1 2
Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
7/8/24 9:35 p.m.

This past weekend was a busy weekend........

After lusting after these since they were announced in 2022 or so, and giving up hope with $$$ dealer markups on the 6 cars being delivered in the country, I tried to let it go.  Then a few weeks ago, I saw one on the highway and we leapfrogged each other in traffic on I-75.  That was the 1st in person, and rekindled my interest.  "I wonder if they're available yet"?

I started doing some searching on the 'net and listed my searching here.  I ended up finding a few used '23s for decent prices, at least MSRP or slightly lower, with maybe a couple thousand miles at most.  Hm, and even a new one or two, at least within a 2hr drive.  A friend in IN told me about one at his dealership.  But I realized I wasn't even sure I would like the things.

I made a post in our local SCCA AX group and one reply was someone in northern Cincy that said he was going to be selling his soon and I could come check it out, even if I didn't buy it.  Turns out, he bought a 2023 Core with all 3 packages (Performance, Tech, and Cold Weather) as soon as they came out, drove to Akron for it and paid $7500 over sticker to have it.  He then spent $$ on assorted stuff to try one rallycross and has since realized at 69 he was no longer the trackrat/AX/RX guy.

So we emailed back n forth, he sent me a detailed email on everything he had done to the car, and I mean detailed.  Description, cost, links to a forum with photos...  (This is a pattern that will repeat.)  Made me afraid I wouldn't afford his additions but nice enough guy, chance to try the car out, and only 6-7 miles from work.  He was out of town on vacation but we arranged a meeting on Wednesday July 3rd after work.

We ended up talking for almost an hour and I finally drove it.  It was everything I hoped it would be.  The interior and seating reminded me of the Abarth I loved for 7-8yrs.  The little turbo 3cyl was eager to rev and pull, the automatic rev matching caught me off guard.  I loved it.

We finally talked price.  He did some mental math of upgrades and accessories, hemmed and hawed a little.  He was willing to make me a good deal, even lose some $, he knew he wouldn't recoup what he spent.  I finally blurted out "how about $38K for everything" to get a baseline.  After a bit of head scratching, he said "how about $38.5K for everything?"  -- honestly if he had said anything $40K or under I was in.  I had 2-3 other cars ready to see that were 2hrs away at about $39K for just a car.

We shook hands and I said I would contact my bank on Friday after the holiday.  Friday morning I did an online app with US Bank for $25K (I had savings), got approved in 3 minutes, and within an hour I had $25K deposited in checking.  He asked for a cashiers check, we decided $36K for the car and $2.5K for the wheels/stuff so I did a personal check for $2.5K.

We settled on Saturday morning, SWMBO and I went down in the Crosstrek and filled up both vehicles with wheels, accessories, OEM parts...  We unloaded everything into the garage and it was impressive.  Mr Seller had organized everything, boxed and wrapped parts, labeled boxes, washed the Braid rally wheels because they were dirty.  He even sent me a 90 second video on Friday showing everything laid out in the garage for me.

I managed to sell the BRZ Sunday morning and included those RPF1s I was trying to sell earlier, plus the OEM wheels.  That freed up some space that I took advantage of after work today (both Saturday and Sunday were quite busy).  I just unboxed some items like 4 red calipers that he replaced with the generic black ones because he didn't like them (I want them back on).

There's an aftermarket console and armrest I need to install this weekend.  As you can see, 3 sets of wheels : black OEMs have RE71 tires for AX, the silver have DWS 06+ all-seasons that will likely go on after the next AX July 20th, and a set of Braid wheels with snow tires.

He did little things that I appreciated and would have done, like he didn't like the center exhaust being oval while the other two were round, so he cut them all off and installed flat black tips that match.  Some module that keeps the rev matching on vs having to hit a button every time you start the car, like the Sport button on the Abarth.  Convex mirror on driver side from Japan since their left side is the passenger side.  Just neat little things.

The Eibach 1" lift springs and RallyArmor mud flaps are different from everyone else and I love it.  Time to build on the rally theme, maybe add another light bar like the BRZ had.

He figured out how to add a real spare tire and which one would work, so I have a real spare tire now.  PPF and ceramic coating.  The shift knob I'm not convinced, it's aluminum and gets fairly hot in the sun, that may or may not stay.  Tonight I put the rear seat headrests and the overhead pull handles back in, he had them out for reasons but I wanted them.

Haven't figured out the Toyota app very well, doesn't seem to work much but I'll try again.  I think I figured out how to turn off the lane change assist and warning E36 M3, that was bugging the hell out of me since Saturday.  Try to change lanes and the steering wheel is fighting me??

I'm sure I'll remember something later but for now here it is. SWMBO said I bought a bucket list car, and I think she's right.

bonylad
bonylad GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/8/24 9:58 p.m.

