racerxr650r
racerxr650r New Reader
8/27/16 1:36 p.m.

Adding this thread to track modifications and report success and failures of those and my merry band of racer wanna-be's.

I bought this car recently. It was already built as you see here. I will race it in the World Racing League Texas and Oklahoma region races. My race team is JoBo Racing. We have raced a '93 Mazda 626 in LeMons, Chump, and recently WRL for the past 3-4 years.

Here's some quick specs on the car as I bought it: - 1.8L B18A1 - Factory LSD - 5 speed - Hondata - Header - AEM fuel rail - Koni coilovers with Eibachs - K1 wheels with almost new Yoko A048 225/50-15 - Fuel Safe cell inside containment box (firewall) - Accusump - Proportioning valve - All steel braided lines - 5L ESS Fire system with nozzles @ cell, driver and engine bay - Ultrashield containment seat on slide with adjustable back brace - OMP 6-point harness (through 2017) - Window net - Fiberglass flares and custom seamless nose with ducting - SCCA-legal air dam - Lexan windshield - Carbon fiber hood

I am now prepping the car for the WRL event at Hallett Motor Racing Circuit on Oct 22-23. Here's the list of prep items I hope to complete before the race: - Freshen brakes: New pads (Hawk DTC-60's), rotors (Centric High Carbon), and calipers. - Replace front upper and lower ball joints and outer tie rod ends - Inspect and replace suspension bushings as needed. Bought a complete set of Energy Suspension bushings including the rear control arm bushings - Replace badly worn shifter linkage - Install an ASR rear sway bar - Create a template for the air dam/splitter (so I can build a new one after we accidentally destroy this one) - Freshen fluids: Brake Fluid, Engine Oil, Trans Oil - Buy and install a second set of Kosei K1 Racing wheels with Dunlop Direzza ZII tires

Anyone here have road/endurance experience with this motor? I got a number of questions and would like to get some experienced advice.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/27/16 2:49 p.m.

I have nothing to add other than it looks like you have a very solid foundation already. I saw you have an accusump but do you have a bigger pan? My experience with this motor just on the street is that they liked to burn some oil with high rpms even with a fresh motor. 10w40 synthetic slowed that way down.

racerxr650r
racerxr650r New Reader
8/27/16 5:48 p.m.

It has a 4 qt moroso pan.

It's also plumbed with a remote oil filter, oil cooler, and remote oil temp and pressure sensors. Add to that the oil catch can, fire system plumbing/nozzles, and top end breather hoses and it looks like spaghetti under this hood. Remote oil filters and even oil coolers always make me nervous. It's just another point of failure under the hood.

racerxr650r
racerxr650r New Reader
8/29/16 2:57 p.m.

I pre-charged and drained the accusump, changed the oil and filter, re-charged/filled the accusump, and then topped off the oil. The motor with the 4 qt Moroso oil pan, Bosch 3500 remote oil filter, 3 qt Accusump, and oil cooler holds about 8 qts of oil. I doubt I need much more capacity.

I will plan to check the oil level at each pit stop/driver change during the race in October.

racerxr650r
racerxr650r New Reader
8/29/16 3:04 p.m.

After a little research, I decided to run Valvoline Synchromesh MTF in the transmission. Not knowing what and how much was currently in the transmission, I drained it and refilled it.

I've run the Valvoline MTF in my Mazda 626 race car for the past few seasons and never had a problem. I had used a synthetic gear oil originally but the synchronizers were weak in the original transmission from the time I bought the car and 3rd gear eventually failed. So, I've run Pennzoil or Valvoline Synchromesh MTF since that time.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PQxkFj6DUlzicylp4IhV8SBKTJZ3l7TT26rTCKlThAbvhKzCTQB7ENbAG7HPwBKV