1 ... 4 5 6
a_florida_man
a_florida_man GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/15/24 10:36 p.m.
John Welsh said:

In reply to a_florida_man :

I see you were properly "East Bound and Down".

Well, we ain't never not made it yet!

a_florida_man
9/15/24 10:42 p.m.

So the 1st thing has been very rewarding.

The dome light was not working. The map lights were not working.

10A fuse, lower left of kick panel block.

IMPOSSIBLE for my big old fat behind to see, but I could feel it!

Pulled it.

Blown!!!

Replaced it, no snap sound just glorious light.

Further inspection revealed that in addition to fixing the map and dome lights, it also turned on the security light, turned off the airbag light, turned on the clock, made the key chime work, and restored function to the power antenna, AND the power locks.

Damn.

Best fuse ever!

Then it happened. Jack came outside and chewed my butt. Seriously. 

This is his car and any work we do on it we do it together. HE WANTS TO LEARN. He was legit mad... took his key back from me.

Im grounded.

:(

a_florida_man
9/15/24 10:45 p.m.
a_florida_man said:

We are home!

I'm pretty sure I would have pushed that car home from the north pole for that picture.

tb we had a blast.

I had no idea how sincerely significant and outstanding this trip would be. Thanks for making it happen, my friend.

Motojunky
Motojunky Reader
9/15/24 10:57 p.m.

Words like "awesome" are frequently overused. In this case, it's spot on. 

golfduke
golfduke Dork
9/16/24 9:40 a.m.

I vote to keep this the build/maintenance thread!  what a deal on the car, and first right of refusal now makes all the sense in the world.  Props to you TB for likely sparking a teen's interest in performance autos... 

a_florida_man
9/16/24 12:03 p.m.
golfduke said:

I vote to keep this the build/maintenance thread!  what a deal on the car, and first right of refusal now makes all the sense in the world.  Props to you TB for likely sparking a teen's interest in performance autos... 

Im going to give tb a little more in the props dept... I've been striking the interest for years... had a small smoldering flicker going... and then tb dumped gas on the fire and it is raging out of control.

Seriously though... I've learned that Jack has quietly developed tastes and opinions all along, and having this car as a project is prompting him to share them. And that IS awesome. 

tb
tb Dork
9/16/24 2:30 p.m.

Thanks, guys! Throwing fuel on the fire is kinda what I have been known to do so can't deny some of that... 

Honestly, though, I didn't really do much at all. Everyone involved made it work in the end, we are just glad that he likes HIS old car.

a_florida_man
9/16/24 2:58 p.m.

I have found a lot of surprises in the past when digging into a project car.

Last night we were digging around and found old wires and pieces of old cellular phone installations, alarms, stereos etc...

This is the first time I've ever found a full underbody neon light system. It's coated with grime... probably hasn't been turned on in this millennium. 

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
9/16/24 3:27 p.m.

Oh please revive the old school street glow! 

tb
tb Dork
9/16/24 4:00 p.m.

I forgot about that stuff! I really wanted to put a modern led setup on it but never got around to it...

FYI, not grime. Rust preventing wax oil all over the bottom. Def going to need to wash her clean, not required in the south

a_florida_man
9/17/24 9:34 a.m.

Ok.

Wax Oil. That's new to me. :)

What exactly is it?

What is the best way to remove it?

We are presently planning on doing a clutch hydraulic repair, and then going down to the touchless car wash for a good underbody wash before doing a detail cleaning of the bottom and all of the fluid changes and general inspections.

tb you will be happy to know we just placed our 1st Z1 order... one of many to come I am sure.

golfduke
golfduke Dork
9/17/24 9:41 a.m.
a_florida_man said:

Ok.

Wax Oil. That's new to me. :)

What exactly is it?

What is the best way to remove it?

We are presently planning on doing a clutch hydraulic repair, and then going down to the touchless car wash for a good underbody wash before doing a detail cleaning of the bottom and all of the fluid changes and general inspections.

tb you will be happy to know we just placed our 1st Z1 order... one of many to come I am sure.

It's very popular in new england because of the salt... A pressure washer and goo gone typically will take care of most/all of it.  Enough to work on things with less, um, mess at least... 

tb
tb Dork
9/17/24 10:09 a.m.

Yeah, it is an old school northern way to keep the metal protected and works really well for as simple as it is. Degreaser and rinse well; you don't need it and don't want it.

I hope the upkeep goes well!

a_florida_man
9/17/24 5:58 p.m.

Parts are on deck for the first repair.

It might be overkill but the new owner is anxious to get behind the wheel.

OEM clutch master and slave with an aftermarket replacement hose that replaces several tees lines and bleeders.

1 ... 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nLPJUFywlz5ILBq09tQMexANbcZTXh2V86uAEIVJtfa0vLiVL3IAYjudlmwAOLW5