1 2 3 ... 28
docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
7/15/18 5:50 p.m.

So, had a bit of a saga picking up this car, which was detailed in my post on the main GRM forum here  https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/sold-my-track-prepped-m3-help-me-decide-what-to-re/141027/page1/ .  However, I did manage to close the deal and brought this home this past Thursday, realizing a dream I've had since I was in High School.  I had a poster of a 930 on my wall then and a poster of a 959 on my wall in college.

Details on the car first.  It's a 2003 Porsche 911 Turbo, Artic Silver with black leather interior, 29k miles, 6 MT.  Exclusive build from Porsche, options are stainless steel door sills, aluminum gauge cluster faces, sports seats, head rest crests, painted center console.  So a relative stripper, given the huge option list Porsche has.  Still rang the bell at $120,000 new.

I have all the keys, manuals, service records, original window sticker at the Porsche Certificate of Authenticity. 

Seller gave me two sets of wheels/tires, a spare front lip, a car cover and some odds and ends. 

The rear wing is controlled by micro switches and one was bad, as well as the clutch slave accumulator.  I needed to take the car to the dealer to have a tech inspection done for my next track day, so in a fit of laziness, I had them fix both issues.  Could've saved a bit of money doing it myself, but that clutch slave can be a real PITA the first time it comes off.

So car is 100% mechanically sound now, seller did an oil change just last month.  Up next for me is installing my PFC track brake pads, doing a brake fluid flush and mounting the race tires/wheels.

I also want to do a clear bra and tint job on the car.  I'm debating a tune, which adds a tremendous amount of power but I'm concerned about the stock clutch holding it.  Since a clutch job is close to $4000 on this car, I want a bit of reassurance that the factory clutch will hold up for awhile.  The car with a tune will make ~480awhp and even more torque, so it's a BIG increase from the 415hp at the crank it makes currently.

Today I noticed that the rear tail lights are suffering from the typical cracked mounts, so I ordered a set of "Light Savers", which are plastic brackets that sandwich the lights.  I also ordered new frunk struts and a new air filter.

The car was sold to me in purported all stock condition with the exception of the smoked front markers and the GT3 wheels.  However once I got underneath it I found an obviously aftermarket adjustable rear swaybar and end links.  Score!

I took care of all the DMV paperwork right when they opened Friday am.  Got really close to randomly getting a cool license plate, almost got XOX 911 or XOX 996. 

Since everyone likes pictures, here ya go...

mbruneaux
mbruneaux Reader
7/15/18 6:31 p.m.

Very cool, dream come true!

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Reader
7/15/18 6:44 p.m.

Did you get the service records ?

Check and see if it got a replacementnt motor on warranty, 

If not read up on the IMS bearing problem ,

They are great cars and a real value compared to a 993 turbo , but they do have that IMS problem

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Dork
7/15/18 7:07 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

They are great cars and a real value compared to a 993 turbo , but they do have that IMS problem

Turbo cars didn't have the IMS issues.  They were an improved engine known as a "Mezger engine".  It was named after one of the head Porsche engineers.  

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
7/15/18 7:07 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

Turbos don’t have the ims problem,  so he has nothing to worry about there.

Dammit
Dammit Reader
7/15/18 7:15 p.m.

Worth pinning or welding the coolant pipes when you drop the engine for the clutch as the mighty Mezger has a habit of spitting them off, but otherwise they're an admirably stout engine.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
7/15/18 7:39 p.m.

Congrats...enjoy.  I would hold off on "tune" for a bit getting used to it.  Beautiful car. Get ready to enjoy the wonderful world of the Porsche tax. LOL

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/15/18 7:51 p.m.
Dammit said:

Worth pinning or welding the coolant pipes when you drop the engine for the clutch as the mighty Mezger has a habit of spitting them off, but otherwise they're an admirably stout engine.

It is required by several PCA groups for track events, too.  Check your tech form!  Congrats on the car!  I've been drooling over them for a long time but it will be next to never when I own one myself.  

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
7/15/18 7:51 p.m.

The twice pipes in the rear plus my fave (much to purists consternation) front headlamps make this an excellent score......the exception being a navy blue interior......well done....enjoy!!!!!! 

Dammit
Dammit Reader
7/15/18 8:03 p.m.

To equal the turbo power to weight figure is the goal for my 996 project, will be a while before I get there (if ever!)

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
7/16/18 8:24 a.m.

In reply to PMRacing :

Dealer passed the car for the track, so apparently pinning the coolant fittings isn't required in my region.  That said, I will be doing that when the opportunity arises.

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
7/16/18 8:25 a.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem :

This is actually my 5th Porsche, so I'm well aware of the tax!  First 911 tho, all my other ones have been front engine examples.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
7/16/18 8:33 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

You REALLY get it in the rear when the motor is back there, too.wink

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
7/16/18 9:38 a.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem :

Good news is the 996 Turbos seem to be very durable cars.  My friend has owned one for the past 8 years, he has close to 100k miles on his with nothing but normal maintenance.  There are several with over 500k miles on them...

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
7/16/18 9:53 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

I agree. Course I only have experience with air-cooled 911 but mine has been pretty damn reliable. The only problem is when something does go wrong parts are outrageous. For example, set of offset ball joints $340. Brake calipers $350 each. Etc. And that's on an old one. But that being said the stuff usually doesn't wear out if maintained. With your low mileage example you will get years of enjoyment out of that car

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
7/16/18 10:28 a.m.

