1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 ... 139
cghstang
cghstang Dork
7/25/14 2:45 p.m.
Knurled wrote: What am I see about the challenge?

He returneth.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/25/14 4:34 p.m.

Oh.

OH.

heh heh

I certainly hope that he has a more enjoyable weekend this year. It's encouraging that he didn't abandon the sport.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
7/25/14 10:05 p.m.

Oh come now. If you're gonna whore up my thread you really must name-drop so I know who to have my gopro pointed at during the event....

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/26/14 10:38 p.m.

We will tell you when you get here.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
7/30/14 7:42 p.m.

So, with just over three weeks until Nick and I tackle the Great Lakes National Challenge event, it's time to get some things done. The more I watch the registration, the more I know this is definitely going to be a "challenge" to finish high in the MR field there. So far there are four Miatas - Evan, who finished 2nd at nationals last year in his Turbo. His co-driver also looks to be just as fast, looking at some results. Then there is another Miata that took 2nd at the Dixie/SE National Challenge recently and has won every event in the Tennessee Valley Region this year. And then there's Pete in his RX7, and I've heard plenty about his driving over the past few years.

so yeah, the e30s are gonna have a seriously uphill battle on a surface/venue that is new to us, vs. some fast locals who know the venue well, are good drivers, and are in well-setup cars. Guess we'll see how it pans out, and make sure to have fun no matter what. And pray hard for a dry course, because that's the only way we're going to have a chance with our "heavy" cars (only time I've ever thought my car was "heavy" at ~2300lbs, lol).

So here's the lineup so far, and I expect another half-dozen MR cars to sign up before registration closes, so it's going to be quite the epic battle I hope.

So with that in mind, let's do some things to make the car better. Because making the car fast is what I'm best at, even if making my own driving fast is something that needs a lot more work. I haven't figured out how to fix that problem entirely, so far....

First.....finally got my "new" tires from Chris. They've been sitting up there in Jersey for a couple months waiting to be picked up, and I finally just sent him money to ship them to me. And I'm pleasantly surprised that they are damn near new. This is the third set I've bought off the same stage rally team and these are, by far, the best tread of the group. A bit of wear on the edges, but otherwise I'm really pleased with them, they should bite well.

as compared to what is left over from the last 60-run event, which is to say.....some nubs and some cords.

So will get those (plus three new trailer tires) mounted up this weekend once I grab a couple more bottlecaps from the junkyard or friends (Two of my old tires are still good, the ones that were on the front of the car, so will hang on to them)

Also picked up an Ireland Engineering front swaybar bushing/reinforcing bracket set. Not that it's super-important in rallycross, but the old ones were probably decades old and some improved response in the front end can't hurt

old vs new

installed

My middle exhaust hangar was literally torn in two at the last event. Local auto parts store wanted $9 to special order one. Instead I ordered 3 bosal ones from Rockauto for $6 total. Small victories, lol

Also put in some 1/3" spacers in the rear to lift it up just a little bit. Probably a waste of money since I could make these myself for about $2 in cutting boards from wal-mart...but every once in a while I catch myself with an impulse buy.whatever..

Current "stance" yo.....

Then did some trailer work, including some new 2x10 12' boards to get the car up and give better clearance off the back of the trailer as well as clearance for the door over the fender. Also as mentioned above, ordered three new tires to match my one new one currently on there (Goodyear radials this time) to get rid of the crappy flatspotted old ones that the p/o ruined....

Knurled
7/30/14 8:48 p.m.
irish44j wrote: vs. some fast locals who know the venue well, are good drivers, and are in well-setup cars.

Wait, who's showing up that we haven't heard about?

Guess we'll see how it pans out, and make sure to have fun no matter what.

I just want to let you know: Good luck, we're all counting on you.

And pray hard for a dry course, because that's the only way we're going to have a chance with our "heavy" cars (only time I've ever thought my car was "heavy" at ~2300lbs, lol).

