DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Dork
3/18/12 9:32 p.m.

Woo! First View!

Looks like fun.

Ian F
Ian F UltraDork
3/18/12 10:33 p.m.
irish44j wrote: oops, here's the vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WINRjpC-xBY&feature=youtu.be

Yep. It needs a louder exhaust! Cool video.

That does look like a ton of fun. Let me get few autox events under the e30 and maybe I'll give it a shot.

BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture HalfDork
3/19/12 12:06 a.m.

Good looking run, awesome looking event.

Sorry I didnt go... work on the car went all stop when I started getting sick.

2 ER visits this week, surgery, and I am currently now laid up recovering. So, uh, couldnt make it

looks of that course make me wish I had! Car looked great!

Fergj187
Fergj187 New Reader
3/19/12 10:30 a.m.

Looks like a blast, wish I could bring the Miata out for a spin one day!

on a side note, you should have put that Martini sticker on backwards so it would show up normally on the go-pro strictly for the lolz

moxnix
moxnix Reader
3/19/12 11:09 a.m.
Fergj187 wrote: Looks like a blast, wish I could bring the Miata out for a spin one day!

Bring it out.

moxnix - Rallyx pusher

Fergj187
Fergj187 New Reader
3/19/12 4:05 p.m.

one day maybe, its my DD so I have to be careful with it. Moxnix, I think we've actually met. Your wife used to have a P5 I think? I had a midnight blue P5 and a few years ago we rented a fender rolled and did a bunch of our fenders at mickeys shop.

/threadjack

moxnix
moxnix Reader
3/19/12 4:25 p.m.
Fergj187 wrote: one day maybe, its my DD so I have to be careful with it. Moxnix, I think we've actually met. Your wife used to have a P5 I think? I had a midnight blue P5 and a few years ago we rented a fender rolled and did a bunch of our fenders at mickeys shop. /threadjack

Still has it. And 2 miata's, and my MSP and the RallyX RX-7.
I remember the meet but not exactly who you are.

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
3/19/12 6:02 p.m.

btw, for those who haven't figured out, it's Shawn (moxnix) who is the really fast RX-7 that ended up something like 70 seconds ahead of me in total time, lol. So that averages out to about 8 seconds per run on average. He's scary fast and putting up times with alot of the prepared/modifed AWD cars.

I have some serious work cut out for me to even start to try to catch him :)

With the results up, I finished 3rd out of 5 cars in my class (Shawn won, and some pro drift driver in Roberto's RX-7 also beat me), with my co-driver and Roberto's wife in his RX-7 both finishing behind me, IIRC.

Of all the RWD cars driving, I was 7th out of 12 cars. I know I'm in modified, but for the time being I'm using the other e30 out there (a stockish 325e) as my baseline since in reality my car isn't all that "modified" - my main advantage over them is tires (maybe) and lower weight. They have about 70% more torque in midrange than I do, and alot of experience. The eta had 4 drivers. I was about 2 seconds average per run behind the fastest of the four, and did beat one of the four. I think with some experience I will be able to catch them in time - and even though they're not in my class, they're the target for now since Shawn is way out of striking distance for the time being :)

Overall I finished about 35th out of about 50 cars, and most of the cars I beat are faster cars than mine, so that tells me that at least I'm not driving like a TOTAL wuss at the first event.

I also have to say that I don't really like doing the co-driver thing in this case - it's always a rush to jump into the car and get in line with multiple drivers, and I kind of like to just chill in the car and go over the runs in my head during autocrosses, which I can't do with co-drivers. Also the car is hot as hell since it's running hard for 27 runs and since windows are up in rallycross it never gets a chance to air out between runs as it would were I sitting in the grid line for 5 minutes between runs. I'm a creature of habit, and having multiple co-drivers kind of gets me out of any "groove" I might (or might not) have

but really, just need to drive more like a madman, like shawn!

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
3/19/12 7:02 p.m.

Results HERE:

http://www.wdcr-scca.org/RallyCross/ResultsRX/WDCRRallyX1201231812/tabid/1730/Default.aspx

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
3/19/12 8:02 p.m.