Stock clutch will hold up just fine for daily driving adn light DE work with a tune as long as you keep the turbos and the rest of the motor mostly stock. 

Replacement clutches are not that bad $$$ aftermarket and they hold up to way way way more power. If oyu have the skills its not a bad install but it takes a motor table and a lift. 

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
7/16/18 10:32 a.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe :

I have a lift but don't have a motor table.  I was under the impression you could do the clutch by removing the tranny and not having to drop the motor?

It seems hit and miss whether the stock clutch will hold up to a tune or not.  Been searching Rennlist on it, some people don't have an issue (my friend didn't for instance) but others have had their clutch begin to slip only a month after getting a tune.

I really don't want to have to spend the money for a tune now, particularly if its an engine out job.  At that point I'll do the plugs, coil packs, motor mounts and pin the coolant lines so it'll turn into a really expensive job....

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
7/16/18 5:39 p.m.

awesome car!  I'd be tempted by that Tubi exhaust that was offered.  I know it might not do much on paper for #'s compared to other mods for the money, but those noises.... worth it.  ;-p  

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
7/16/18 8:02 p.m.
docwyte said:

In reply to wearymicrobe :

I have a lift but don't have a motor table.  I was under the impression you could do the clutch by removing the tranny and not having to drop the motor?

It seems hit and miss whether the stock clutch will hold up to a tune or not.  Been searching Rennlist on it, some people don't have an issue (my friend didn't for instance) but others have had their clutch begin to slip only a month after getting a tune.

I really don't want to have to spend the money for a tune now, particularly if its an engine out job.  At that point I'll do the plugs, coil packs, motor mounts and pin the coolant lines so it'll turn into a really expensive job....

Table is easier and well you typically need to do other things with the clutch that makes the full pull the better option. Just like you said. You can do it motor in but I have yet to see it in person.

I have never felt that the car needs more power in its stock form. Better tires which you have covered. Your is not a X50 with the low option count but there are upgrades from that package that are worth the money if you are in there and want to keep it mostly OEM.

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
7/17/18 8:11 a.m.

In reply to xflowgolf :

Oh, I'm definitely tempted by the exhaust.  Guy wants too much for it.  He started with a huge asking price, then dropped it down to something more reasonable, until he told me the tips weren't coming with it.  Tubi sells the tips for $800, so unless he willing to accept less for the exhaust without the tips, no go for me.

I told him I'm interested if he's willing to make me a deal, haven't heard back from him on it.  I'm not going to chase him to give him my money...

badwaytolive
badwaytolive Reader
7/17/18 8:42 a.m.

Wow! How awesome!

Congratulations on a real dream car - please continue to report back for those of us that want those vicarious feels...

damen

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
7/17/18 8:55 a.m.

Just tracked all my purchases, everything should be arriving tomorrow and Thursday.  I gotta get on the ball tho and flush the brakes tonight.  That way tomorrow night I can install the brake pads and wheels/tires and go out and bed the pads in.

Thursday evening is the "Largest Gathering of Porsches" event, something like 600 usually show up.  Free food/drink etc, I'd like to go with my son but need the car buttoned up and ready to go before that.

Friday am I need to run it over to the dealer and show them I changed the brake fluid to have the tech form signed off for Saturday's event...

98horn
98horn New Reader
7/17/18 12:01 p.m.

In reply to NordicSaab :

Beat me to it.  The metzger doesn't even have an IMS.

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
7/18/18 8:32 a.m.

Ok, since Thursday is the "Largest Gathering of Porsches" event, I gotta get to work! 

Last night was brake fluid flush night.  Car had Ate Super Blue in it of unknown vintage.  Given that the previous owner only drove the car 550 miles a year, chances are the fluid is at least 6 years old and probably quite a bit older than that.

First time getting the 911 up off the lift decks, gotta say having 2 bridge jacks is very handy!

Then siphoned as much of the old fluid out of the reservoir as possible and hooked up my trusty Motive Power Bleeder.  Had this thing for years, totally worth it!

Then grab my catch can and an 11mm wrench and go to town.

This car took a TON of fluid to flush the blue out.  All my other cars I could do a fluid swap like this with 1 can of fluid.  This one took 1.5 cans and honestly I should've run a full 2 cans through it.  Just tons of fluid in the system apparently.  Really, really old, skanky fluid as well.  Two bleed screws were blocked.  I was able to "shock" them by cycling them a few times and using a few more pounds of pressure in the Motive to blow the crud out of them.

Fluid was running clear at the calipers but I was unable to suck all the old fluid out of the master, so the fluid up in it is a very light green color.  I'm going to put my track pads on tonight so I may run some more fluid through it at the same time. 

Also found out that the GT3 wheels on the car are the real deal and I have 15mm H&R spacers on the back so they'll fit properly. 

TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP Reader
7/18/18 8:50 a.m.

I have made a habit of always putting those rubber bleeder caps on the bleeders, keeps stuff out of the inside  of the bleeder screw.

It is a good idea to flush the brake fluid once in a while, not just on a track car but anything, prevents having to replace the calipers.

Great car, have fun with that!

1 2 3 ... 28

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zdG02wCdEtRLwD1xZqMPxO19zWqB5flBWwbMGLdKwIUivSziMJGB9WUNJ1vYo6K3