:

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/4/23 7:44 a.m.

This is such a great car and thread. Will you be at Petit by chance? I'll be there for the first time in forever and would love to see it in person!

6/4/23 8:46 a.m.
dyintorace said:

This is such a great car and thread. Will you be at Petit by chance? I'll be there for the first time in forever and would love to see it in person!

I may do Petit and HSR fall historics weather depending. Being close to the track again gives me a great excuse to get out and drive it. Always fun to meet up with forum folks!

6/9/23 12:53 p.m.

Hill Engineering 14x1.5x80mm wheels bolts. $210 gets you 25 more millimeters. Worth it I guess since I have no other option to run these.

Slippery
6/9/23 1:13 p.m.

$210 for 1 inch ... some would say that's well worth it ;)

6/9/23 3:23 p.m.

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
6/23/23 8:41 p.m.

Holy bejeebus - that is the longest lug bolt I have ever seen.  Something no woman has ever said to me, sadly.

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
6/24/23 8:01 a.m.

laugh haha Dave!  I know your pain my friend.

Those lug bolts are great and so are the wheels.  Bravo!

7/16/23 2:32 p.m.

Saturday was coilover/wheel day.

Konis still working great but not what I'm going for.

The fact that HIRO performance even makes these for these cars is so nuts to me. Great fitment and ride quality actually. One spin off full soft and 2 inches off the front and 2.5 inches off the back.

My buddies got me finishing wheels up and the CBX made an appearance.

So far the 9.5 inch rear tucking in nicely.

Back on the ground, the test run was with my buddies Kyle (who did most of the suspension really) and Dan in his '70 240z. Twisty roads to get coffee.

It's slammed and impractical and "ruined" from a purist point of view I'm sure. I love it.

Slippery
7/16/23 2:43 p.m.

Damn, that looks good!

Good job!

Slippery
7/16/23 2:48 p.m.

Cant stop looking at the last picture. 

Also, not that you probably care what anyone says, but it's not ruined ... it can go back to stock in an hour or so. 

johndej
johndej SuperDork
7/16/23 2:51 p.m.

Yeah, I'd say that's about the perfect modern look for the car, great work!

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/16/23 2:56 p.m.

Is it too low to be usable? It looks pretty sweet!

iammclovin804
iammclovin804 Reader
7/16/23 3:42 p.m.

That looks fantastic

7/16/23 5:05 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

Is it too low to be usable? It looks pretty sweet!

Yes! Will it stop me from doing anything I want to do in it? Nope!

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qpxj6QqT4e6Hyg9t8SKodmNeWL8Sr3Fo3Bw3gVn0YTjU5QkCURo8DN3dMl2CBPz6