1 2
SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/13/13 10:23 a.m.

Figured I'd start a build thread where I can start collecting information on this car. I don't have it in my grubby mitts yet (I'm all the way across the country in Portland as I write this) but my buddy has it ready to go for me as soon as I want it, which will pretty much be immediately on my return.

1987 Subaru XT turbo. This particular specimen is interesting because its first titled owner was Subaru of America - it was used as a demonstration car and, relative to most EA82s, it has been HEAVILY modified.

-custom built shortblock with carb model pistons (lower CR, 8.5:1 vs 9.5:1) -IHI VF11 Turbo with modded wastegate rod -K & N intake -WRX stock downpipe and midpipe with a 3" straight pipe -XT6 brakes, rotors and 5 lugs -Volvo bypass valve -Turbo XS standard boost controller -Ford T-Bird intercooler -custom short throw shifter -3.70 rear LSD -XT6 clutch and lightened flywheel -677/260 Delta cams -ported and polished heads

Pictures (circa 2007)

Unfortunately, the car has traded hands about five times since 2004 and it has suffered a bit as a result. While it is still complete and loaded with rare parts (now including an unobtainium Kaminari body kit), it developed a rough running issue with the owner that took those pics, traded hands again, where the motor was disassembled and replaced with a lower compression bottom end due to crankwalk issues.

My buddy (local Subaru whiz who did the engine build) then got his hands on the car and began trying to tune it. He ended up pulling the dual-range 4WD transmission with the intention of using a much stronger AWD XT6 transmission and in the process found a cracked hose under the intake manifold that has likely contributed to the rough running...then he had a baby, and, well, you know how it goes. I asked what his plans were and he told me to take it away for $300.

I am not sure where I am planning to go with it, but many of the build parts (T-Bird IC, Volvo BPV, etc) were used because there were no real high performance turbo Subarus in the US at the time. Now, many WRX parts may be usable that would fit the build much better.

More info is in the pipeline.

SlickDizzy
6/13/13 10:47 a.m.

In this post I will attempt to log the progression of the car.

Oldest surviving post regarding the XT, before it was sold to FL (2004). Supposedly this guy still owes MANY people a LOT of money for the build parts: http://subaruxt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2345

CarDomain page of the guy in FL who bought it (2006): http://www.cardomain.com/ride/654742/1987-subaru-xt/

Guy in FL sells the car on to a guy up north here in WI (2007): http://subaruxt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7029

My buddy builds a new motor after the SoA built one starts knocking (2009): http://subaruxt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11283

My buddy ends up taking the whole car after PO gives up on tuning (2012): http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/124836-miles-foxs-secretmobile/

SlickDizzy
6/13/13 10:53 a.m.

And here are only a few of the numerous problems I will need to tackle, according to my friend...

The car was offered to me as it was the best resort to keep it alive, versus sell it to some riccer kid who would blow it up in a week. It does have its issues. Although mechanically complete and intact, it needs work figureds out between the TPS sensor, missing knock sensor, and the combination of a manual boost control, shortened wastegate arm, and volvo recirc valve combo's with a ford intercooler. with that it has incompatibility issues with the pinouts on the TPS (4 pins vs. 3, spider intake instead of original regular intake) and the one on there is installed backwards with a hole through the cover and long screws. Overall, under the hood is mixed up between 86, 87, and 88, which are all schematically different from their original applications. This car does not run right and i'm afraid it would blow up if it's driven wrong. My plan was to go over the FSM and try to find a correct TPS, or possibly retrofit an XT^ throttle body, and replace the intercooler with one from a WRX that would be a more direct fit(which wasnt abvailable in the USA at the time this car was built. This car has had some elecrical gremlins with the alternator not charging, and the dgi-dash going blank. I was told it used to run 14's on the quarter mile with its current setup. I took the dual range transmission and suspension for my RX project. there is an XT6 trans (more ideal anyways) and my RX take-offs waiting to go on. it mostly needs just put back together. will need a brake line and wheel bearing. the original running problem was a missing hose under the manifold. perhaps going back to a regular vs spider manifold is the way to go since the tps is all wrong as it is.
beans
beans Reader
6/13/13 1:37 p.m.

Do want.

My track record isn't great with old $300 turbo Subie's though. Owned this one for about 4 hours.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/13/13 3:11 p.m.

In reply to beans:

Well, if your car is going to burn to the ground, at least you picked possibly the most scenic spot for it to happen!