First!  And damn son. You did well! Love it and can't wait to see what happens next?!

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/9/24 8:54 a.m.

That's awesome. Congrats and enjoy!

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
7/9/24 9:24 a.m.

I added it to my insurance and dropped the BRZ, my monthly went up $20.  Tried the BMV yesterday at lunch & the lot was more than full.  Went to my local BMV and title office this morning at 8am and was done with both within 10 minutes...

I paid $6 to transfer the BRZ's plate.  Debating a personal plate down the road, but not sure.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
7/9/24 1:31 p.m.

And looking up SCCA classes for the event on the 20th, apparently it was moved from D Street to B Street recently.  And the next step up is XA, no Street Touring options like STH.  Hmm, only thing not stock are springs and they're 1" lift lol.  He included some B magnets I might as well use.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/9/24 3:54 p.m.

Awesome! I'm more and more tempted to move into one of these. 

wyndscreen
wyndscreen New Reader
7/9/24 4:38 p.m.

Read that right?  63k for a corolla?

mileage?

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
7/9/24 4:48 p.m.

In reply to wyndscreen :

That's the sticker price, the old dealer mark-up, and all his stuff, added together.  His title said 8 miles, I bought it at just over 5K.

sevenracer
sevenracer HalfDork
7/9/24 5:39 p.m.

Congrats! Sounds like you stole it.

I got to do a brief drive in a buddy's Core (also white), cool car. I was kind of surprised how refined it felt. Suspension wasn't crazy stiff. Motor wasn't peaky. Amazing that they actually got the green light to bring it to market.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/9/24 7:04 p.m.

Seems very well bought. I think if you use your turn signal.. the lane change won't fight you. Some round rally lights on the nose would look awesome. 

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
7/9/24 7:09 p.m.

Can't decide between classic black or the TRD vintage look.

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
7/10/24 9:36 a.m.

I like the TRD vintage look

tb
tb Dork
7/10/24 10:03 a.m.

+1 on the vintage TRD look

I'm still living vicariously through these threads while I look for one for myself. Little details like the spare tire option are very cool to find.

Nice score, have fun!

Berck
Berck HalfDork
7/11/24 2:41 a.m.

That guy was pretty active on the GR Corolla forum--I recognize those wheels.  Saw his posts while trying to figure out what 17" wheels will fit so I can get winter wheels for mine.  The Braids are nice, but I'm leaning toward the much more affordable Sparcos from Tire Rack.  I wish there were an option that works with the stock lug nuts.  I've got until fall to figure it out.

Yes, the lane assist is fighting you because you're not using your turn signal.  Stop being a BMW driver and it won't fight you:)

Definitely thinking about doing the spare tire thing as well.  I've also got that module to default iMT sitting on my workbench ready to go in.  It's criminal that Toyota makes you push that button every time you start the car.  Also dumb that it'll stay in normal or eco drive mode after a restart, but not sport.

I think you got a good deal, especially if you're into those mods.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
7/11/24 8:36 a.m.

Nice score!

I'm a fan of the vintage TRD colors, specifically the one where red is the primary color. Matches the red calipers if you put those back on. 

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
7/11/24 8:49 a.m.

In reply to Berck :

Yeah, I'm seeing his posts a lot.  We're still in contact (he's a cool guy) & he's pointed me to a few posts when I've asked questions.  And I figured the lane assist out - when I used the signals it did leave me alone, but sometimes Karen pulls into my lane without looking (for me, her cellphone she's good with) & I need to be quick about it, and that's NOT the time I need the car fighting me on my decision.  wink

I did finally manage to turn off the LTA/LDA stuff, adjusted a few other options like speed limit warnings, and finally managed to get back out of Settings.  Also think I have 3 different dash layouts set up I can scroll through.

Last night I removed the rear wiper blade and covered the end with a tire valve stem cap, like the Crosstrek.  If I decide to stay that way I'll do the "delete" option with fancy washer and stuff to make it flush and pretty.  Pretty small window, will likely keep it off.

The iMT module is wonderful!  It reminds me of having to hit Sport button every time I started the Abarth or it limped along at like 130-140hp, weirdly vague steering, and all kinds of Eco warnings to shift at every 1500 RPM.  I think someone eventually figured out a replacement switch but I never got around to doing it.

EDIT- if you go with Tirerack (like I would have if these weren't included), they will include new lugnuts with the wheels.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
7/14/24 4:38 p.m.

Finally had some time to mess around a bit this weekend.

First up, the PO had the car ceramic coated and PPF installed. But the letters on the side skirts were getting dirt trapped on the edges, and no way to clean it without messing up the film.

So I decided to remove all the film from that body piece. I thought about only removing a section at the letter but was afraid over time you'd see a seam, and possibly different color.