Dry rough course is where the RX-7 shines, like some sort of desert rat. If it's muddy, hell, it's whoever hits the least number of cones since all bets are off.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
7/30/14 9:15 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
irish44j wrote: vs. some fast locals who know the venue well, are good drivers, and are in well-setup cars.
Wait, who's showing up that we haven't heard about?
Guess we'll see how it pans out, and make sure to have fun no matter what.
I just want to let you know: Good luck, we're all counting on you.
And pray hard for a dry course, because that's the only way we're going to have a chance with our "heavy" cars (only time I've ever thought my car was "heavy" at ~2300lbs, lol).
Dry rough course is where the RX-7 shines, like some sort of desert rat. If it's muddy, hell, it's whoever hits the least number of cones since all bets are off.

With MR locally won the last 2 years by 2 different RX7s (me behind them both times), I'll take my chances. Of course it's mostly driver, but I never beat them in the wet, and all of my wins against them were in the driest/most hardpacked conditions.

Remember, I'm M42 so not exactly much more torque than a rotary, and unlike other e30s I have a high redline. So I like courses where I can keep momentum and use the lightness :)

I thought you were counting on Evan

I'm counting on my co-driver to win, lol.

EvanB
7/30/14 9:25 p.m.

You mean you're counting on your co-driver to beat you...cause he isn't going to win.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
7/30/14 9:48 p.m.

I have an appointment with my Shaman during the next full moon, where he will be putting a hex on all Miatas whose wheels touch dirt......

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
7/30/14 9:59 p.m.
EvanB wrote: You mean you're counting on your co-driver to beat you...cause he isn't going to win.

ok, and....? If winning was my only reason for doing anything, I'd pick things to do with less outside variables than racing cars. Even the top drivers in the world lose, it's part of racing. Que sera, sera.

cghstang
cghstang Dork
7/31/14 6:29 a.m.
irish44j wrote: So far there are four Miatas - Evan, who finished 2nd at nationals last year in his Turbo. His co-driver also looks to be just as fast, looking at some results.

How things change...

EvanB
7/31/14 7:11 a.m.

In reply to cghstang:

Maybe if his co-driver would come to events he would still be faster.

bluej
bluej SuperDork
7/31/14 9:19 a.m.

hmm.. If I don't finish last, I think I'm going to consider that a victory. I don't much care, I think it'll be a blast. Here's hoping for a fast course!

Josh, you decided when you want to pick up that bottle cap? I ended up staying home last night to work on other things, so I'll be at the garage from about 6:45 onward tonight.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
7/31/14 9:37 a.m.

Nice work! I need to get out to a R/C this year, had a lot of fun with you guys. Once I get the Town and Country on the road I think I'll start (re) building a front suspension for the rallycross Amazon.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
7/31/14 4:28 p.m.
cghstang wrote:
irish44j wrote: So far there are four Miatas - Evan, who finished 2nd at nationals last year in his Turbo. His co-driver also looks to be just as fast, looking at some results.
How things change...

lol, if you hadn't figured it out, my primary build thread is on r3vlimited (hence why I explain who you guys are since you're not on there). Usually I edit the GRM carbon-copies of my posts to not talk about people who obviously are already known on here

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
7/31/14 4:30 p.m.
bluej wrote: hmm.. If I don't finish last, I think I'm going to consider that a victory. I don't much care, I think it'll be a blast. Here's hoping for a fast course! Josh, you decided when you want to pick up that bottle cap? I ended up staying home last night to work on other things, so I'll be at the garage from about 6:45 onward tonight.

I'll figure something out, IDK. I'm going to hit the Stafford pick-n-pull tomorrow since going to Jessup will get me caught in the heart of Friday rush-hour coming home. I may be able to just pick up a couple bottlecaps down there, we'll see. Else will get that one from you later.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
7/31/14 4:30 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote: Nice work! I need to get out to a R/C this year, had a lot of fun with you guys. Once I get the Town and Country on the road I think I'll start (re) building a front suspension for the rallycross Amazon.

yessir - loved seeing the Amazon out there !