In reply to SlickDizzy: Very cool car/project and can't wait to see where you take it.

ValuePack
ValuePack SuperDork
6/13/13 5:54 p.m.

Your buddy is Miles Fox, Lord and Supreme Ruler of the Trashwagon regime? Very cool, and I'm on the edge of my seat for the resurrection of Monster Wedge.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/13/13 6:07 p.m.

Make it work!

SlickDizzy
6/13/13 8:09 p.m.
ValuePack wrote: Your buddy is Miles Fox, Lord and Supreme Ruler of the Trashwagon regime? Very cool, and I'm on the edge of my seat for the resurrection of Monster Wedge.

Yeah, he's been a close friend of mine since I was in high school. Taught me most of what I know, or at least got me started on the path. I don't really click with his missus so we split ways about three years ago, don't see too much of each other anymore, but we still enjoy catching up over a brew when schedules allow.

beans
beans Reader
6/14/13 9:23 a.m.

This thing is begging to be MS'd.

In reply to petegossett:

Doesn't get much prettier than the top of Teton Pass!

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
6/14/13 9:38 a.m.

What a completely cool car. What is your realistic plan? Why not throw in a basically stock WRX engine. Surely 250ish hp is more than enough to keep it fun and it keeps you well within challenge money if that's your bag baby

SlickDizzy
6/14/13 10:35 a.m.

That may end up being the plan. EJ20G swaps seem to run about ~$1000; that would put me at $1300 in with $700 left to develop the suspension. If I could sell ~$1000 in parts back off the car (probably not impossible) I may actually end up with something very competitive.

Some bad news, and some good news came through yesterday. Bad news is that the body kit was removed and is no longer on the car, so I can't count on that to re-sell. The good news is that Fox found out the car has a TWE EA82 stainless header/up-pipe...one of less than 20 in existence. They regularly trade hands for more than $500.

Could anyone assist me on how my purchase price will work for Challenge purposes? I am paying $300 for the car as it sits with no transmission, driveshaft, rear end or suspension installed; all the parts are there but I will need to put them on myself. He would sell the car for the same price to anyone who expressed interest but so far I am the only one who has come knocking. Does this mean I can claim a $300 purchase price? Also, does that subsequently mean that I can only sell $150 in stuff off the car, or as I invest more in the car can I still re-sell up to half of my total budget?

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade UltraDork
6/14/13 11:36 a.m.

So, you're not getting much more than the body + some misc parts, correct? There doesn't seem to be much of the rare Subaru left.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
6/14/13 11:40 a.m.

In reply to SlickDizzy:

According to the rules on the GRM page:

15.Parts that are not used may be traded or sold up to the initial cost of the car or parts deal. In other words, if you buy a $500 Challenge car, you can recoup up to $500 of your budget by selling parts.

So it looks like you could recoup $300.

IMHO, I'd consider this a good thing: sell off the rare exhaust for $500 ($300 counted) and then store anything you remove from the car for competition reasons but could be reinstalled later in order to make it into a nice street car again. To be honest, I would absolutely LOVE to get a XT with a funcitonal WRX drivetrain, but not one in "Challenge" condition. I'd want a full interior, A/C, etc... Hint, hint...

SlickDizzy
6/14/13 11:51 a.m.
DoctorBlade wrote: So, you're not getting much more than the body + some misc parts, correct? There doesn't seem to be much of the rare Subaru left.

I think you are reading my posts wrong. The car comes with EVERYTHING. There is a running engine in the car. I just need to reassemble the drivetrain and suspension to drive it away from where it sits. All the parts are there, sitting ten feet away from the car on a work bench, just need to be put together again.

The only reason it is apart is because my buddy wanted the coilovers and dual-range transmission for his EJ22-powered 3-door. He left behind an XT6 transmission and OE struts/springs in their place. I don't blame him, the 3-door is lighter and with the N/A EJ22 actually goes about as quick as the XT did when it was complete, but is 10x easier to work on, gets much better mileage, and has a much flatter torque curve.

SlickDizzy
6/14/13 11:57 a.m.
Ian F wrote: IMHO, I'd consider this a good thing: sell off the rare exhaust for $500 ($300 counted) and then store anything you remove from the car for competition reasons but could be reinstalled later in order to make it into a nice street car again. To be honest, I would absolutely LOVE to get a XT with a funcitonal WRX drivetrain, but not one in "Challenge" condition. I'd want a full interior, A/C, etc... Hint, hint...