Now that I've had a bit to think about things, here's the "laundry list" of what I want to get done before the next event April 22nd:

1. e36 steering rack. I actually didn't have any real issues with steering slowness on-course, but faster steering is always good for control, so need to get this done.
  2. after the event my trunk was filled with dirt. Odd, since I have no rust-through or other openings that shouldn't be there. The culprit is the side-fender vents to let air OUT, which pretty much just let dirt IN. So before the next event I'll wrap those in some old air filter element or something to keep the dirt/dust from getting in. Not that I care if the trunk gets dirty really (no carpet or anything), but if it doesn't need to be dirty, then I'd just prefer it isn't :)
  3. still getting a leak from the tranny - it's either the output shaft seal (which looked new and good when I had the DS out, so I didn't mess with it), or the small seal on the shifter selector rod (which I replaced). Hard to see above the tranny with the DS there, but it seems to be above the rear seal....I'll check the fluid level and see how much I lose. Seems to just be a slow drip. Might just make sure to keep topping it off and deal with it next winter. I have a spare G240 sitting around that I plan to rebuild anyhow.
  4. Need to figure out the occasional rear end clunk. Was under the car tonight and didn't notice anything of note. So I'll just make sure all the rear suspension stuff is torqued to spec and such and go from there.
  5. The fuel pump (in-tank) is humming pretty good. NOt sure if it was before (with the seats in, it might have masked the sound), but a humming fuel pump is ripe to become a dead fuel pump. So I'll probably replace it so as not to be stranded in the middle of W.Va. Also may do the aux pump and the filter at that time.
  6. Plan to bump the timing a bit. I feel like the car was out of steam above 4500rpm or so and not quite as "peppy" as I'd like. I had the timing bumped before but put it back to stock timing when I was trying to diagnose my high idel issue. Now that I changed the idle setup to manual input (no IACV), time to bump the timing again.
  7. clean air filter
  8. try to fab up the front strut tower bar to fit correctly, since it doesn't right now (damn you ebay!)
  9. Install a shift light. I was short-shifting first because I can't really feel where the redline is on this car yet.
  10. there was something else....but I can't think of it at the moment...
dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/19/12 9:28 p.m.

Awesome, thanks for the update. I've been really enjoying this build thread but don't want to clutter it up. Don't mistake a lack of posts for a lack of interest

moxnix
moxnix Reader
3/19/12 11:05 p.m.
irish44j wrote: Overall I finished about 35th out of about 50 cars, and most of the cars I beat are faster cars than mine, so that tells me that at least I'm not driving like a TOTAL wuss at the first event. I also have to say that I don't really like doing the co-driver thing in this case. but really, just need to drive more like a madman, like shawn!

Trying to compare times from different heats in rallyx does not work very well. IMO we had the better run group this event. Morning they had a small advantage but afternoon we had a big advantage with them running right after the water truck.

I have done very few rallyx events without a co-driver so I guess I am just used to the drill by now but one of our first events with the car 2 years ago I had the datalogger and my car was going out on the course about every 2-3 minutes so 1 minute for the run and 1-2 minutes to swap drivers and get back to the start line. This past Sunday we were about 5-6 minutes between runs on the 2 driver cars.

I am not sure why people think I drive like a madman out there but it is not the first time I have been told that.

octavious
octavious New Reader
3/20/12 6:39 a.m.

I've been following as well. Very cool build and glad the first event went well.

NGTD
NGTD Dork
3/20/12 8:15 a.m.
moxnix wrote: I am not sure why people think I drive like a madman out there but it is not the first time I have been told that.

Because when you do rally-X well, people are trying to explain why they are getting beat bad. At the last rally-X I attended, one of my competitors was handing me my ass to the tune of 10 sec. a run. A lot of people said he was driving like he was crazy. He wasn't - smooth and fast.

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
3/20/12 11:42 a.m.
moxnix wrote: I am not sure why people think I drive like a madman out there but it is not the first time I have been told that.

