1 2 3
AllDaBeansRacing
AllDaBeansRacing New Reader
9/29/21 11:45 p.m.

I bought a cargo trailer that I converted into a camper, so I put the truck on the back burner for a bit... Finally got back started on it today.... I pulled the front springs and the upper control arms so I'll have an easier time changing the motor mounts tomorrow. After that, I'll cut a coil or so off the stock springs before tossing them back in. The ball joints don't look the best in the world, thinking about going ahead and doing all 4 ball joints and the upper and lower control arms on both sides while I got it apart.

AllDaBeansRacing
9/29/21 11:47 p.m.

Got the front suspension pulled apart. New control arm bushings, ball joints, all new steering components, etc going back in hopefully tomorrow.. oh, and v8 motor mounts... hopefully get the motor and trans set in sometime this week...

AllDaBeansRacing
9/29/21 11:48 p.m.

Finally finished up the front end.

AllDaBeansRacing
9/29/21 11:51 p.m.

Pushed it outside and hosed it off... it's looking mighty good.

AllDaBeansRacing
9/29/21 11:53 p.m.

Pulled the 5.3 apart to gap the rings. The motor looks pretty dang good until I got to the bearings, which were trashed. The crank had some very light scratches I could barely feel with my nail. I think a polish would take care of it, I need to drop it off at the machine shop sometime to have them check it over.... Eventually I'll do that and replace the bearings, hone the cyls, gap the rings, and toss it back together for a back up...

But for now I found a good deal on a lq4 6.0. I got it mostly pulled apart, but didn't pull any caps off yet to check the bearings, hopefully they look decent... It's a gen 3 block with gen 4 internals, should be perfect for what I'm doing.

I'm hoping to check the bearings on the 6.0 tomorrow, and get the rings gapped. If all looks good, I'll start tossing it back together. I got a full gasket kit for the 5.3, I think I can use everything from it except the head gaskets. I'll order some ls9 head gaskets IF the bottom end continues to look good.

I also order some long tube heads from schoenfeld, and should have pretty much everything I need to get the engine running n/a, which is how I'm going to run it for the first few months. I decided I'm going to sell the gt45 and get a better turbo, new hp goal is around 1000ish with the new turbo...

AllDaBeansRacing
9/29/21 11:55 p.m.

2005 6.0 lq4 (4th gen rods), .30 ring gap, ss2 cams, 862 heads, pac 1218 springs

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/30/21 9:18 a.m.

Oh dang, that main bearing is *hammered*

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
9/30/21 10:06 a.m.

I recommend a converter with that cam.

Similar to my '61 Apache - also running an LQ4, and have the VS Racing "Denmah Billet 7875" kit. I polished the combustion chambers and the tops of the pistons to a mirror shine with rouge, and very mild smoothing in the ports. I'm running the stock cam for now and decide what to put in once it's on the road.

You need a flip kit and spindles....... (big grin)

AllDaBeansRacing
9/30/21 11:14 a.m.

Motor and transmission are in. Ignore all the dust and greasy fingerprints, I'll get here all cleaned up when I'm done with the swap.

AllDaBeansRacing
9/30/21 11:17 a.m.

Here's a little picture show I made of the build so far. 

AllDaBeansRacing
9/30/21 11:19 a.m.

I decided to just put the fuel cell in the bed, so I tossed the bed back on and sprayed the dust off with the water hose. she's looking mighty fine.

AllDaBeansRacing
9/30/21 11:22 a.m.

I got the fuel cell in and mounted (not bolted down in pics.)

AllDaBeansRacing
9/30/21 11:24 a.m.

I started removing some of the wires from the truck that were no longer going to be used.

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
9/30/21 11:26 a.m.

Pics of the wood flags you make?

AllDaBeansRacing
9/30/21 11:26 a.m.

Tossed on the accessories and the radiator... it's getting closer!

AllDaBeansRacing
9/30/21 11:28 a.m.

I founded a like-new Hurst pro-matic shifter on market place for $150 bucks... score.

AllDaBeansRacing
9/30/21 11:31 a.m.

To get my driveshaft cut down was going to cost close to 200 bucks (because you have to replace the yoke), and because I'm going to swap to either an 8.8" or 9" rearend this winter, I'd didn't want to spend that kind of money only to redo it in a few months...

Instead, I got a 40 dollar driveshaft out of a 02 trailblazer and swap on my slip yoke... cheap, easy, and fit great.

AllDaBeansRacing
9/30/21 11:33 a.m.

I grabbed a Taurus 2 speed e-fan, an engine cover (for 5.3, couldn't find a 6.0 one), and a few pigtails that I need.

I was wanting to grab a stock battery cable, but for some reason pick n pull had all their truck on the ground and most didn't have tires. It was a pain in the....

Then I went to oriellys and got a battery/starter cable, a new lower radiator hose (pick n pull cut all theirs - ERR), a trans mount, some heater hose, and some clamps.

AllDaBeansRacing
9/30/21 11:35 a.m.

Tossed on the parts listed above and ran the fuel line (10an ptfe feed - 8an ptfe return.)

Started the motor for the first time (while in the truck), and it sounded great... but vats was still on (it was supposed to be shut off), so the engine would only run for 2-3 seconds at a time. ERRR

AllDaBeansRacing
9/30/21 11:37 a.m.

I picked up some super sweet ST "street truck" seats out of a Fiesta ST... I think they are going to look good in the obs.

AllDaBeansRacing
9/30/21 11:43 a.m.

Made up some brackets for the drivers side. I'll do the passenger seat here shortly. Ignore all the dirt and sweat, I'lld get the all cleaned up during final assembly...

AllDaBeansRacing
9/30/21 11:45 a.m.

I got the shifter mounted in a comfortable spot.

AllDaBeansRacing
9/30/21 11:47 a.m.

I sent the computer off to LT1SWAP.com to get the vats shut off and a base tune...

I have a friend who will do the final tune once the truck is done, but he just had a baby and I don't want to bother him right now.

AllDaBeansRacing
9/30/21 11:49 a.m.

ALL RIGHT, I think that gets us pretty much up to date... Hoping to be able to make a n/a pass this year before the track closes for winter.... 

Should have the turbo (7875) on next spring when the track reopens, should be a nice and day differents.

AllDaBeansRacing
9/30/21 11:51 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

It wasn't just the mains, it was the rod bearings and thrust bearing too. I think he had the converter improperly spaced and it was pushing on the crank.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
31VVHVCNV7CcMdnQbKfG9bTXIBY1bBr9ltBy0zXhZY4wLvO565z8AVKpeT5FcD08