That took awhile! This stuff is really stuck in there, and it was wrapped pretty far underneath. I think both sides took a couple hours.

I also replaced the only bulbs that aren't LED (license plate) with LEDs. All the interior is LEDs so that saved me a step of my usual stuff.

Today I installed an aftermarket console he included, it seems pretty popular with owners. I can see why, it installed easily and securely. It adds much needed room (only had a small glovebox that's half filled with owner manuals). And with the white stitching it looks OEM. I believe the maker has a choice in stitching.

I also played with the vinyl cutter and ideas. I really wanted something with the Great Gazoo and decided on this for now at least.

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
7/14/24 5:12 p.m.

That's a good deal - he took quite a hit on the money he spent!

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
7/15/24 8:59 a.m.

I also attempted carbon fiber vinyl on the fuel door.  It was a decent brand, glossy and pretty thick, thought I was safe.  This morning there were multiple wrinkles like the clear separated overnight.  Yeah, that's coming off after work.  The console makes a big difference as an arm rest, it's even adjustable to scoot forward and back, I love that.

Today a 3.3' USB C - C cable arrives from Amazon, because Android Auto isn't doing much better than the Crosstrek by Bluetooth.  (I also put the OEM shift knob back on, I think it looks better and that solid metal thing was going to be ridiculous in the winter.)

Berck
Berck HalfDork
7/15/24 6:08 p.m.

Yeah, the wireless Android Auto turns out to be a bit of a disaster for me as well.  I was excited--toss your phone on the wireless charger and just have android auto connect wireless! Sometimes it works flawlessly, other times it absolutely fails to connect, sometimes with error messages when I try to force it.  But when it does connect, it makes my phone run stupid-hot.  Which also means that it refuses to charge wirelessly because it's already hot.

Works flawlessly when connected via cable.  Annoying.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
7/15/24 9:20 p.m.

In reply to Berck :

Yeah,my phone doesn't charge on the charger anyway. S23 Ultra with a case seems too big, doesn't sit right but I've read others have issues with it too. He included a replacement wireless charger base and said something about having to modify it to work, not sure I'm that interested.

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
7/16/24 9:19 a.m.

Anytime I've tried wireless charging the phone overheats.  It's fine for a short trip, but that's it...

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
7/18/24 9:06 a.m.

Yesterday was fun, saw the TPMS warning on the way to work, figured I'd check it there.  Stopped at Target first, came back out & thought the right rear looked a little low.  3 miles to work, and it was already quite flat.  Local tire shop pulled the nail but said it was already trashed from driving low.  Now waiting on a new tire from Tirerack that SHOULD be here today, to mount Friday, to have for Saturday's AX.

Really glad the seller figured out a real spare tire.  I drove the Abarth for 7-8 yrs and got lucky, only having a can of spray goo.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
7/21/24 6:52 a.m.

First event in the Great Gazoo!  Even with the 1" lift springs it seemed to handle wonderfully.  Maybe if I were chasing 10ths or something, but for my mid-pack skill level I had a blast.  We only had a few morning runs, and I spent them getting comfy with the handling/throttle/braking and getting used to an Abarth-sized car again (or closer to it than the BRZ).

The afternoon runs felt faster, of course I left my GoPro on during the work heat and lunch so no videos, but I did record run #1 where I almost spun after a slalom that fed into a decent left, I think I trail braked a bit too long.  Made for some funny laughs on camera, I don't think I coned it but I got quite sideways.

The PO had left a piece of tape on the visor mirror I found by accident, with instructions for races.  Turn IMT on (rev matching), Sport mode, press traction control for 3 seconds, switch to 30-70 diff.  That's what I did all day, there's an Expert mode somewhere and thought about trying the normal 60-40 but didn't do either.  I watched the coolant and oil temps all day, it was about 86F and clear skies, but never got out of hand.  I shut it off between runs, we had a bit of time for that.  1st run I set tires at 30# for a baseline, after the 1st run they were 34-35#!

Went with 28-29# the rest of the day, seemed reasonable.  I felt pretty confident by the end of the day, throttle and turbo are pretty much right there when you want them (in Sport) and the handling felt good.  The RE-71s helped I'm sure (my 1st time owning them).  I think I will leave the springs on and go forward with the WRC rally look.  Great first event!

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/21/24 8:22 a.m.

Wow, nice car and a great story. That's the kind of guy that you want to buy a used car from. 

I unknowingly rolled up behind one of these things for the first time yesterday.  It took a few stop lights before it all clicked for me. I went from almost no reaction to, "Hey, that's a hatchback". Then, "That looks pretty nice. I could live with a car like that". To, "Holy crap! I know what that is!!"

Enjoy your new car!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7qwfzWdJ92XrcRhCYdFJXS8neXmtWX7W1UMi4atNuFrLBjtfaNwyDgDMrC0aZppT