44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
8/21/22 8:45 p.m.

Hi Gang.

Been a while since I've been on here.  I've picked up my late brother's 91 Mercedes 190E.  He didn't have it long himself. 245,000 on the 2.6.

Seems to run well he'd done a full tune-up and exhaust, springs, shocks, and tires.  some vacuum line work as well and I can see one (red with silver stripe by the wiper motor) that is snapped but the other end is MIA.  Does anyone know a site that will have a point-to-point schematic of all the hard plastic vacuum lines?

The battery has some sort of drain if it sits 3 weeks it's dead. it is a new battery in 21 so it should be still good but not ruled out yet either.

It does ride nice and handles well for a 91 but....is there more to squeeze out of it?  How much can a automatic take? Plan is to keep it as a back up to my 05 cobalt ss (247000miles) and the wife 09 wrx wagon (175000miles).

Thanks for the help

Tony aka 44Dwarf

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
8/22/22 9:42 a.m.

You should be able to find the vacuum diagram anywhere. Look on Benzworld, Peachparts, or 190rev.net

I also have a 190e but a Sportline, great car. You can def squeeze more out of the handling but for HP its a little tricky because the m103 doesn't have a whole lot of aftermarket but these engines take boost very well. The best thing you can honestly do is manual swap it, that really wakes up the car and motor. The autos are pretty terrible and kills everything to like about this chassis. Manual swap should be pretty easy to be honest. I have a list of parts and everything needed BUT its in my car which is being stored at a friend's house in Texas (I'm in Virginia) lol. The Mercedes forums are pretty extensive in knowledge and active, every bit of knowledge you'll ever need is there. 

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
8/22/22 12:47 p.m.

Thanks for the leads.  It's been years since there been a euro can in my driveway wasn't aware Pelican branched out in to MB and others. I used to get my 944 parts from them.

I'd love to find a Sportline steering wheel so i could get in and out of the car easier.... My wifes never going to like it with the stock wheel.

Azryael
Azryael HalfDork
8/22/22 1:05 p.m.

I used to subscribe to EPC back in the day, but since stopped overpaying for a parts catalog, and use this instead: https://nemigaparts.com/cat_spares/epc/mercedes/1/

It'll have all the parts diagrams and vacuum diagrams you need.

More specifically, you can start here for your 201.029 (190E 2.6, MY88+): https://nemigaparts.com/cat_spares/epc/mercedes/1/fg/201029/15d/

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
8/24/22 12:38 p.m.

Thank you both I've found some diagrams but none that are color-coded yet also this thing has Relays and fuse here there and everywhere under little black covers but no verbiage of what they are for! They are OEM for sure kind of maddening when trying to track down why the horns blowing after a dead battery. (found it was a alarm close and lock the drivers door after popping the hood then connect the charger)

Not sure whats up with the battery dead every two three weeks somethings got to be turning on to draw it down. That's where I'm going to start tracking things down.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
8/24/22 4:17 p.m.

I'd start with that alarm.   They can cause a myriad of headaches

Azryael
Azryael HalfDork
8/27/22 5:09 p.m.

You're going to honestly have a hard time finding anything color coded beyond wiring; even looking up parts numbers for the actual vacuum lines these days tells you nothing, as most vendors just consider vacuum line to be vacuum line. You'll likely end up with clear, or clear with a blue stripe.

Your best bet will be to follow the line from endpoint to endpoint, and just replace it with the correct diamter line; the diagrams at least make it easy enough to find the starting and end points for a particular vacuum line.

Factory alarms are a pain in the ass, so I offer my condolences, and not much additional advice other than to just dig into it.

Rocambolesque
Rocambolesque Reader
8/27/22 11:07 p.m.

Actually, there should be a schematic of the vacuum circuit on the top of the radiator support!

I have a 190E too, but it's a 2.3. I know those cars quite well. Post pictures and I might be able to help you.

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
8/28/22 9:12 a.m.

In reply to Rocambolesque :

Yours still have that sticker? Lol

Rocambolesque
Rocambolesque Reader
8/28/22 4:28 p.m.

I painted the radiator support this winter so I had to remove it, but it was there until I started prepping!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Tb9EledZvLbCpXH5fb29XCsvRt3ZIcGGi4Epq5joNEnqheIcm8kwvvKGdksnl1yb