Knurled
7/31/14 6:19 p.m.
EvanB wrote: In reply to cghstang: Maybe if his co-driver would come to events he would still be faster.

Let's see. Someone got told, so according to the flowchart, this calls for an "Oh Snap".

EvanB
7/31/14 7:03 p.m.
irish44j wrote:
cghstang wrote:
How things change...
lol, if you hadn't figured it out, my primary build thread is on r3vlimited (hence why I explain who you guys are since you're not on there). Usually I edit the GRM carbon-copies of my posts to not talk about people who obviously are already known on here

I think he was referring to the fact that until nationals last year he was always faster than me.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
7/31/14 8:25 p.m.

I know, it was just a non-sequitur that I quoted just as commentary of all of you guys that I'm referencing in the original post being in this thread...

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
7/31/14 9:44 p.m.

In the "as luck would (or wouldn't) have it" category: Tar Heel SCC for their 50th anniversary is holding a rallycross at VIR in the beginning of September on the 2-mile-long government off-road training course there (as part of the Tarheel SCC motorsports weekend with autocross and HPDE), and the vids of the course demo shows that it could be 70-80mph in places for the faster cars....

And we were just commenting the other month how awesome it would be to rallycross there. But that's probably not in the cards, as it would be hard to budget the cost and time of going to both there and Ohio with only 1 weekend in between.

The thought has entered my mind to switch schedules, since VIR is almost 3 hours closer to home for me and a much easier drive (no mountains). Just the gas savings alone would be significant. And then we could run our local event (which is already paid for with season membership) the same day as Great Lakes instead.

But in the end, the real goal was to see how we do against some of the top MR cars in the country, and those will be in Ohio, not VIR....so....meh. Plus THSCC runs stage rally classing it looks like, so we'd be running against all the FWD cars.

Not having enough time or money = sux.

Knurled
8/2/14 7:36 p.m.
irish44j wrote: Remember, I'm M42 so not exactly much more torque than a rotary, and unlike other e30s I have a high redline. So I like courses where I can keep momentum and use the lightness :)

I don't get the "no torque" thing. The torque curve is a table and my estimate is that it's roughly 170 ft-lb. We figured that it's about .65 lb of thrust per pound of car, in second gear. The fun part is that it does that from about 20mph to 70-75mph. First gear is well over the magic pound of thrust per pound of car (hooray over 1g acceleration!) but this just translates to wheelspin on all but the grippiest gravel.

You make me want to head out to that other rallycross too. Shame it's the weekend after.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
8/2/14 7:59 p.m.

EDIT: now that I know who you are on DI forum, your comments make a lot more sense, lol.....

When I say "no torque" I'm comparing the M42 e30 to the M20 e30s, which in stock form put down about 140-145wtq or so (or 150ish with a chip); so relative to weight, I have substantially less torque, but more range and redline. I've driven my car and M20 e30s back to back and the difference is readily apparent. Or "no torque as compared to a stockish RX7" lol.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
8/2/14 8:05 p.m.

btw Pete, if you are interested in that VIR event, here's a link to the registration/info:

http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/vir-inaugural-motorsport-summer-sampler-rallyx-virginia-international-089523#.U92KtuNdWSq

EvanB
8/2/14 8:41 p.m.
irish44j wrote: I think I lost track of the conversation: which car is it we're talking about? Isn't an FB RX-7 something like 110tq max (crank) in stock form? And the FC like 135? Even the Turbo II is only about 180 at the crank, IIRC (so ~150 at the wheels). So what car/engine are you referencing putting 170 ft-lb down (crank or wheels) Evan's?

His car is far from stock. Build thread on DI I think?

1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 ... 139

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wTHvrK1gTio8YGZ50qsdYg00ydSCoGQtjqIRR1DHOSmu6mX1Mw6P704NWzOLseC9