I would probably not pull the whole interior for the Challenge. It is not hard to add power to an EJ20G. Don't get your hopes up on the A/C though, tellin' ya right now that's a pipe dream when dealing with a JDM swap into a much older platform, especially since the system was gutted from the XT like 10 years ago anyway.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade UltraDork
6/14/13 12:05 p.m.
SlickDizzy wrote:
DoctorBlade wrote: So, you're not getting much more than the body + some misc parts, correct? There doesn't seem to be much of the rare Subaru left.
I think you are reading my posts wrong. The car comes with EVERYTHING. There is a running engine in the car. I just need to reassemble the drivetrain and suspension to drive it away from where it sits. All the parts are there, sitting ten feet away from the car on a work bench, just need to be put together again. The only reason it is apart is because my buddy wanted the coilovers and dual-range transmission for his EJ22-powered 3-door. He left behind an XT6 transmission and OE struts/springs in their place. I don't blame him, the 3-door is lighter and with the N/A EJ22 actually goes about as quick as the XT did when it was complete, but is 10x easier to work on, gets much better mileage, and has a much flatter torque curve.

I think my confusion comes from the fact I don't speak JDM as well as I do American Engine. Thus the problem.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
6/14/13 12:20 p.m.
DoctorBlade wrote: I think my confusion comes from the fact I don't speak JDM as well as I do American Engine. Thus the problem.

Same here... While I like old Subies, all that "EJXX" stuff is Greek to me.

SlickDizzy
6/14/13 1:33 p.m.

Once you get used to it, it's pretty simple. Or, at least, it used to be.

EA-series = 8v flat four. ER-series = 12v flat six. EJ-series = 16v flat four. EG-series = 24v flat six. EZ-series = 30v flat six.

Of course, they are starting to muck it all up again with the introduction of the FB-series...

MilesFox
MilesFox New Reader
8/18/13 5:19 p.m.

MR. Jones took posession of the car yesterday. I had swapped the dual range trans into my 3door. This xt had no lever to even actuate the lo-range anyway. So now my 3door has the dual range trans and the limited slip diff that came with it.

However, this xt came with a modified driveshaft and crossmember to fit an ej series tansmission. Should Desmond go the route of ej20 engine, i am willing to donate the parts.

I initially acquired the car for 500 bucks 2 weeks after being paid 500 bucks to put it together. Plus it came with a horde of etra parts that are XT specific.

I had only paid 200 down when i took the car because it was essentially shoved in my face and dumped on my plate. So i sold it to Desmond for the remainder of the $300 owed to the prior owner.

This car has a lot of history and a lot of drama in the ultimatesubaru.org/subaruxt.com communities.

Even before i owned this car, I was hired to work on it and paid with parts that appearently were in debt to other people that members of the forums were coming out of the woodwork asking me if i could pay them for these parts that i was paid with.

What a mess. I don;t know how i should feel considering my car is built with parts in debt. It;s like the Super Nintendo F-Zero Samurai Goroh's Fire Stingray built with stolen parts.

I do get a kick out of ending up with this XT as it was built by the douchebacg on the boards that owed everyone for parts that used to hate on my E36 M3 back in the day.

Desmond will make this car right for all of those involved with it's bastardized history.

MilesFox
MilesFox New Reader
8/18/13 5:22 p.m.
MilesFox wrote: hate on my shtuff back in the day.

whoops, sorry, word filter

MilesFox
MilesFox New Reader
8/18/13 10:31 p.m.
MilesFox wrote:
MilesFox wrote: hate on my shtuff back in the day.
whoops, sorry, word filter

E36 M3ty... ah i get it now

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/19/13 8:33 p.m.

Yes, I finally have this car! More info soon...

photo image-25.jpg

ValuePack
ValuePack SuperDork
8/19/13 8:39 p.m.

I'm more excited for updates on this than I have any right to be.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
8/19/13 9:02 p.m.

We have one of those in our ice race series,heavily modded with built engine and 4 wheel steering etc.Goes like stink when the headgaskets aren't blown,which is about twice a weekend unfortunately. Good luck.

ssswitch
ssswitch New Reader
2/3/14 11:25 p.m.

Rise from your grave, thread!

What ever happened to this car?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rleSUsYbYt7ryhFQ5rp1u8Lz5yNCrPSNtt5GmJkByULHEOKxNUPyTmDbFC0OAklk