1 ... 16 17 18
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/30/23 9:26 a.m.

Dang! Hard luck.

Have you tested to confirm the engine is berked?

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
12/30/23 10:44 a.m.

I started and ran it a bit yesterday- good oil pressure, no unexpected noises... I am going to see if I can pull the pan without pulling the engine and have a look at a couple bearings. 

12/30/23 12:18 p.m.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
1/6/24 5:14 p.m.

Ok.... I'm going to confess..... I didn't pull the motor or the pan. Good oil pressure, no noises, and I really just can't bear pulling the motor again again.  I know I should, but I've got another project in the wings and want to get this one roadworthy reasonably rapidly so I can get into the 64 mini in Feb.  

Tuning is so far actually pretty fun. Chasing little leaks, etc, but everything is buttoning up pretty nicely. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/6/24 6:54 p.m.

It's easy enough to pull rhe filter and have a look see, no?

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
1/7/24 3:49 p.m.

Yes, true. I'll do that. 

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
2/9/24 7:16 p.m.

Checked it out.... nothing obvious. Changed oil and filter just in case. 

Some interesting things:

1. Tunerstudio makes tuning so fun and relatively simple. Even with high lift/duration cams and way oversized throttle bodies, this thing is a Bob Costascat. I feel like after 10 or so 5 mile runs I have a good enough tune, albeit with overrun crackle that is waaaay over the top. I sorta love it. Over 3k it's a beast. I've got to tune suspension more before I go further because letting off it gets a little dicey. Also getting on it at above 3500 same. It has so much.  Also- thank you Skinny- I stalked your site and am using alpha n and basically copied your fuel and ignition tunes. Haven't made a single alteration to ignition, but adjusted and scaled fuel. After about a minute it idles perfectly at 1000 without any idle valves etc. 

2. Tuning suspension is sorta fun with adjustable shocks. Mine are just GSXR 1000, but they are double adjustable and I can reallly tell when I make an adjustment- mainly tuned out all the bump I can and adding rebound to tame full to off throttle transition- it would get squirrely, but as I add rebound damping in the rear it seems to calm down little by little. I'm going 1/4 turn at a time. 

I'm admittedly a little scared of this thing. It's so light and has so much more power than the last one. I haven't really scratched the surface of the upper RPMs- really I'm suspension and tire limited until I get a decent shock tune.  

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
2/9/24 10:00 p.m.

That is always going to be tire and suspension limited.  Welcome to the wild world of over powered cars. I have built them for others, I don't have the self control to own one...

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
2/9/24 10:37 p.m.

I'm learning that I may be too old (mature?) (scared?) to own one as well. It's a handful. 

Shavarsh
Shavarsh HalfDork
2/9/24 11:17 p.m.

Rad! So glad to hear all the work is paying off

2/10/24 7:00 a.m.

Result!

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
2/10/24 7:36 a.m.

It isn't the "old". I'm 71 and I still do donuts in any snow covered parking lot...Trouble is this "MG" will do them on pavement at 5 X the speed .

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
2/10/24 4:15 p.m.

Haha. I'd prefer that the donuts were intentional. Hoping adding the rebound will dampen the weight transfer. Also contemplating reducing spring rate in the rear. It's pretty bouncy and only using about an inch of the 2.5" travel of the shocks. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
2/10/24 11:18 p.m.

Narrow cars need to be soft. Watch fast Lotus Elans, they all lean lots. More damper than spring too.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
2/11/24 1:57 a.m.

Good to know.  I have no experience with the tuning part. If factory gsxr springs are 500lbs, maybe 325-350 rear and 400 front will sort me out. I purposely designed a high roll center so anti roll bars wouldn't be required. So far it doesn't roll. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/11/24 9:00 a.m.

In reply to Teh E36 M3 :

This car makes me want to do another radical build. Outstanding work all the way.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
2/11/24 4:17 p.m.

Thanks dude. In this company that means a lot. 

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
5/14/24 4:00 p.m.

Updates:

I've got about 500 miles on it. Running excellent on microsquirt and 48mm ITB's. Honestly this was the part I was worried about but the tuning process wasn't too bad and I'm happy with the tune. Still no dyno yet.   

-replaced springs with 350 front and 300 rear. Much better ride. Shock tuning pretty good. Still no sway bars.  
-it's faster than I'm comfortable with still. More fun to jaunt around town than scare myself so far, but I'll keep tuning suspension.  
-stubborn oil leak that is coming out of a weird hole at the middle bottom forward side of the transmission- oil is coming from a non-threaded hole on the rear side of the transmission/engine flange. I suspect I did a poor job of installing the rear main seal.  I desperately do not want to remove the engine, but it looks like I'm going to have to do so.  
-mo-ride fuse block thing is cool and not cool. I actually sorta don't like having to use my phone but I do like the programmable aspect. Might take it from Bluetooth mode to manual mode and just install an ignition on switch.  
-lots of suspension tweaking to remove free play and eliminate rubbing. We are finally good after hours of pain.  
-refueling was embarrassing because I filled and the vent, well, vented about a half gallon of gas. I need to extend the vent vertically to prevent this.  

Generally, pretty good. I'll get this damn oil leak taken care of and get on with just enjoying it. I'm realizing--it runs so well, and eventually everything is going to work well, but I didn't need to go to these extreme measures except to prove to myself that I could do it. I don't need an extreme build any more, but this isn't for sale. This has me almost questioning the plans for the 64 mini and Honda D series power. I've got all the parts already though, so I'll power through it. 

Shavarsh
Shavarsh Dork
5/14/24 4:58 p.m.

Hell Yeah!

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/14/24 6:21 p.m.

Nice!

sotaro
sotaro
5/16/24 1:32 a.m.

Stellar! 3 years from zero to a great car. Thank you for sharing. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
5/16/24 7:02 a.m.

Well done. It has been a fun build to follow and I will miss the updates if it is ever "Done" to the stage it merits no further post.

Is it wrong that I think it great that the car is a bit terrifying? It gives you room to grow into it. Curious how you will feel a year or two down the road.

Pete

GM > MG
GM > MG New Reader
5/16/24 11:35 a.m.

Nice. Xtra points for a project that actually finished and on the road.

And, once you have done major engine swap in Hot Wheezles size car (Midget, Spitsfire, 1600, etc...) you are now officially capable of building a intersteller space vehicle in your back yard...

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
5/17/24 10:25 a.m.

Haha. To say it is or likely ever will be "finished" is vastly overstating it but it is driving and driving pretty well. 

Pete- I love the idea that terrifying could become something better. I'll work on it. Likely going to drive it down to the Dixon all British meet Sunday to have a bunch of people tell me how I should have done it or how I ruined a great car. Haha. I'll report back on how it goes. 

1 ... 16 17 18

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uQwwwWrLttKAlxQQnCySXBSxAk14ukAtPgAXietwZebgKhfIwy78S31StgoRngkn