When I say it, it's meant to be complimentary - meaning you're driving right at the limit, and driving fast as hell - the way a competition car should be driven in competition.

In short, I hope to one day also drive like a madman.

Alternatively, some other people may just say it because of the beard

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
3/20/12 11:46 a.m.
moxnix wrote: Trying to compare times from different heats in rallyx does not work very well. IMO we had the better run group this event. Morning they had a small advantage but afternoon we had a big advantage with them running right after the water truck.

so what you're saying is that I was really driving like a total wuss, then

Moving_Target
Moving_Target New Reader
3/20/12 12:06 p.m.

If our club ever loses our autox venue, this looks like an excellent substitute (hell, a fun supplement even!). I'll be bringing up running this type of event up at the next club meeting I make since we've only done one or two since I've been a member.

moxnix
moxnix Reader
3/20/12 12:51 p.m.
irish44j wrote: Alternatively, some other people may just say it because of the beard

Nobody messes with the beard of power!

irish44j wrote: so what you're saying is that I was really driving like a total wuss, then

Yeah that's exactly what I mean! Err no wait I just mean you can't compare between heats. With having up to 4 drivers in my car at some events I have tried to figure out some way to compare between heats but have not figured out anything.

Ian F
Ian F UltraDork
3/20/12 1:12 p.m.

I really do hope I can try this. How badly do you think a lowered E30 would get beat up? I'm guessing a skid plate is mandatory...

It's funny... I was watching the video and kept wondering when the jump was going to show up... although I'm sure it was plenty rough as-is.

moxnix
moxnix Reader
3/20/12 2:06 p.m.

I ran for a year and a half without a skid plate on my RX-7. It did get a little dented up in the radiator area but it did not kill it. I finally decided since it had lasted this long maybe I should do something to keep it running.

With a lowered car (depending on how lowered) I think a skid plate would be a good idea.

There should not be jumps in SCCA RallyX :-(.

Ian F
Ian F UltraDork
3/20/12 3:15 p.m.

I'd guess the car is maybe an inch and half lower, but the springs are stiffer, so it might not be a big deal (car is set-up mainly for STX class auto-x). I am somewhat concerned about bearing up the valance panel since it is original and in pretty good shape beyond some paint chips. The oil pan on an M20 is rather "exposed" under the car, although installing the poly engine mounts the other day actually raised the engine up maybe a 1/2" (the right side was close to knackered). The next drive should be interesting... it vibrated quite a bit with just the poly trans mounts. I imagine installing the freshly painted IS lip would be rather silly.

I was kidding about the jumps. It's just all those years of watching the DoH sort of ingrains them into your mindset when you see cars driving on dirt roads.

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
3/20/12 5:44 p.m.

for context, Shawn's car sits alot lower than mine does. My light-duty skid had a bit of mud on it from some muddy grass, but other than that never contacted anything. It really depends on what car you're in and how much ground clearance you have. If your e30 is on stock springs you'll proabably be fine - the ETA guys weren't hitting much from what I can tell (though they did break a motor mount), and they're much lower than I am just due to weight.

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
3/20/12 8:37 p.m.

at work this evening on doing the steering rack swap. I got everything apart just fine EXCEPT I cannot get the damn steering universal joint to release from the rack or from the steering column shaft. After and hour of prying, hammering, tugging and cursing I've given it up for the night. Doused everything in PB blaster and will try again tomorrow.

And yes, the bolts on the u-joint where it goes over the splines are completely out. Just can't get any real leverage on it at the moment. grr.

I should really stop and clean the disastrous garage mess anyhow. I hate working when everything is a mess, and everything is a mess at the moment....

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
3/20/12 9:35 p.m.

my fellow e30 competitors (last year's SR and PR champions) took a few moments to haze me before the event....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9xxf13rIxY&feature=share

Ian F
Ian F UltraDork
3/21/12 7:14 a.m.

Mine is still up on the lift. I'll try to look at it tonight and see if I can come up with any ideas.

1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 139

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ajxpiTYSuzxSpWr6ihDkrk7rynKb9UO7mchZO7LoZItcMFRUDDheu73chsbhXGW0